Poster Rank:124

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123
Brooklyn Mother Sues for Breastfeeding Mix Up

A distraught Brooklyn woman says hospital workers accidentally switched her daughter with another baby just after birth -- and the other mom wound up breast-feeding her child.

Devastated mom Lynda Williams, 33, who said she never smokes or drinks alcohol and wouldn't even sip soda while pregnant, sued Long Island College Hospital after the 2008 incident, demanding to know if the other woman who breast-fed her daughter was healthy.

"I asked, 'Did she smoke during pregnancy? Did she drink? Does she have any disease? Can I meet her?' " Williams told The Post yesterday.
CHANGE-UP: Lynda Williams, at home yesterday, says she was traumatized when nurses switched baby Jalyn (now 3) with another newborn in 2008.
Chad Rachman
CHANGE-UP: Lynda Williams, at home yesterday, says she was traumatized when nurses switched baby Jalyn (now 3) with another newborn in 2008.

But Williams said hospital staffers refused to divulge anything about the other woman because of privacy laws, and the courts have since sided with LICH, noting the child, now 3, is healthy, so it's a nonissue.

"I was very upset, [saying,] 'You guys gave my baby away, and how can you now tell me you're going to protect her privacy?' " Williams fumed. "I still do not know to this day who this woman was."

Williams said her nightmare began as she was napping in LICH's maternity ward in May 2008 and a nurse brought a bassinet with a baby into her room.

The mom said she stayed asleep -- not handling the infant, whom she believed to be her newborn daughter, Jayln -- for a couple of hours. But when she woke up to go to the bathroom, she realized something was amiss.

Williams said she saw nurses suddenly scurrying to switch the child in the bassinet next to her bed with another baby from a different room. The nurses then pretended nothing happened.

"I said, 'What's going on?' and [one nurse's] words were, 'I will be right back with this baby,' " said Williams, a native of Trinidad.

"She lied to me, and said they had to take the baby to get tested for diabetes," the mom said. "A little while later, [the nurse] came back, she looked at my [hospital I.D.] tag, and she looked at the one on the baby and said, 'OK.' "

Williams said she learned what happened only after her pediatrician overheard the two nurses gossiping about the horrifying mix-up.

Williams sued the hospital in Brooklyn Supreme Court in 2008, claiming "extreme emotional pain, suffering and anxiety."

Not only did she fear that little Jayln may have been injured during the mammary mix-up, said her lawyer, Lisa Pashkoff -- but she was left wondering whether she even got the right child.

Williams told The Post that she doesn't want to do a DNA test on Jayln now because she loves her.

But, "I spent many sleepless nights. I have cried because I am not 100 percent sure she's mine," Williams said. "She doesn't look anything like me."

A Supreme Court justice had ruled that Williams' suit could proceed, but the hospital appealed, and the appellate panel this week sided with LICH, saying parents can't recover damages for mental distress for an alleged injury to someone other than themselves, in this case, the child.

Williams vowed to bring the case to the Court of Appeals, the state's highest court.

An LICH rep said the hospital "was very pleased the Appellate Division unanimously ruled in our favor and dismissed the action against us."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...#ixzz1KqABmYUm

How is she not sure she got the right child? Didn't she take a good look at her daughter right after she had her?

The Following User Says Thank You to candymosh For This Useful Post:
Sharon
Old 04-28-2011, 05:55 PM
mrh2008
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:528
male

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1158
Re: Brooklyn Mother Sues for Breastfeeding Mix Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymosh2 View Post
How is she not sure she got the right child? Didn't she take a good look at her daughter right after she had her?
All babies look Chinese when they're popped out.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:57 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

I took a good long look at all 3 of mine though. They aren't that hard to tell apart when they are your own.

They do all look Chinese though.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Australia Mate!
Poster Rank:238
I have a map of Tasmania

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3686

Yeah I think you do know or not if its your own child. I think she is being a wee bit dramatic though. I would think that the only cause for alarm would be if the other woman in question has AIDS which I think can be transmitted through breast milk (please correct me if I am wrong). And ruling out any other diseases that can be transferred through breast milk then no harm has been done to the baby, after all they used to in the old days have 'wet nurses' who used to breast feed for woman who couldn't or wouldn't. I believe in some areas there is also 'breast-milk banks'. I am very pro-breastfeeding and at least the bub was off to a good start, it doesn't matter if it was from a strange boob....

Old 05-02-2011, 08:52 AM
candymosh
Offline:

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

Very much dramatic......she won't ever find out if that lady had any communicable diseases though. Hippa won't allow it.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Black Knight
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:211
Male

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4193

Save the drama for Obama's Mama. She is being a drama queen. Cripes, half our parents smoked, drank, took Tylenol and what not when pregnant and my generation turned out just fine.

She probably has as much toxins in her body from breathing the air.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:01 PM
candymosh
Offline:

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

Old 05-05-2011, 07:11 AM
sassieroses
Offline:
Halo or Horns today?
Poster Rank:291
Ladybug

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2800

She is probably overreacting a bit but in her defense I can totally see her point in being upset.

Before I had my daughter I took all the classes, read as many books as I could get my hands on, etc. Armed with a wealth of knowledge I can say that if my child had been nursed by another woman, I would have been royally pissed.

There are several issues that can be passed to an infant through breast milk. The obvious being any drugs the other mother had to take and not necessarily illegal ones.

Then there are medical issues such as AIDS as mentioned by Butterfly above.

Now, let me point out something on a personal level. A mother's body makes antibodies and serums in her breastmilk that is specifically engineered for HER child. Our bodies know if our child is ill or needs certains antibodies and such over another. So what is to say there couldn't have been an issue with the other mother's child that could have made her baby ill?

And after we have our babies our bodies makes the colostrom that they need in order to be healthy and we pass on our immunities in these early days before our regular breast milk comes in. Again, our bodies have engineered this for OUR babies.

So, even though she is overreacting a bit, I can totally see her point with wanting to know the health and background of this other mother. I would think the hospital would have granted her that much.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 PM
candymosh
Offline:

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

The hospital can not because it would be opening up records on another patient. They safe guard patient privacy with a vengence.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
sassieroses
Offline:
Halo or Horns today?
Poster Rank:291
Ladybug

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2800

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymosh2 View Post
The hospital can not because it would be opening up records on another patient. They safe guard patient privacy with a vengence.
Oh I understand that, what I'm saying is it wouldn't have cost the hospital a thing to ease her mind by at least going to the other mom and arranging a meeting or getting permission to tell her, Hey this other lady is healthy, you have nothing to worry about.

If I had been the mother that mistakenly breast fed the baby, I would have totally done all I could to ease the other mom's mind. I feel that unless there is something to hide there are several avenues that could have been taken to avoid so much panic on the part of this lady.

The Following User Says Thank You to sassieroses For This Useful Post:
candymosh