Go Back  

British Defence Secretary Urges MP's to Allow Bombing IS. 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 07-08-2015, 02:43 AM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567
Re: British Defence Secretary Urges MP's to Allow Bombing IS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
The most recent occupation of Iraq was nothing. That occupation was about winning the hearts and minds. It was about appeasing the insane notion that we can put a missile through a small window and only kill intended targets.

When Allied troops occupied a city from the nazis, they could level a entire block if they were shot at. The rules of engagement are far different now, that's why we bogged down in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq.
The insane notion was that if you removed Saddam, the people of Iraq would embrace democracy.

What you're looking at right now is the precise reason that the first Bush didn't take out Saddam.

Everything that they outlined at that time for NOT taking him out has happened, or is currently happening.

You can't push democracy on people that don't understand it, don't care about it and will vote along religious and tribal lines anyway.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:34 AM
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
Given that Blackwater was given immunity from any kind of prosecution its little wonder really.
Very true. They don't usually have access to the kind of firepower and support that soldiers do, though, so I can understand the reasoning behind it. Can't really hate on mercs that are just capitalizing on an arrangement that the U.S. really shouldn't have entered into in the first place. All the "ideals" of war that we like to highlight in support of the troops is kind of undermined when war starts getting privatized. Perfect example: companies like Blackwater also advise abandoning other operators in ambushes if necessary. They want their human assets to maintain their numbers as much as they can.

I wonder if TheVrist met any contractors while he was working over there.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:48 AM
TheVrist
Offline:
😉
Poster Rank:88
dude
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mike View Post
Very true. They don't usually have access to the kind of firepower and support that soldiers do, though, so I can understand the reasoning behind it. Can't really hate on mercs that are just capitalizing on an arrangement that the U.S. really shouldn't have entered into in the first place. All the "ideals" of war that we like to highlight in support of the troops is kind of undermined when war starts getting privatized. Perfect example: companies like Blackwater also advise abandoning other operators in ambushes if necessary. They want their human assets to maintain their numbers as much as they can.

Yeah, they had no shortage of them around.

Their hiring methods were quite comical.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:25 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mike View Post

I read a book about blackwater and one of its founders, Eric Prince. There was a lot of stuff going on in the background, the prince family has political power and old money going back decades.

It's a really interesting story

Old 07-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Zambini
Offline:
Instigator Extraordinaire
Poster Rank:53
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 8124 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss17005

You wouldn't be surprised then at the number of security type private companies around the ft Bragg area

rob666
Old 07-08-2015, 10:31 PM
niknik
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:68
Conservative OG

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 6771 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13675

Quote:
The insane notion was that if you removed Saddam, the people of Iraq would embrace democracy.

What you're looking at right now is the precise reason that the first Bush didn't take out Saddam.

Everything that they outlined at that time for NOT taking him out has happened, or is currently happening.

You can't push democracy on people that don't understand it, don't care about it and will vote along religious and tribal lines anyway.
The reason it didn't work was because of one main reason. Saddams entire leadership and military were relieved of their jobs.
Although that sounded like a good idea, to remove the people in charge, and replace them. It left nobody who knows anything about running a country, city, military, or government. And it left thousands of former guardsmen out of a job, out of money, and pissed off. Not too mention, armed and trained in insurgency.

If that one thing was changed, I'm pretty sure things would have turned out different.

It wasn't that they didn't want to have elections. It wasn't they wanted a dictatorship. They did. The only people who wanted Saddam was the people who benefited under him. And those were very few.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:46 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
The reason it didn't work was because of one main reason. Saddams entire leadership and military were relieved of their jobs.
Although that sounded like a good idea, to remove the people in charge, and replace them. It left nobody who knows anything about running a country, city, military, or government. And it left thousands of former guardsmen out of a job, out of money, and pissed off. Not too mention, armed and trained in insurgency.

If that one thing was changed, I'm pretty sure things would have turned out different.

It wasn't that they didn't want to have elections. It wasn't they wanted a dictatorship. They did. The only people who wanted Saddam was the people who benefited under him. And those were very few.
They had elections, and instead of voting for people that had the best interest of Iraq they voted in leaders based on religious views.

Just like in Egypt, that got rid of a dictator and immediately voted in the Muslim brotherhood.

All of the Sunni Muslims liked Saddam, he was their man. Saddam was ousted, the Shia took power, had their retribution, and now ISIS ( which are Sunni ) are fighting back.

You are a complete idiot if you can't see that this is just the continuation of a war between Muslim sects that goes back a thousand years.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:24 AM
blaze915
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:578
ALPHA MALE

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1044

Good post

Old 07-10-2015, 03:14 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze915 View Post
Good post
Spam much?

Old 07-10-2015, 03:19 PM
blaze915
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:578
ALPHA MALE

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1044

Quote:
Spam much?
Is that a challenge?? I dnt see you posting anything but comments..

The Following User Says Thank You to blaze915 For This Useful Post:
rob666