Cyborg.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11605
Curses In Islam

In Islam, one can pray for God to curse someone. This is done with the Arabic word La'nat. "La'nat" means deprivation, and can be used in expressions such as "La'anatullah", "May (he/she/it) be deprived of God's (blessings)". So, the curse is not to be understood as gaining evil, rather of losing the blessings of God.

There are in the Qur'an several verses where God deprived human populations from God's blessings (cursed) because of their sins:

The Quran, chapter 33 (Al-Ahzab), verse 68:
“Our Lord! Oh, give them double torment and curse them with a mighty curse. .— translated by M. H. Shakir"

The Quran, chapter 3 (Aale Imran), verse 86 to 87:
“How shall Allah guide a person who disbelieved after their believing and (after) they had borne witness that the Messenger was true and clear arguments had come to them; and Allah does not guide the unjust people. (As for) these, their reward is that upon them is the curse of Allah and the angels and of men, all together.— translated by M. H. Shakir

”
The end of the verse can be understood as "As for the unjust, their actions caused them to be deprived from the blessings of God, the angels and humans, all together."

Also, there are hadith where Muhammad invoked God's la'nat upon humans. The most famous hadith regarding invoking God's curse is the Hadith of Mubahela, also mentioned in the Qur'an:

The Quran, chapter 3 (Aale Imran), verse 61:
“But whoever disputes with you in this matter after what has come to you of knowledge, then say: Come let us call our sons and your sons and our women and your women and ourselves and yourselves, then let us be earnest in prayer, and pray for the curse of Allah on the liars.— translated by M. H. Shakir"

There was an ongoing treaty with the Christians of Najran in the 9 AH. The treaty was regarded of vital importance, it was not the result either of war. it ended in Mubahela between Muhammad and the Christians of Najran.

The Sunni Muslims do not place much emphasis on cursing. They do not believe Muhammad would have sanctioned it. For example, they cite that after being attacked by a mob of ruffians in a town in which he had attempted to preach Islam to, the angel Gabriel offered that God could destroy the town, however, the Prophet preferred to pray that the children of the townsfolk be guided by God. However, in the Qur'an, figures such as Jesus regularly curse the Jews for their rejection of him, so it is not outside of Islamic tradition.

One of the classic Sunni scholars was asked about cursing Yezid, the tyrant and perpetrator of violence against the Ahlul-Bayt, and replied that he found it better to praise Hussayn, the martyred grandson of Muhammad, than to curse Yezid.

The Ahbash Sunni movement in Lebanon, too, are reported to allow cursing the enemies of the Ahlul-Bayt, as they are established in Sunni sources as enemies of God.

Cursing is permissible in Sunni Islam if the one being cursed is alive and is clearly behaving as tyrants. However, Sunnis do not curse dead people because they feel as soon as a person dies-God administers judgement to them and it is impossible to change this. Sunni's generally don't curse dead people-an example is the assassin of Umar who is not cursed by Sunnis.

The Shi'a Muslims generally believe cursing as a part of Tabarra (one of the Branches of the Religion). They further argue that the curse is a prayer, hence God is entitled to not accept the prayer and abstain from invoking the deprivation. Further, cursing is a Sunnah established by God himself in the Qur'an in various verses. Shi'a also present hadith where the Shia Imams invoked the curse of Allah upon the killers of [Imam Hussain], and quote Qur'anic verses where Jesus and other prophets curse those who reject them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ess-Eye For This Useful Post:
Billthegravedigger, Dynamo47, Sharon
Old 02-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Dynamo47
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:379
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1905
Re: Curses In Islam

Thanks for the post. That was pretty interesting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dynamo47 For This Useful Post:
Billthegravedigger, Ess-Eye
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:89
Male.

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11689

Yes it was interesting. Wonder how many of them curse us everyday ?

Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 PM
luton loyal
Offline:
Poster Rank:115

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 15/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss8704

weirdos

Old 02-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

WHERE'S MY GODDAMN PICKLE???????? I curse McDonalds for 1000 years.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blewvane For This Useful Post:
Billthegravedigger, djalrock v2.0, Ess-Eye, Nutbutter
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 AM
sevens7ar
Offline:
Poster Rank:1483
Male

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss234

curse? i thought if they didn't like you they just cut your head off with a rusty blade or a chainsaw.

The Following User Says Thank You to sevens7ar For This Useful Post:
Billthegravedigger
Old 02-02-2012, 02:38 PM
ez15
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:8673

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

Your wording alot of the text how you want to believe it.

I know alot of muslim people and they read this and told me islam is definitely not used to curse people!!

So you say "one can pray for God to curse someone". And after that you said "the curse is not to be understood as gaining evil, rather of losing the blessings of God. It wouldn't be considered a curse if its not evil? think about it, i think 80% of the Americans just hate Muslims due to the fact that they dont know anything about them/ probably cause their just plane old racist.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Poster Rank:89
Male.

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11689

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez15 View Post

I know alot of muslim people and they read this and told me islam is definitely not used to curse people!!

So you say "one can pray for God to curse someone". And after that you said "the curse is not to be understood as gaining evil, rather of losing the blessings of God. It wouldn't be considered a curse if its not evil? think about it, i think 80% of the Americans just hate Muslims due to the fact that they dont know anything about them/ probably cause their just plane old racist.
Well, I am not one of them. I only hate people that give me a reason to. However, there are some people that come on here and cheer the Muslims on that did 9/11, and other shit. When they do that, what can they expect from people ?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Ess-Eye
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:90
Cyborg.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11605
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez15 View Post

3 things.

1. I'm not American, I'm British.

2. I absolutely do NOT hate Muslims, I hate Islamic extremists, there is a gargantuan difference between the two.

And finally

3. My OP is from Wikipedia, so I didn't write anything "how I wanted to believe it" I simply copied and pasted the article, cheating I know, but I'm British, what more do you expect??

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ess-Eye For This Useful Post:
Billthegravedigger, HairyGrape, Nutbutter, Sharon
Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 AM
carkees
Offline:
My Rank: SECOND LIEUTENANT
Poster Rank:177
definately female
Contributions: 6

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Activity Longevity