0/11 sssss8123
Cps Puts 3 Year Old on Psychotropic Drugs

CPS Puts 3-Year-Old on Psychotropic Drugs

Updated: Thursday, 19 May 2011, 11:13 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 19 May 2011, 10:29 PM CDT

RANDY WALLACE

RANDY WALLACE
Investigative Reporter

HOUSTON - For now, 4-year-old Rachel Harrison is back with her parents.

"She belongs with her mother and her father" Rachel's father David Harrison said.

But if Child Protective Services has its way, Rachel's 28-year-old father David and her 24-year-old mother Christina will not be her legal guardians. CPS wants her to be adopted by non-relatives.

"If it was up to them absolutely they'd take her away in a heartbeat," David said.

== Positive for Cocaine ==

You're probably thinking: David and Christina must have done something really awful to their little girl for CPS to spend almost a year trying to terminate their parental rights.

"They actually testified in the first hearing that Rachel was never neglected, never abused and she was a happy healthy child," Rachel's mother Christina said.

Neither parent has been convicted of a felony, so then why is the state agency so hell bent on stripping this couple of their parental rights?

"I went to the hospital to get my appendix out and tested positive for cocaine," Christina said.

When asked, David confirmed he too tested positive for the illegal drug.

Even though CPS has offered no evidence in court that Rachel was ever harmed by her parents’ prior drug use, just the fact that they've done drugs is enough for CPS to say they should not be parents.

Why was the couple doing drugs?

"Just recreational use out with friends, holidays, an occasion never did it with Rachel around," David said.

== Child Transforms ==

CPS took custody of Rachel in July 2010.

"At first we didn't see her for 3 or 4 months, they refused visitations," Christina said.

When they finally got supervised visits with Rachel, family members said they couldn't believe their eyes.

You might not either. A picture of Rachel taken 1 week before CPS took custody of her paints a very different picture of Rachel 6 months later.

"When I seen her in foster care it was killing me," Rachel's grandmother Debbie Flores said.

"Every time we would go visit her at visitation she was skinner and she'd just be lethargic not wanting to move not wanting to say hi just sit in the corner and keep to herself," David said

"She'd be drooling at the mouth her tongue would be hanging out she couldn't focus it was terrible and I'd ask them is she on drugs and they said no," Debbie said.

== CPS Prescribed Drugs ==

But in a January court hearing, CPS admitted the then 3-year-old was put on a number of psychotropic drugs including risperidone, a drug commonly used to treat schizophrenia.

"I think no 3-year-old needs to be on psychotropic drugs. None of them are psychotic," Christina said.

There seems to be a question as to which CPS-contracted doctor prescribed all the drugs and why, according to court transcripts.

Case workers have testified they had to place Rachel in various foster homes because she would act up.

She acted up, her parents said, because she wanted to be home with them.

== Judge Frustrated with CPS ==

While most judges seem to just rubber stamp the wishes of CPS, Associate Judge Steven Newhouse is the complete opposite. We were in the courtroom for 2 recent hearings and the judge didn't even try to hide his frustration.

"There's no evidence the child had any behavioral issues before CPS came into her life,” Newhouse said in 1 hearing. “As soon as CPS takes her, now she needs help."

In the hearings we attended, CPS suddenly changed case workers.

"So no case worker knows what the other case worker is doing that's their game," David said.

Whenever the judge would ask case workers specific questions, he would get the same response such as "I'm new to the case" or "I don't have access to the file."

"What's more harmful, sitting on this child's needs or the parent's alleged drug use?” a clearly frustrated Newhouse asked a case worker and her supervisor.

== A CPS Vendetta? ==

Why is CPS so adamant about taking this little girl away from her family?

"I suspect this is a vendetta, basically against me for exposing them back in 2007," Rachel's grandmother said.

That's when Debbie Flores first contacted FOX 26 Investigates. CPS took Rachel from Christina soon after her birth because mom tested positive for marijuana

A home video we originally aired in 2007, documents a horrifying case of diaper rash Rachel had while in foster care.

During a CPS-supervised visitation, not 1 but 2 case workers looked at the baby's awful condition, but neither decided to seek immediate medical attention.

A big mistake CPS later admitted to making.

"When a parent messes up, you call CPS,” Christina said. “Who do you call when CPS messes up? There's nothing you can do."

== No End in Sight ==

David and Christina have both tested negative for drugs for many months now and they've done everything CPS has requested of them, according to court testimony.

For that reason, the judge gave Rachel back to them.

Still CPS plans to file suit in order to terminate their parental rights.

The assistant county attorney representing CPS refused to discuss the case with us.

These parents won’t know for at least a month if they are going to lose their little girl for good.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...#ixzz1MulZ1Bny

Old 05-22-2011, 11:06 AM
TwistedPrincess
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:583

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1008
Re: Cps Puts 3 Year Old on Psychotropic Drugs

i know several times i have read news accounts of child protection services that overlooked, failed to notice or didn't take serious black and blue marks on children, let it go that the child was withdrawn or fearful of people and often drastically underweight. but CPS did nothing supposedly stating that they thought the child was better off in its own home than in foster care. then the child at some point ends up dead, beaten or starved to death or a combination of both and then CPS says "oops!" yet a healthy happy well adjusted child is snatched away from the parents because OMG! the parents used drugs. don't matter if the child is doing just fine. why can't they get it straight? shouldn't be all that hard to remember or to figure out...

kid seems healthy, happy and smiles
time to move on to someone elses files
but...
hits and blows, black and blue?
don't leave him at home, take him with you!

cps seems to be a bit dyslexic, mixing things all up i'd say.

The Following User Says Thank You to TwistedPrincess For This Useful Post:
candymosh
Old 05-22-2011, 12:16 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

I agree. I would think that if the child was healthy on all accounts, maybe they should have the parents attend some sort of classes for drug use and have random weekly visits to insure that the child stays healthy and to check up on the parents progress in class.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:20 AM
talleys
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1283

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss288

If that doesn't piss you off then read this.

http://www.theledger.com/article/201...NEWS/102165072

Old 05-23-2011, 01:48 AM
sherrimccharles
Offline:
Poster Rank:600

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss948

Yeah, they took my first son for no reason. It just happens. It does. I worked really hard to get him back and I hadnt even done anything. The foster parents always fucked up. One time he had blood blisters all over his hands. And another time he had been bitten in the face by a dog. No one could do anything about it. Not even my lawyer. He just had to endure all that shit until I got him back. Man I worked hard.The foster parents were pretty sure that they were going to keep my son too. They would say things like that to me. They said he was perfect, everything they were looking for. Be careful who you talk to. Be careful who you let in your house. Be careful what you say period. Be careful where you live. Dont ask for help if possible. These people are not even government accountable.

The Following User Says Thank You to sherrimccharles For This Useful Post:
ladypilgrim
Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 AM
hambone
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1063

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss384

that infuriates me.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 PM
TwistedPrincess
Offline:
Poster Rank:583

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1008

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleys View Post
If that doesn't piss you off then read this.

http://www.theledger.com/article/201...NEWS/102165072
yep, that's exactly the kind of thing i am referring to. so here we have two different cases, one where CPS over reacts when no signs of abuse are present and one where CPS under reacts where signs of abuse are present.

exactly what is CPS trying to protect the child from? living a normal happy life? i'm sure that in many cases CPS is doing a fine job. but in some cases, common sense needs to kick in and some caseworkers need to be kicked out.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:21 PM
ladypilgrim
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1270
female

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss291

Here it's called DHR same problems diffrent name.They took my neices and nephews out of a good clean well run home(mother and father failed for cocaine) and put them in a foster home of horrors they were beaten, molested, and deprived of food.They now live with their grandmother who had to fight for three years to get them out of that foster home. The foster "parents" are now in jail,but the damage as been done.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:00 AM
sherrimccharles
Offline:
Poster Rank:600

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss948

OOOOoooooh, I just really hate those people. If your kids look in good condition and you happen to be poor, well then watch out. You might have the kind of child someone is looking for maybe for bad reasons. Maybe to beat them who knows. And if you dont have a good lawyer then they figure you will easily give up.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:56 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

UPDATE

Surprising Twist in CPS Case Involving Psychotropic Drugs

Updated: Wednesday, 08 Jun 2011, 9:37 PM CDT
Published : Wednesday, 08 Jun 2011, 9:37 PM CDT

RANDY WALLACE

RANDY WALLACE
Investigative Reporter

HOUSTON - For almost a year, Children's Protective Services was adamant about terminating David and Christina Harrison's parental rights. That state agency's one and only reason? Both parents tested positive for cocaine.

Why was the young couple using drugs?

"Just recreational use," Rachel's father David Harrison said. "Out with friends, holidays, an occasion never did it with Rachel around."

11 months ago CPS took custody of Rachel.

Her parents didn't see her for months.

When they finally did they said they couldn't believe what they were seeing.

Here's Rachel a week before CPS takes her away from her mom and dad.

This is what she looked like after 6 months in CPS care.

"She'd be drooling at the mouth her tongue would be hanging out she couldn't focus, it was terrible," Debbie Flores, Rachel's grandmother said. "I'd ask them is she on drugs and they said no."

In January CPS admitted in court that the then 3-year-old was put on a number of psychotropic drugs including Risperidone, a drug commonly used to treat Schizophrenia.

According to court transcripts and hearings we attended, CPS had no proof Rachel was mistreated or neglected by her parents in any way.

"On the contrary there was tremendous testimony on how this little girl acted out while in foster care," attorney Tom Sanders said.

In one court hearing Associate Judge Steven Newhouse pointed out quote, "There's no evidence the child had any behavioral issues before CPS came into her life, as soon as CPS takes her now she needs help."

For the last 11 months Rachel's parents and grandmother kept hearing the same thing from CPS.

"All along they said we would never get her back that we would never see her again," Flores said.

But on Tuesday the assistant county attorney representing CPS non-suited the case.

"They've dismissed their cause of action," Sanders said. "The case is over, the parents do not have to come to court any longer."

Just like that CPS does a complete about face.

The County Attorney's office tells us all the parties involved now believe it's in Rachel's best interest to be with her parents.

That decision was based on the parents doing all CPS had asked them to do and months of negative drug tests.

"I'm ecstatic," Rachel's father said. "I'm glad to get this case over and move on, knowing my little girl is going to be in my custody and my care is a big load off my shoulders right now."

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...#ixzz1Ona5hFsw