Go Back  

Church Backs Smacking As Victorian Government Moves to Outlaw Corporal Punishment 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
Old 08-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730
Church Backs Smacking As Victorian Government Moves to Outlaw Corporal Punishment

With Victoria moving to ban smacking within the family home, the Presbyterian Church warns it could mean mums and dads may face court for disciplining their children.

Victoria is proposing a human rights charter that would see it join NSW in outlawing corporal punishment. In Queensland, parents are allowed to use "reasonable force" to discipline their children.

"Many Australian families use reasonable physical discipline from time to time," the church said in a submission to a Victorian parliamentary inquiry. "There is a significant body of research confirming its utility in raising children well."

Australian Childhood Foundation chief executive Dr Joe Tucci said it is never correct to smack children.

"If parents are really angry or frustrated at the time that they're doing it they could inadvertently hurt kids and that's our concern about it," he said.

"More and more parents are moving away from physical punishment because it's not effective."

Adolescent psychologist Dr Michael Carr-Gregg, however, doesn’t agree with legislating against smacking, despite not necessarily agreeing with it as a parenting tool. "I don't think we should be criminalising people who, when their children run across the road, they give them a tap on the bum," he said.

Carr-Greg also pointed out recent attempts to ban smacking had not worked.

Another study has pointed to the dearth of smacking in the home as a possible contributor to poor resilience in later life.

The Presbyterian Church, which has 600, 000 members nationwide, says a United Nations committee implementing the Convention on the Rights of the Child is placing pressure on Australia to outlaw corporal punishment.

What do you think? Do you smack your kids or do you think it should be against the law? How could this sort of legislation be policed?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:44 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730
Re: Church Backs Smacking As Victorian Government Moves to Outlaw Corporal Punishment

When i have kids i will discipline them the same way i was when i was a little shit. They swear? They will learn what soap tastes like. They don't do what they're told? The 3 count starts and ends with a beating by either wooden spoon, coat hanger, shoe, leather belt, just like i copped. Back talk and whining? Punished by loss of any and all privelages gained.
I have seen the 'naughty corner' on certain TV shows and i don't understand it. I would have laughed if i was told to stand in the corner for being naughty. Does anyone wonder why there are so many homosexuals in the world today? It's because male children are being treated like princesses and not having the shit belted out of them when they fuck up. Men need to be able to take a beating and then get back up, we learn this skill when we are children and carry it to our first bar room fight.
I remember the first time i was caned at school. The thought upset me but after taking 10 of his best i walked out of the room with a smile on my face. Was that the best he could do? Kids these days don't know what the cane is. They don't know what dicsipline is. They don't know what real punishment is about. Kids nowdays think that severe punishment is having their Xbox taken away for a night, is it any wonder why certain countries see the western cultures as weak.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blewvane For This Useful Post:
5umguy24, Sybil
The Following Users Disliked This Post By Blewvane:
Cancun78