Woman

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss23376
Re: Cats Killing Billions of Animals in the US

I keep my cat indoors as well; he was a killer, brought rabbits and big birds home daily. But then he got attacked by some other cat and got tore up and very sick, so now he stays in, I don't want him making any other cat sick. He will eventually die from what he has; there is no cure. It's just stupid and risky to let your pets roam.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azimuth For This Useful Post:
gatagato, K9Grip, kellyhound, Megamel29
Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
I keep my cat indoors as well; he was a killer, brought rabbits and big birds home daily. But then he got attacked by some other cat and got tore up and very sick, so now he stays in, I don't want him making any other cat sick. He will eventually die from what he has; there is no cure. It's just stupid and risky to let your pets roam.

Aw poor kitty. What does he have?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 AM
Azimuth
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:33
Woman

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss23376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
Aw poor kitty. What does he have?
Meg, he has FIV, Feline HIV. It's transmitted by deep bite wounds as the virus is carried in their blood and in their saliva. I know exactly when he was infected. He came home after being gone for a couple of days, which was understandable considering how injured he was. He had bites all over him, but the deepest were on one of his hind legs and his neck. (I really thought he had been attacked by a small dog or a big pissed off raccoon.) But he was also very very ill. So sick that I thought he would die. He was vomiting, had diarrhea, wouldn't eat or drink. Just slept, had runny eyes and all the symptoms of a bad cold. He was like that for four days. I forced him to drink water from a dropper, and gently washed out his wounds with anti-bacterial soap, then kept Neosporin with pain reliever on them (I called my usual vet for all my pets I've had-- for advice and to see if she had anything I should give him.) Oh, I also mushed up his food, to make it soft, warmed it up, and tried to forcibly feed him as much as I could; that didn't go over too well.hahaha. So, he hadn't been my cat before that, he was this dumb bitch's with whom I lived. After this he was mine. She didn't care for him, he had never been to the vet, she never cleaned his litter box; she let him out when I asked her to please leave him in, he's going to get hurt or run over and look what happened.

So I took him to the vet a few months later when I thought he was fine and all healed because I was getting the hell out of there (moving) and taking Peanut with me. She (the vet) noticed that Peanut's lymph nodes were swollen so she tested him for FIV and Feline Leukemia, another highly contagious and incurable disease. I've adopted two cats with FeLV (leukemia) and it is a heartbreaking thing to see them go through, and then ultimately you have to have them put down because of the unbearable suffering. :

So, we've tried a couple different antibiotics for the secondary infections now; he gets bronchitis occasionally. I don't know how long he will make it. He is only 4. 99.9% of the time you'd never know he was sick; but then there are those rare days when he sleeps all day and has a runny nose. . Lately he's been perfect. Here he's in one of the spare bedrooms.

Wow, I really didn't mean for this to be so long. But you know, I'm a typical parent, I like to talk and talk and talk about my kids.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Azimuth For This Useful Post:
gatagato, K9Grip, kellyhound, lkduke3, Megamel29
Old 01-30-2013, 05:47 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
Female

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Aw, that's sad. When I took my cat, New, in off the streets I took him to the vet and had him fixed and he got a rabies shot, distemper shot, and he was checked for feline aids and leukemia. Fortunately he has neither. When I was a kid, we had an orange long haired persian named Elsbeth who was allowed to come and go as she pleased. One time she came home missing an eye. She also didn't have her front claws, so getting into a fight with another animal really wasn't fair. Poor kitty.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, K9Grip
Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5491

My cat is indoor, but every now and then he manages to escape:
he's a very sweet and devoted cat, apparently he wouldn't hurt a fly...
BUT
he's actually a rapist, a gangrapist, a thief, a hunter a killer and god knows what else.
Is there anything wrong with him? NO, he just follows his survival instinct that he inherited at birth: that's all there's

to it.
Here are some of my cat's crimes:
Quote:
March 2011: Spirit (that's the name of my cat) breaks on an apartment of one of my neighbors (an ederly woman), eats about 125 gr. (0lb 4.4oz) of much expensive parmesan: the woman called me and told me: "your cat blah blah blah". When asked: "are ya sure it was my gato?" she said " I could recognize him damnd black&white ass between millions". I went to the
grocery, bought the parmesan and end of story. So, if you've ever wondered if cats eat cheese, the answer is YES, they do, and they are even choosy in choosing which cheese to eat.

August 2011: Spirit breaks on an apartment of another one of my neighbors, steals a small but expensive veal steak,
then flees the scene. The theft was technically perfect, but he was spotted on the roof by the owner of the steak while eating it:

when the man returned at home and found out that one steak was missing, obviously blamed my poor gato.
In that case, the victim refused any form of refund.

February 2012 (warning: gruesome details)
My gato breaks on an apartment, eats an undefined amount of fresh handmade pork sausages, BUT (here comes the unforeseen), a
bird shows up (maybe he asked for his ID, as it was a parrot), a fight ensued and Spirit (most likely) hit him with a blow with a paw. When he came back home i noticed the feathers attached to him, and (seriously) i called the owner of the parrot: according to him the parrot was
"ok, but looks to be shocked".

It was time to stop such an offensive conduct, police was involved and Spirit was arrested for burglary and possession of stolen property.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gato.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	425948
Now,
Who needs a research made by Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in order to learn that cats are natural born killers?
Even the smallest kitten will ambush you, and nobody teached him how to do it.
Robertson Davies, in "The Diary of Samuel Marchbanks" wrote: Perhaps God made cats so that man might have the pleasure of fondling the tiger...
He wasn't a rocket scientist, he wasn't even a vet: he was just a man who knew what cats really are.
Unlike these researchers.

Dr Marra said:
Quote:
"We hope that the large amount of wildlife mortality indicated by our research convinces some cat owners to keep their cats indoors and that it alerts policymakers, wildlife managers and scientists to the large magnitude of wildlife mortality caused by cat predation."

Then I can say I hope that the large amount of CRIMES will convince the governments to keep ALL their citizens in a cage, and i'd have many more points: cats use brute force only if they want to hunt, to eat, to fuck or to protect their territory,
humans kill for money, spite, jealousy, anger, fun, lust, AND sometimes they've killed just in order to share the video on some gore site.
Why Dr Marra didn't focus on shark finning, instead? Now THAT would have been interesting, since we're not talking about a bunch of birds being killed by their natural hunters, but about 26 to 73 million sharks that are harvested every year for their fins: not to mention the poor sharks that are catched, get their fin removed then dumped at sea, condemned to die of an extremely painful death. All this because some human like to eat their fins.
Or how about the more than 100 000 deaths per year of fish, turtles and other marine animals like dolphins, whales, seals because of plastic waste in the sea? HUMANS are doing this, not cats. Who is brutally beating to death 20,000 to 25,000 seals every year, who is killing 100,000 elephants per year for their ivory, who is doing THIS to the tigers for their skins, bones, teeth and claws,

the cats from my neighborhood, perhaps?
Squirrels can jump and climb, rats can hide, lizards can camouflage, birds have even been blessed with the ability to FLY.

They have been given by mother nature a chance to escape from evil cats, it's a fair fight, isn't it? Can you tell the same about the fight between humans and animals?
You see the speck in the cat’s eye, but fail to see the beam of wood in human's one. Humans are the only threat to this planet.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, K9Grip, kellyhound, Megamel29, winvens
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
Female

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Wow. How did your cat break in to your neighbors' apartments? Dastardly! New attacked me once but now I've learned not to try to touch him when he is squaring up against a stray.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM
mengala
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:381

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1898

Who cares, the cats are probably killing mostly dirty rodents.

The Following User Says Thank You to mengala For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 AM
johnleeknoefler
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:230
Male
Contributions: 26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866

Finally a cat article that makes sense. I like individual cats. I had four cats when I was a kid. I never realized the harm they could do. Stray cats are just horrid. Spay your cat. It would of been cool if I had a camera and photoed all the stray cats I have offed over the years.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:22 AM
fenek
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1231
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss308

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleeknoefler View Post
It would of been cool if I had a camera and photoed all the stray cats I have offed over the years.
Don't kill stray cats. How do you know the cat doesnt belong to someone?

The Following User Says Thank You to fenek For This Useful Post:
Megamel29
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 AM
Mr.Rigormortis
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:4564
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss38

Due to the nature of cats being very independent animals, I think it's fairly cruel to keep them locked up. If you're going to own a cat though you should at least make sure that it's neutered and has a bell on it's collar. My cat has been neutered and is fitted with a bell but she still brings in birds or mice now and then. I think reducing the impact is a fair point but there's no way you'll ever stop a cat killing entirely, short of keeping it locked up. It's nature, cat's kill and they always will, and people are always going to own cats. As for the pooping in other people's gardens and stuff, luckily my cat seems to only do it in holes she digs in our own garden, but I know most cats will just do it anywhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Rigormortis For This Useful Post:
gatagato