Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss61174
Re: CDs Are Officially Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabenson View Post

Unsurprisingly, SideLine tried to reach EMI, Universal and Sony for comment, but all three labels declined to respond.
Quote:
The only CD-formats that will be left over will be the limited edition ones, which will of course not be available for every artist.

The distribution model for these remaining CD releases would be primarily Amazon which is already the biggest CD retailer worldwide anyhow.

3 weeks ago we heard it for the first time and since then we have tried getting some feedback from EMI, Universal and Sony. All declined to comment.

The news doesn't come as a surprise to those who have been working in the business.

In a piece that was published in a q&a with the Alfa Matrix people back in June 2011 in the 1st issue of "Matrix Revelations", our chief editor Bernard Van Isacker said the following when asked if a CD would still exist in 5 years: "Yes, but in a different format. Normal CDs will no longer be available because they don't offer enough value, limited editions on the other hand will remain available and in demand for quite a few more years.

I for one buy only limited editions because of the added value they offer: a nice design, extra bonus gadgets, etc.

The album as we know it now however will be dead within 5 years, if it isn't even sooner.

I predict that downloads will have replaced the CD album within the next 2 years.

I don't see that as something negative, it just has run its course, let's leave the space to limited editions (including vinyl runs for bigger acts) and downloads instead."

It's a move that makes completely sense. CD's cost money, even when they don't sell because there is stock storage to be paid; a label also pays money to distributors when CDs get returned to the labels when not sold and so on.

In short, abandoning the CD-format will make it possible to just focus on the release and the marketing of it and no longer focus on the distribution (since aggregators will do the work as far as dispatching the releases to services worldwide) and - expensive - stock maintenance.

In the long run it will most surely mean the end for many music shops worldwide that only stock and sell CD releases.

In the UK for instance HMV has problems paying the labels already and more will follow. It makes the distribution of CDs no longer worth it.

Also Amazon will benefit from this as it will surely become the one and only player when it comes to distribution of the remaining CD productions from labels.

Packaged next to regular album downloads via its own Amazon MP3 service it will offer a complimentary service.

Update: We were approached by several people working with major labels, who indeed re-confirm that plans do exist to give up the CD.

We keep on trying to get an official confirmation, but it seems that the matter is very controversial, especially after Side-Line brought out the story.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:24 PM
sassieroses
Offline:
Halo or Horns today?
Poster Rank:291
Ladybug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2800

Well, I hate to admit it, but it wouldn't surprise me. I mean, i am a voracious reader and I am moving to alot of ebooks now to save space. I have gotten rid of a TON of books in the past two years and I honestly do not buy as many CD's as I do download songs anymore.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:03 AM
Mr.Goodbar
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:472
**Corpsegrinding 4 profit**

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1355

It's not officially over if it can't be officially confirmed. DERP!

Quote:
SideLine tried to reach EMI, Universal and Sony for comment, but all three labels declined to respond.
^^^So if they won't respond or make an official comment how can it be 'official'?

Just Sideline.com trying to generate web traffic

derp derp derp

Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 PM
LadyPox
Offline:
Dothraki Chick
Poster Rank:203
** Colorado Girl **

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4407

Agree... the article is bunk.

Salladhor Saan - GAME OF THRONES

Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

<****** width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IBH4g_ua5es" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></******>

They can get rid of the CD's

Old 11-08-2011, 01:23 PM
nHalexHale
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1904
Male

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss161

thread fails

The Following User Says Thank You to nHalexHale For This Useful Post:
Mr.Goodbar
Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Mizz_Russia
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:886
Female

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss523

With all music being able to be downloaded off the net for free. I thought CD's would be long gone by now. New stuff comes out the old doesn't get used no more. Like Music records were pretty popular.. and then they made tapes.... records slowly died down... then cd's came... tapes died down.. All of them are still being used, but you won't be able to go to a ton of music stores and find records and tapes etc.. as the time goes on Cd's will be old school lol. I don't even listen to cd's in my cars everything is run by SD cards and Ipods. Better than CD's more space more music than you can put on a CD.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

Anyone with forethought is going to want a hard copy of media loaded on the HD. When i buy a cd it gets used once to copy it to my HD, then gets put away. The day when music download sites change their policies that stop ownership of music in favour of a timed subscription is comming. Musicians have already pointed out this new idea suits them better than selling their album outright.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Mr.Goodbar
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:472
**Corpsegrinding 4 profit**

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymosh2 View Post
<****** width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IBH4g_ua5es" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></******>

They can get rid of the CD's
What the hell is that clip. I'm too scared to click on a clip that is 10 hours long