Quoted: 4827 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss13013
Do Not Take Vitamins

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...es-health.html

Taking multi-vitamin pills 'does nothing for our health'
Research shows vitamin takers are just as likely to develop cancer or heart disease as those who take no tablets
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 12:24 AM on 27th December 2011
Comments (119)

New research shows that taking supplements can actually harm you
They are a daily essential for millions of Britons hoping to ward off ill-health.
But despite the millions of pounds spent on vitamin pills, they do nothing for our health, according to a major study.
Researchers spent more than six years following 8,000 people and found that those taking supplements were just as likely to have developed cancer or heart disease as those who took an identical-looking dummy pill.
And when they were questioned on how healthy they felt, there was hardly any difference between the two groups.
Experts said the study – one of the most extensive carried out into vitamin pills – suggested that millions of consumers may be wasting their money on supplements.
Many users fall into the category of the ‘worried well’ – healthy adults who believe the pills will insure them against deadly illnesses – according to Catherine Collins, chief dietician at St George’s Hospital in London.
She said: ‘It’s the worried well who are taking these pills to try and protect themselves against Alzheimer’s disease, heart attacks and strokes.

More...
Cancer fund betrayal: It promised £200m for vital drugs, but millions still haven't been spent - and patients are paying the price
Traditional allergy tests can lead to misdiagnosis
‘But they are wasting their money. This was a large study following people up for a long period of time assessing everything from their mobility and blood pressure to whether they were happy or felt pain.’
Multi-vitamin supplements have become increasingly popular as a quick and easy way of topping up the body’s nutrient levels.
But a series of studies have indicated that, for some people, they could actually be harmful.
Two studies published last year suggested supplements could raise the risk of cancer.
'It's the worried well who are taking these pills to try and protect themselves...but they are wasting their money'
One found pills containing vitamin E, ascorbic acid, beta-carotene, selenium and zinc increased the risk of malignant melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, four-fold.
The other discovered women on a daily multi-vitamin pill increased their risk of breast cancer by up to 20 per cent.
While the evidence that vitamins can do harm is still limited, the latest study seems to confirm that many people are at the very least taking them unnecessarily.
A team of French researchers, led by experts at Nancy University, tracked 8,112 volunteers who took either a placebo capsule, or one containing vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, selenium and zinc, every day for just over six years.
They assessed the state of their health at the beginning and end of the trial, taking a quality of life survey designed to measure everything from mobility and pain to vitality and mental health.
When researchers analysed how many in each group had gone on to develop serious illnesses over the years, they found little difference.
In the supplement group, 30.5 per cent of patients had suffered a major health ‘event’, such as cancer or heart disease.
In the placebo group, the rate was 30.4 per cent.
There were 120 cases of cancer in those taking vitamins, compared to 139 in the placebo group, and 65 heart disease cases, against 57 among the dummy pill users.
In a report on their findings, published in the International Journal of Epidemiology, the researchers said: ‘The perception that supplementation improves general well-being is not supported by this trial.’
Miss Collins said the results of the study ‘reinforce the idea that if you’re worried about your health and start taking multi-vitamins, you will still be worried about it six years later’.
But the Health Supplements Information Service, which is funded by supplements manufacturers, said the finding that vitamins had no impact on how people perceived their health was ‘to be expected’.
Spokeswoman Dr Carrie Ruxton said: ‘The role of vitamin supplements is to prevent deficiencies and make sure people are receiving their recommended levels.
‘They won’t have a measurable impact on how you feel on a day-to-day basis but what they are doing is topping up your recommended levels to the right amount. They are not meant to be a magic bullet.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz1hnHVGTVz

Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 PM
BigFoot
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:657

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss834
Re: Do Not Take Vitamins

Great. Now I'm screwed even more.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

Oh Nooooooooz we have been lied to, bastards.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Mizz_Russia
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:887
Female

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss523

fuuuuu lol what a waste

Old 12-28-2011, 02:36 AM
Angelahh
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:84
meow
Contributions: 41

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12278

daily mail - words to live by

The Following User Says Thank You to Angelahh For This Useful Post:
Azimuth
Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 AM
prax22a
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:943
dude

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss470

Another UK Tabloid paper

Old 12-28-2011, 07:43 AM
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:396
Male

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1836

just goes to show how fucked up peer reviewed science reports are, for every good ,theirs another science group saying it doesnt work, not that i give a fuck cause i dont take multi vitamins, of course its a load of shit, its a market that sucks alot of people in thinking " oh instead of eating a shitload of different fruit/vege to get my daily intake of vitamins ill just take a pill that has all that" hmmm im suspicious of everything

Old 12-28-2011, 12:27 PM
zykron
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:751
Truth Teller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss691

Well first off, the title is misleading, the article talks explicitly about multivitamin tablets, rather than separate tablets for A, C, E, etc. So, we should keep taking vitamins.
Second, that's too bad, I plan to keep taking vitamins if I feel the need for an extra C, or beta carotene, etc.
Why else would doctors be telling people to keep taking vitamins if they didn't work? Vitamins cannot possibly be bad for you, so I say: keep taking them.

The Following User Says Thank You to zykron For This Useful Post:
kellyhound
Old 12-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Azimuth
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:33
Woman

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss23376

Yeah okay, this was about your run-of-the-mill multi-vitamin.

I take 4,000 mg/day of fish oil including 1,200 mg omega-3. It has lowered my cholesterol enough that I do not need statins, which I couldn't tolerate due to severe leg cramping. So, I will continue to take them.

I'm a believer.

candymosh, kellyhound
Old 12-28-2011, 07:35 PM
JayceeBugg
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3398
I have boobies:)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss62

I'm pregnant. I would REALLY like to know if my prenatal pills are helping. I always looked at it as extra health insurance for the baby, and a boost for my hair and nails haha My diet is really crazy, so I figured it would help me get the right nutrients... Jeez, it will be a different story next year anyhow