Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866
Re: Calling Mom As Eaten by Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughterothenight View Post
yada yada yada. . . do you hike, camp, backpack, fish, or hunt? do you even target shoot? have any idea how difficult it is to shoot a charging animal? your best bet is to not carry bait, to be very aware of your surroundings, and get out of the area when you recognize they are around.

these men chose to hunt late in the evening, and go back for their meat at dark. in bear country. they made choices that brought a predator directly to them.

when i hike, backpack, camp or fish, i minimize the risk for encounters. i know how to behave outdoors, how to pack my food and clean up, and not to scent myself. and when i have had encounters i knew how to back out without antagonizing the animal or looking like prey. i'm 51 and i haven't been eaten yet.

it's not that i am against being armed, i wouldn't mind having a gun, i love shooting. i use to be very good at it. as a PTSD Vet, i'm not allowed to purchase or own. the biggest reason though, is that i just recognize their limitations, and i feel an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
"yada yada yada. . . do you hike, camp, backpack, fish, or hunt?"
I've done all these things.

"do you even target shoot?"
Up to .44 pistol. And 12 ga. Mossberg practicing with all loads.

"have any idea how difficult it is to shoot a charging animal?"
I've never had a bear charging me if that's what you mean by your question. But practicing is all about getting prepared for trouble. The last time I went back packing the others laughed a bit at my .44 in my holster since it was a fishing trip. We never needed it but I had a great time with some target rounds I brought. Saving my better ammo for trouble. And yes, I do know that in the heat of the moment panic can get you killed. One night I had a bear stalking the camp. When I was sure what it was I fired a shot toward the animal. It left. And I have had to use a firearm under other stressful situations such as a breakin through my front apartment door. I didn't shoot the guy because he left when he realized I was about to fire a 12 gauge into him. You think I don't know what it's like to have to use a fire arm while under stress? And please save your vet stories for your psychologist. He cares.

"your best bet is to not carry bait"

We were fishing. You don't think drying fish would attract bears? That's why we fire off rounds and make plenty of noise. Let them know it's our turf. That way at least those bears wanting to avoid trouble will indeed have a chance to go the other way. They can hear a human long before a human hears them.

" to be very aware of your surroundings"
I'm always aware of my surrroundings. That's the whole point of camping and back packing.

" and get out of the area when you recognize they are around. "

They are ALWAYS around. You can see the massive footprints. That's like a CLUE!. And the fresh piles of bear shit is also a clue. Rarely have I been out hiking and not seen these things. I have even found fresh bear poop in our fenced in garden. Unfortunately the bear was not impressed with the fence and had a great time gobbling up fallen apples and stripping the grape vines.

"these men chose to hunt late in the evening"

PTSD messed up your geography and physics? ALASKA? Did you not see that? And from the photo is about MIDSUMMER?. Late evening is daylight. They cleaned the moose out and then dropped off the equipment to return to the moose. It's how it's done. You don't get a moose on some tidy schedule. You just get it when you can and deal with it. The fact is they WON! Also a fact that hunting moose and gutting it is some very good lure for a grizzly. It would even draw a black bear but it's unlikely a black bear would be so bold.

" and go back for their meat at dark"
Once again you are ignorant. Blindingly ignorant. It was NOT dark!. Can you even look at the photo? They wanted to get it done before dark. Not saying they couldn't of takent the photo the next day. In fact they may have. But the fact is that they were trying to get what they wanted packed out before dark. I doubt they even would be able to make use of the entire carcass. And furthermore it's illegal to waste a carcass. You can lose your hunting license and pay a fine for wanton waste. Just taking the horns is not enough. That would surely get you fined. I don't know Alaska laws but certainly in Oregon it will get you a fine.

" in bear country."
Checked a map recently? "Bear country" is very large.

"they made choices that brought a predator directly to them."

Did you get a good look at that grizzly? I'm not sure what I am seeing but his face looks a bit odd. Perhaps he was sick and waiting for hunters to bring down a moose. Also some hunters are unable to carry out the complete carcass so bears are learning to track the moose hunters and other large game hunters.

It wasn't the time of day or any fault with their behavior. Although I haven't had the funds to hunt more than deer the principles are much the same. You must wait for your prey. And simply hunting can bring other predators. Check all the game hunting stories. This is a common problem. Or do I need to go look this stuff up and post a thread about hunters being hunted.

Your persistence in posting self righteous arrogant bullshit about what a perfect hunter, camper, backpacker and fisher you are is just that, Bullshit. The real point is that having a fire arm is the best last resort solution you can have. Bears don't always need to be "baited". Some people have been stalked for nothing that they did. If you were a hungry animal would you go for a soaped up perfumed person in the middle of a large group of tourists ? And yet this has happened. True you are right, that we do need to be aware but being prepared is just as important if not more. No matter how aware you are and what precautions you have taken you have only minimized as far as possible the chance of an attack.

I have never been attacked but then we were armed and noisy when in a group for fishing. Unfortunately hunters tend to be more quiet and even silent. And I know I was when hunting.

"when i hike, backpack, camp or fish, i minimize the risk for encounters."
Yes you are the perfect one. Some of us not so perfect ones carry guns to make up for not being so perfect like you.
" i know how to behave outdoors,"
I guess that means no ballet?
Or rude jokes?

"how to pack my food"

Oh wow, then the bear can't smell you since we all know they have poor smellers right?

"and clean up, and not to scent myself."

Oh ya, No wonder they can't smell you. You have been smart enough "not to scent myself". Oh wow. You are a genius . Does this mean you don't piss on yourself? Wow! A totally scentless person. Amazing. If you really believe you can go back packing, camping and fishing and leave no scent or sign that a bear can pick up then you must also believe in aliens.

"and when i have had encounters i knew how to back out without antagonizing the animal or looking like prey."
None of these bears were antagonized. They were grizzlies. Just being there in the first case was enough to cause an attack and the mother and her cubs were hungry. They didn't flee. They stayed for dinner. And there was no food on the people since they went back for a fishing rod. The mistake was not taking a firearm. In the second case the moose most likely did draw the grizzly. That's what they do. They will often come to a kill if they are hungry. And they usually are, especially if they have had a bad season.

"i'm 51 and i haven't been eaten yet"
Woop tee doo! Guess what, I'm 51 and I haven't been eaten either. In spite of being smelly, cooking fish on an open campfire, frying meat, and hanging my food in a tree and there were bears in the neighborhood. I also fire off rounds and practice my trumpet. They must really hate that.

"it's not that i am against being armed, i wouldn't mind having a gun, i love shooting. i use to be very good at it. as a PTSD Vet, i'm not allowed to purchase or own."

Sucks to be you.

"the biggest reason though, is that i just recognize their limitations"

It's called a backup pistol for a reason.

" and i feel an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

You are confusing precaution with prevention. Practicing good camping techniques and bathing is a precaution. Prevention is a pistol. It prevents you from getting mauled.
The cure is years of surgery and being in a hospital. Or just a coffin.

Too bad being a vet didn't help you to learn English or give you some perspective. Also you could learn to not make assumptions about people.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnleeknoefler For This Useful Post:
Wench
Old 09-17-2011, 10:37 PM
nerd
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:957

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss461

How the fuck do you make 3 phone calls while being mauled and eaten by a bear? ... .......

The Following User Says Thank You to nerd For This Useful Post:
johnleeknoefler
Old 09-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Azimuth
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:33
Woman

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss23376

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
How the fuck do you make 3 phone calls while being mauled and eaten by a bear? ... .......
speed-dial?

johnleeknoefler
Old 09-18-2011, 01:41 AM
johnleeknoefler
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:229
Male
Contributions: 26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
I wondered about that too but then let it go because obviously she did make the calls. Imagine what she could of done with a real Bear Killer? BTW the caps are intentional because here it is:

Look back at my previous posts and see who thinks that you don't really need a pistol to go camping. "Oh you can't fire it when a bear is charging... " Maybe so and maybe not. But I sure like the idea of trying. A cell phone did this chick fuckall good. "Oh Mom it hurts so bad when he is eating me!". Fuck that. How bout the hunters going home with a fucking bear strapped to the hood? And no cell phone ? I love wild animals too. I just don't love them enough to let them eat my legs off while I call home to Mamma and give her a minute by minute account. Like I already made clear... fuck that.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:47 AM
johnleeknoefler
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:229
Male
Contributions: 26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866

While I am good and pissed off at the lunacy of taking a cell phone camping and fishing and not even thinking of having a pistol here is another one that might help.
This one's a bit long for personal defense but if I had it I sure would be happy to use it.

This poor bloke survived because he had a pistol. Does he look sorry to be alive after killing a bear? Naw. Not even a little bit.

Quote:
Jerry Ruth of Clark, Wyo., uses hand gestures last month to describe how a grizzly bear attacked him near his home after he surprised the bear and her three cubs. Ruth, a retired police officer, grabbed a pistol he was carrying, fired three shots and killed the bear.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Marak123
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:12393

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Ohh poor bear =(

Old 10-05-2011, 03:33 AM
SuceMaTub
Offline:
It's in the detail
Poster Rank:286
Male

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2874

The Care Bears made everybody forget. Y'all don't sleep on this.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM
nastyg
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2203
male

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss128

I wanna hear the calls

Old 10-06-2011, 03:41 AM
Human52093
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:651
Male

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss852

Terrible
I think it would have been best not to call her mother, she'll remember that phone call for the rest of her life!

Old 10-07-2011, 08:55 AM
ernyzaz
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:1026

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss407

now thats is most horific thing i ever readed guys wtf!