Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss425
Re: Court May Force Mentally Disabled Nevada Woman to Have Abortion

The key phrase is "best interests", the court will be looking at the range of the people involved and considering what is in everyone's best interests in the long run.

This is a weighing up of risks, not just to the pregnant woman, but her family, and the foetus...Not just right now, but in the years to come.

The nature of pregnancy means it is always a higher risk to continue the pregnancy than to terminate, for any woman.

A huge factor in this is her risky behaviour. The problem could very easily repeat itself. I agree that sterilisation is extreme, but sometimes its entirely appropriate on account of the person's lack of control, or current health conditions.
Whilst various contraceptives make be suitable, the side effects of them may be something which affects her already present symptoms. Millions of women cannot use anything other than condoms because they have reactions to hormones/or excessive bleeding and pain.
I doubt she would be able to take a pill without prompting, and may be very difficult to support when menstruating. Some mentally incapacitated women become violent around those times, or extremely emotional. Her parents will be elderly now, so this will also be a factor.
One must bear in mind that her reasoning abilities, and intellectual capacity makes her very vulnerable. Sounds like she's a 32 yr old woman, with the mental faculties of a 6 yr old, but totally driven by sporadic bursts of adult sexual desire which she cannot curb alone.

The rush of pregnancy hormones could also be problematic at present, some women have no problems at all when this occurs, but many suffer greatly in various ways, be it emotionally or the symptoms caused by the hormone surge.

Also, the recovery from a termination is probably going to be easier for her than the changes, and effects of pregnancy, and many hours of labour. Remember, she will not know the value of her current condition, and will have a poor concept of how her actions have caused the unwanted pregnancy, therefore, she is probably unable to appreciate the consequences of her actions, and so will not learn anything from it as most of us would.

For the court to already be tossing the sterilisation idea around, you can bet there are some very pressing factors in this case. Sterilisation is not taken lightly, everyone is aware that the autonomy of the person is being compromised, but the best interests of her and any potential offspring must be seriously considered, and action taken if necessary.

As for the abortion, I see this as a 6 yr old child. I wouldn't be happy if my 6 yr old was giving birth.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vera Wang For This Useful Post:
260RS
Old 11-07-2012, 02:12 PM
petedeamon
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:377
yes

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1919

The problems stemming from people that have serious mental issues having children have been a concern since socialization began. In past decades we immediately sterilized the child to insure that accidental conception wouldn't produce another burden on society's doorstep but the 60's brought another mindset into our already confused effort to attain utopia...let the challenged and the insane live as we do. Unfortunately the resources are not adequate to support this level of individualism and we have murders, unwanted children and abuse in record numbers. Granted we would still have problems but not in the outrageous percentages we now live with...wake up!

The Following User Says Thank You to petedeamon For This Useful Post:
260RS
Old 11-09-2012, 09:16 PM
nofuckinway
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:692
Female

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss765

this is so fucked up. its actually crazy that this is even being considered. they're pretty much giving her the same punishment that a rapist would go through and the poor thing didn't do anything. if anything, she is a victim of a terrible mother if she has FAS and is also possibly a rape victim. hasn't this poor girl suffered enough due to circumstances out of her control?!

Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

I can understand having her get her tubes tied. But if her parents are willing to help her through the pregnancy (and keep a better eye on her) and are already planning to have the baby put up for adoption, I don't see why the woman should be forced to have an abortion. I am pro-choice, so if that was her choice, then fine. But I don't think it should be forced on her.