Go Back  

Canadians Move the Date of Their Election Debate So They Can Watch Hockey Instead 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
Old 04-13-2011, 01:42 AM
fredstones
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:894
Neutered

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss517
Canadians Move the Date of Their Election Debate So They Can Watch Hockey Instead

MontrealIt’s hard to think of anything as stereotypically Canadian as rescheduling an election debate because of a hockey game. But it really happened. The French-language debate was supposed to be held Thursday, the same day the Montreal Canadiens are scheduled to face the Boston Bruins in their first playoff game. But on Sunday, Bloc Québécois leader Gilles Duceppe suggested a change of date… “I think you’d be hard pressed to find someone who wants the debate to be held on a night when many francophones are otherwise engaged,” he said. Not everyone agrees. Musician and author Dave Bidini, who writes regularly about hockey, decried the move. “I love hockey and I love playoff hockey, but it’s not cute nor typically northern nor uber-hoser when the national game supplants far more important and pressing concerns, like in whom we will place the trust of governing our country,” he said. “Hockey defines our character, good and bad. In this instance, it defines a people whose priorities and interests are completely out of whack.”

Hey Habs... Go B's!!

Old 04-13-2011, 02:04 AM
mwt77932
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:532
Male

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1145
Re: Canadians Move the Date of Their Election Debate So They Can Watch Hockey Instead

As crazy as this sounds, I can understand why they did it. I think they realized that if they held the debate at it's previously scheduled time no one would be watching so it would have been pointless. If Obama gave a speech during the Superbowl, would anyone be watching?

Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Kyle416
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1394
Male

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss258
Re: Canadians Move the Date of Their Election Debate So They Can Watch Hockey Instead

I really love my country!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 PM
rabenson
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:650
Male
Contributions: 6

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss853

Being a hockey fan myself I love this. I would rather watch hockey than vote.