Go Back  

Cyclis Hit Dog - Do You Think This is Fare? 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 AM
chefbob09
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:243
Male

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3577
Cyclis Hit Dog - Do You Think This is Fare?

This is a story that is on local news in this lovely country of mine, you think its fare the dog gets run over and the dogs owners land up paying damages?

South Africa, Pretoria - A man has been ordered to pay damages after his Jack Russell dog ran into the road and collided with two cyclists.

Dog owner Jacques Fourie from Monument Park in Pretoria, has to pay R52 921.31(about $10 000) to one of the cyclists, Jaco Prinsloo, 23.

Prinsloo and his sister, Petri Prinsloo, 25, took the matter to the North Gauteng Court after the accident on September 12, 2007.

The Prinsloos were both students at the University of Pretoria at the time and also lived in Monument Park.

The parties reached a settlement on Monday according to which Fourie admitted 100% to the merits of the case and in favour of both plaintiffs, and must pay this amount to Jaco Prinsloo on May 11.

Prinsloo, who initially claimed R65 635,(about $10 000) sustained soft tissue injuries to his left ankle and foot.

Fractures

His sister claimed R192 038(about $30 000) from Fourie. The matter to determine the extent of her damages was postponed indefinitely on Monday.

According to the plaintiff's court documents, Petri Prinsloo had two crack fractures and two fractures.

Konrad Röntgen of the lawyer's firm Röntgen & Röntgen Inc, who represented the Prinsloos, said the two had been on a training ride on the morning of the accident. The dog ran behind a row of refuse bins on the pavement of Makou Street, in which Fourie lived, and then onto the road.

The Prinsloos' father, Danie Prinsloo of Somerset West, told reporters his son cycled over the dog and the dog landed under his daughter's bike.

His children fell from their bikes and his daughter fell on her head, shoulder and hip.

Petri claimed R1 350(About $200) for the loss of her shoes and crash helmet and for repairs to her bike.

According to the Prinsloos' court documents, Fourie should have prevented the dog from coming out of his yard and he should have controlled the dog.

Fourie denied being negligent in his defence plea. He said if the court found that he was negligent, he would argue that it had not led to the collision or caused it.

[Danie] Prinsloo said the dog survived the accident, but it died a few months later due to other causes

Old 04-13-2011, 12:25 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123
Re: Cyclis Hit Dog - Do You Think This is Fare?

Sounds like one of those wrong place, wrong time deals. Guess Americans aren't the only ones quick to jump on a lawsuit when they see one.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:11 PM
ChockFullOfChock
Offline:
Madonna vergine bugiarda.
Poster Rank:301
Male

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2628

Yeah, it's 'fare'. You are responsible for your pets, and if you can't control them, it's gonna land at your feet.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Kyle416
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1394
Male

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss258

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfChock View Post
Yeah, it's 'fare'. You are responsible for your pets, and if you can't control them, it's gonna land at your feet.
I agree. I'm a dog lover, but you have to control them if you're going to own one.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 PM
abacus
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1589
Male

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss210

Similar incident happened outside my house a few months ago. Dog ran out in front of a car and was knocked down. The owner had to pay €2000 euro in damages and repairs + the VET fee for the dog. It was her own fault as she did not have the dog under control or on a lead. Its 100% fair.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Darkmist74
Offline:
★ Gore Fanatic ★
Poster Rank:429
male

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfChock View Post
Indeed......that's why they have leash laws.