Go Back  

Boy Survives 'Most Venomous Snake' Bite 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Faline's Avatar
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Join Date: Jun 2009
Contributions: 226
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93400
Boy Survives 'Most Venomous Snake' Bite

An Australian teenager had a lucky escape after being bitten by the world's most venomous snake.

Name:  snake.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  26.9 KB

The 17-year-old walked into a hospital in the small town of Kurri Kurri, north of Sydney, on Wednesday afternoon with a bite to his left hand.

According to reports, his friend was carrying a plastic tub containing the snake responsible, which was later identified as the toxic inland taipan.

Also known as the fierce snake due to the strength of its venom - one drop of which is enough to kill 100 adult men - the inland taipan typically lives in central Australia's arid deserts and is not normally seen on the coast.

Detectives are investigating how he came into contact with the desert reptile amid speculation it could have been an illegal pet.

"The youth ... is reported to be in a stable condition," police said in a statement.

"Police are now attempting to establish how the youth came to be bitten, and hope to speak to the young man once he is considered well enough."

According to doctors, the boy's rapid treatment with anti-venom had been crucial to his survival, as inland taipan venom can kill someone in as little as 45 minutes.

"We had antivenom in stock, we keep what's called polyvalent antivenom and that covers all of our snakes," said toxicologist Geoff Isbister, who is treating the teen at the Mater hospital in the city of Newcastle.

"We had access to it immediately, and he was treated very early."

The snake's poison is neurotoxic and can cause gradual paralysis and compromise breathing if not treated.

Myotoxins in the bite also dissolve muscle and other tissues, meaning the wound site can cause significant kidney damage.

Inland taipans can grow up to 2.5m (8ft) in length and have 12mm fangs.

Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, Dynamo47, kellyhound
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Dynamo47's Avatar
Poster Rank:376
Join Date: Jan 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1905
Re: Boy Survives 'Most Venomous Snake' Bite

That's really cool. I am familiar with the snake but only from reading about them and he truly is lucky.

Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:34 PM
ices's Avatar
Poster Rank:238
Join Date: Mar 2010
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3620
Re: Boy Survives 'Most Venomous Snake' Bite

Didn't steve Irwin get licked on the face by one of these?

Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:30 PM
kellyhound's Avatar
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Join Date: Oct 2006
Contributions: 398
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 20/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss60907
Re: Boy Survives 'Most Venomous Snake' Bite

lucky dude. kurri kurri will never be the same again.

Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Brometheus's Avatar
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:285
Join Date: Feb 2011
Contributions: 18
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865
Re: Boy Survives 'Most Venomous Snake' Bite

Not sure if Paramedic taught me about this snake.. but Im sure Big Boss has eaten one while on his Virtuous Mission.

Reply With Quote

Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2010 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO