Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392
A Chinese Farmer’s Epic Rickshaw Journey to the London Olympic Games

Quote:
Chen Guanming, a 57-year-old farmer from China, spent over two years travelling about 60,000 kilometers, through 16 countries, enduring floods, war zones and extreme temperatures, to reach London in time for the games and “spread Olympic spirit”.

The 2012 London Olympic Games may have ended, but remarkable stories related to the monumental event are still popping up. One such story is that of Chen Guanming, a simple farmer from a village in China’s Jiangsu province, who traveled all the way to London the only way he could afford to, by rickshaw. The daring traveler said he was inspired to go on this epic journey when he watched the English Prime-Minister accept the Olympic flag, in 2008, and the media invited those watching the live broadcast to the next edition of the games. Chen took that invitation quite seriously, and in 2009, he started putting all his papers in order and preparing for an unforgettable adventure. His long rickshaw ride began on May 23, 2010, in the village where he grows rice and other crops, and took him through 16 different countries, including Vietnam, Thailand, Pakistan or Italy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chen-Guanming1-550x309.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	386823

Chen’s three-wheeled rickshaw loaded with his possessions was his biggest support during the two-year journey. In the first countries he visited – Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam - the Chinese farmer encountered constant temperatures of around 38 degrees Celsius and had to wring his clothes seven or eight times a day. In Thailand, he was caught up in devastating floods, and in Turkey he faced low temperatures of -30 degrees Celsius and spent four days snowed in. But perhaps the biggest hurdle on his trip was being refused a visa in Burma. After cycling all this way only to be denied entry, most people would have just given up and went home, but the undeterred Chen Guanming pedaled back to Tibet where he took his gearless rickshaw up 7,000m high mountains and continued his journey. During his travels, the ambitious farmer relied on compensations for couriering things along and on people’s donations. He arrived in England on July 6, by ferry, from France, and in London on July 9.

Name:	Chen-Guanming2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	386824

His story sounds so incredible, few would be inclined to actually believe it, but although no one can confirm everything Chen said about his trip, the photos plastered on his rickshaw showing him in different places around the world, the visas on his passport, the press cuttings and the messages kept neatly in his book are certainly proof worth considering. John Beeston, an English broker who found him wondering aimlessly on the streets of London, certainly believes him and compares his feat to the legendary travels of Marco Polo. Asked by the BBC, what he thinks of London, the 57-year-old globetrotter said ”London is especially beautiful. People are very friendly. They always show warmth towards me. When I go back to China I want to tell them how civilized the English are.”

Name:	Chen-Guanming3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	386825

But even though he may be going back home to China, his world-travelling days are certainly not at an end. Chen Guanming said that he wanted to come to London because he “wanted the whole world to support the Olympics and be part of it,” and to make sure people get his message, he’s already decided to pedal his rickshaw all the way to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, for the 2016 Olympic Games.

Chen is not the first Chinese to pedal his way to China. Just last year, Zheng Sheng, a 23-year-old student, embarked on an epic bicycle journey from Shanghai to London. He traveled 14,000 kilometers in 136 days.
<****** width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rOQh65ysxOI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></******>

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
Arsedestroyer, kellyhound
Old 08-21-2012, 08:27 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
7/11 ssss61186
Re: A Chinese Farmer’s Epic Rickshaw Journey to the London Olympic Games

that shows determination

Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

2 fucking years!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM
DSizz
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:2898
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss81
Lol, he got here and saw it was boring and the weather was shitty. After two years I'd be fucking pissed!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3658

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSizz View Post
Lol, he got here and saw it was boring and the weather was shitty. After two years I'd be fucking pissed!
If you think the UKs weather is bad, go fuck off elsewhere and see what real bad weather is.

ANyway, this guy is fortunate no scallies or pikeys stole his bike. Knowing them it would be gone in 20 seconds.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
DSizz
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:2898
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
If you think the UKs weather is bad, go fuck off elsewhere and see what real bad weather is.

ANyway, this guy is fortunate no scallies or pikeys stole his bike. Knowing them it would be gone in 20 seconds.
I've lived in London all my life, i was fucking born here so I can comment on the climate. I'm used to the shitty weather, I don't want or need to fuck off anywhere else mate. Who the fuck rattled your cage?