Contributions: 14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss504
Building Implosion On Cal State Campus Doubles As Earthquake Experiment

I was able to be there last Saturday August 17th and captured the event in HD video, the real action starts at 0:40 on clip. Here are the facts:

California State University, East Bay has been preparing for the implosion of Warren Hall on Saturday, Aug. 17 in the city of Hayward.

There are 1,100 detonation charges placed on the Warren Hall building — which is 463 pounds of explosive material. Officials explained that the decision to implode the building was due to safety of the workers, the public and of course the university. The implosion of the building allows crews to control the dust and keep it to a minimum.
“You have the same quantity of dust, but that dust is limited to a few minutes on a given day, with a known time, with proper planning so that same quantity of dust can be dealt with effectively,” says Mark Loizeaux, president of Controlled Demolition, Inc.

After the implosion, crews will be recycling the debris— made up of steel and concrete — and using some of the concrete for the foundation of the new administration building on the other side of CSUEB’S campus.

A Hayward landmark built in 1973,
The boxy 13 story building was built roughly 2,000 feet from the Hayward fault, and officials recently deemed it seismically unsafe. Scientists turned its destruction into a valuable tool in their ongoing efforts to understand the earthquakes that have shaped California.
The Hayward fault, which runs through several East Bay cities and under the football stadium at the University of California, Berkeley, is the most likely of the handful of Bay Area fault lines to move.

Geologists from U.S. Geological Survey were also busy Thursday putting seismometers around Warren Hall. There are a total of 600 seismometers being placed in a two-mile radius around the building, with help from many citizen-scientist hosts and volunteers.

The implosion is expected to create s signal similar to a 2.0 magnitude earthquake. With the help of the seismometers, scientists will be able to measure how seismic energy travels through the geologic layers of the East Bay. Scientists can then determine which areas may shake more than other areas.
The USGS estimates there is a 63 percent chance of a major earthquake in the Bay Area within the next three decades.

Something went wrong, try refreshing the page...

Picture and Video Clip Stats.
File Type: mp4 Implosion%20of%20Warren%20Hall%20at%20Cal%20State%20East%20Bay%20in%20Hayward%2C%20CA%20August%2.mp4(6.66 MB, 53 views)
kellyhound
Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Maggots & Mayhem
Offline:
My Rank: Matches my Stank
Poster Rank:908
male
Contributions: 14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20