Go Back  

Dog Crippled by Tornado Crawls Its Way Home. 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 05-21-2011, 01:14 AM
rottenflesh
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:439
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1497
Dog Crippled by Tornado Crawls Its Way Home.

If a tornado picked you up, threw you across the sky, and set you down in an unfamiliar place far away from home, and you broke two legs in the process, could you find your way back? That’s exactly the incredible story of Mason, a terrier mix in Alabama.

“On [Wednesday] April 27th,” WBRC-TV reports, “Mason was hiding in his garage in North Smithfield when the storm picked him up and blew him away. His owners couldn’t find him and had about given up when they came back Monday to sift through the debris, and found Mason waiting for them on the porch.”

But Mason didn’t just find his way home. Because of the severity of his injuries, he couldn’t even walk. He had to crawl home:

<****** width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k6A1UBLKjFk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></******>

“He‘s got 2 broken legs and they’re distal radial ulnal fractures, they’ve not been able to be in alignment so neither one of them have healed so he had to crawl on 2 broken legs to get home,” said Dr. Barbara Benhart, staff veterinarian at the Birmingham-Jefferson Co. Animal Control Shelter.

“This is probably the most dramatic we‘ve seen as far as an injury in an animal that’s survived this long,” said Phil Doster, also with the shelter. “It’s kind of tapering off, the amount of animals we’re seeing because of the storm. For an animal just to show up on someone’s porch after this time was pretty remarkable, especially with the condition he’s in.”

Mason‘s owners asked the shelter to take him because they’re not able to care for him while they try and piece their lives back together, and now Mason’s amazing tale gets better with the help of a donation from the Vulcan Park Animal Care Clinic.

“He called and asked if there was anything he could do, last week, and this dog appeared today and so I called him, and never a hesitation, he offered ‘bring it on over and he’ll see what he can do,” said Dr. Benhart.

Now with a little luck and a lot of love, Mason may become a mascot for storm survivors on four and 2 legs.

According to an update posted on the news station’s site, Mason is scheduled for a long surgery today. And while it will be a difficult one, he is expected to survive.

TL;DR: Damn Onions

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rottenflesh For This Useful Post:
Kensomniac, slapchoppa
Old 05-21-2011, 02:47 AM
JEW
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1364

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss265
Re: Dog Crippled by Tornado Crawls Its Way Home.

That dog dragged his ass home with two broken legs and his family gave him up.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:10 AM
xXRockerGuyXx
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:563
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1068

Amazing

Old 05-21-2011, 07:03 AM
jinzo
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:2927
female

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss79

good post

Old 05-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Kensomniac
Offline:
Poster Rank:484
Male

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1322

who put all these onions in here? they're not going to do well with all this dust...

really an amazing story.. animals are always so surprising when it comes to this kind of thing.. it's one thing to find your way home after a catastrophe, another thing to crawl on broken legs just so you can be with your family...

someone cook this dog a steak.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 AM
slimjim77
Offline:
Poster Rank:1342
Animal

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss270

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEW View Post
That dog dragged his ass home with two broken legs and his family gave him up.
^^^This, he deserves some loyalty shown back, I bet his owners suffered no more than a scratch and a financial cost, bet they never even went looking..

The Following User Says Thank You to slimjim77 For This Useful Post:
JEW
Old 05-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Kensomniac
Offline:
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim77 View Post
^^^This, he deserves some loyalty shown back, I bet his owners suffered no more than a scratch and a financial cost, bet they never even went looking..
Well, considering their house was destroyed by a tornado.. you can't really blame them. Why keep a dog you can't feed or care for when you can set it up in a shelter (article even said temporarily) where it can eat, have its medical needs cared for, and have a roof over its head?

In my opinion it was less selfish of them to put the dog up for a while, the dog has more of a home than they do right now.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:04 AM
slimjim77
Offline:
Animal

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensomniac View Post
Well, considering their house was destroyed by a tornado.. you can't really blame them. Why keep a dog you can't feed or care for when you can set it up in a shelter (article even said temporarily) where it can eat, have its medical needs cared for, and have a roof over its head?

In my opinion it was less selfish of them to put the dog up for a while, the dog has more of a home than they do right now.
I can see your point, and I guess I am being a bit harsh, I just kinda see it along the lines of the poor dog crawled all that way in that state after going through something that he wouldn't be able to comprehend ( we can at least comprehend why a tornado is trashing our house) and because he loved his family that much he got back to them. I think giving him up after all that is wrong, I mean truthfully if their home got trashed then its all gone, the dog wasn't gone. Just me being a sentimental fool I guess.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slimjim77 For This Useful Post:
JEW, Kensomniac
Old 05-21-2011, 10:06 AM
slimjim77
Offline:
Animal

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss270

Plus, IMHO a dog would rather be with its pack/family than be warm and with a roof over its head.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slimjim77 For This Useful Post:
JEW, Kensomniac
Old 05-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Kensomniac
Offline:
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim77 View Post
Plus, IMHO a dog would rather be with its pack/family than be warm and with a roof over its head.
Definitely, no doubt that an animal that would crawl however far on broken legs wants to be with it's people. If only more people would act like that.