0/11 sssss8123
Debt Collectors Use Facebook to Collect

Collection Agencies Using Facebook to Track You Down

Updated: Wednesday, 26 Jan 2011, 10:49 PM CST
Published : Wednesday, 26 Jan 2011, 9:38 PM CST

* NED HIBBERD

NED HIBBERD
Reporter

HOUSTON - That new “friend” you made on Facebook could actually be a debt collector in disguise.

Collection agencies are turning to social media not only to track you down, but to search through profiles for evidence of shopping sprees, vacations, and even employment information.

And some debt collectors are crossing the line.

FOX 26 News tapped the expertise of consumer attorney Dana Karni.

Dana Karni: For your friends to see that there's a post on your wall that says, “I'm being collected on by a debt collector,” that's mortifying. I can't imagine how embarrassing that is.

Dana Karni: And, really, the issue is kind of new because social networking is new. But as new as it is, it's that abusive and then some.

Dana Karni: The problem is that, under federal law, debt collectors are not allowed to contact third parties, unless they're trying to locate the debtor. But if they know how to communicate with the debtor, because the debtor's provided a home phone number, maybe a work phone number, an address, then that's where the debt collector needs to start.

Dana Karni: Going to Facebook and trying to find the profile or friends of someone and trying to go that route is really problematic because the likelihood is very great that the debt collector will be revealing, in that process, that they're attempting to collect a debt. And that, in and of itself, is an abusive collection tactic.

What can you do?

Experts say debt collectors will likely look through your Facebook status updates and photos for anything that suggests you have the money to pay them back. They’ll even look through your list of friends to see if anyone reveals info about you there.

That means it’s your job to make sure your Facebook is locked down. Double check your privacy settings to verify your information, statuses, photos, etc. can only be viewed by friends. Lastly, make sure the friend requests you accept are actually from your real friends.

This strikes me as hilarious.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:21 AM
slimjim77
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1342
Animal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss270
Re: Debt Collectors Use Facebook to Collect

Apart form the breach of confidentiality from plastering that info all over some persons facebook, isn't that illegal? I know they can't do anything like that in the UK but I wouldn't be surprised if they started using facebook as a tool to try and track people down.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:25 AM
slimjim77
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1342
Animal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss270

Saying that though, I have a friend who told me of a debt collector calling his neighbour claiming to be a family member, he said there was a death in the family and need to get a message to my mates dad. The person on the end of the phone said they knew him as they lived a couple of doors down and went to get him. He answered the phone and the dude on the end of it says " mr so and so of 1234 debt avenue" he says yes, so they guy says we have some mail for you and hangs up....... few days later and they were on his door.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 PM
souris
Offline:
SpanMan!
Poster Rank:105
guy

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 14/20
Today Posts
10/11 sssss9517

^ drag. The best way to avoid debt collectors is to not borrow money unless you can pay it back. Fuck credit cards.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:08 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

I think it is a big no no...I'm not sure though.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts