Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
5/11 sssss5492
Belize | 2,300-year-old Mayan Pyramid Destroyed to Turn It Into Rock for Roads

I can't believe it

Ancient Maya Pyramid Destroyed in Belize
Quote:
Despite its small size, the Caribbean country of Belize is known for a few outstanding characteristics: a spectacular barrier reef, a teeming rain forest, and extensive Maya ruins.

It now has one fewer of those ruins.

A construction company in Belize has been scooping stone out of the major pyramid at the site of Nohmul (meaning Big Mound), one of only 15 ancient Maya sites important enough to be noted on the National Geographic World Atlas.

The National Institute of Culture and History of Belize had earlier noted that "the site continues to be destroyed by road construction crews who bulldoze the mounds for gravel."

But now it appears that nearly the entire main pyramid, once standing over 60 feet tall, has been destroyed by road building crews, said John Morris, associate director of research at Belize's Institute of Archaeology. The institute is a department of the Belize Ministry of Tourism and Culture.

Authorities discovered the destruction late last week.

All of Belize's ancient Maya sites are protected by law. The Institute of Archaeology plans to investigate the destruction and take those responsible to court, Morris said.

"This Maya site is well known to the local community, who have worked on various projects at the site," he said. "The Institute of Archaeology is going to use this opportunity to really embark on a national awareness campaign for the preservation and protection of the country."

Though the site of Nohmul had not yet been developed for tourism, it had been excavated off and on since the early 1900s after first being recorded as a site in 1897.

Nohmul, in Belize's northern tip, experienced two major periods of monumental building, the first dating to 300 B.C. or even earlier.

The site lies on private land, and there has been a lot of other activity in the area, including the burning of cane fields, which could be why the backhoes weren't detected sooner.
Belize deputy PM calls for prosecutions in pyramid destruction
Quote:
(CNN) -- The deputy prime minister of Belize is calling for full prosecution of those responsible for destroying a 2,300-year-old Mayan pyramid to turn it into rock for roads.

"All those found responsible for the destruction of this site should be persecuted to the full extent of the law," read a statement from the office of Gaspar Vega, who is also the representative for the Orange Walk area in northern Belize where the Noh Mul pyramid was destroyed last week.

Only a small chunk of the pyramid, which stood about 65 feet tall and was the center of a settlement of about 40,000 people in 250 B.C., remains after backhoes and bulldozers began removing the limestone slabs with which it was built last week. The pyramid stood on private land.

The limestone is favored for building roads in the area, and the local chapter of the Belize Tourism Industry Association alleged in a statement that local government officials have been complicit in the destruction of ancient sites like Noh Mul.

"Noh Mul had been one of the ancient monuments with the greatest tourism development potential in northern Belize," the association said. "Unfortunately, such progress has been severely hampered due to the ignorance and greed of certain individuals."

"More sites have been destroyed in Orange Walk by the Ministry of Works and others for road fill material than in any other part of the country," the association said it was told by an unnamed senior government official.

In his statement, Vega denied any involvement.

"Minister Vega also emphatically repudiates the allegation and or perception that he was involved in any way with the destruction of the Noh Mul," the statement read.

In a separate statement, Belize's Ministry of Tourism & Culture said it had commissioned a full investigation of the Noh Mul destruction, calling it "callous, ignorant and unforgivable."

"Cultural landmarks such as Noh Mul are sacred artifacts of Belizean history and should be protected at all costs. This expressed disdain for our laws and policies is incomprehensible," the ministry statement said.

Archeologists had similar words for what happened to the pyramid.

"This is one of the worst that I have seen in my entire 25 years of archaeology in Belize," John Morris, an archaeologist with the country's Institute of Archaeology, told local channel 7NewsBelize. "We can't salvage what has happened out here -- it is an incredible display of ignorance."

The institute's director, Jaime Awe, called the destruction "one of the worse set of blows I have felt philosophically and professionally."

Archaeologists said they would ask police to take action against both the landowner and contractor, according to local media reports.

"It is against the law; it is against the nature act to willfully destroy an ancient monument," Awe told News5 in Belize. "Any willful destruction of an ancient site or monument has penalties of 10 years' imprisonment or $10,000 for this kind of destruction."
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ul-world-road/
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/15/wo...yed/index.html
http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.ph...5471&frmsrch=1
http://edition.channel5belize.com/archives/85391

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
pyramid-bulldozed-in-belize_67463_600x450.jpg  

130514115710-noh-mul-horizontal-gallery.jpg  

130514141119-noh-mul-04-horizontal-gallery.jpg  

130514141125-noh-mul-05-horizontal-gallery.jpg  

130514141139-noh-mul-07-horizontal-gallery.jpg  

130514141139-noh-mul-08-horizontal-gallery.jpg  

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, Darkest Angel, EPIC_FAIL, Faline, icheerthebull, Iliketurtles, invertigo, Kanda444, kellyhound, Pyramid_Head, Xfactor
Old 05-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Darkest Angel
Offline:
Born in the USA
Poster Rank:74
100% female
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12899
Re: Belize | 2,300-year-old Mayan Pyramid Destroyed to Turn It Into Rock for Roads

Unbelievable ignorance!! Only a $10,000 fine vs imprisonment.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Darkest Angel For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, Faline, gatagato, icheerthebull
Old 05-17-2013, 02:02 AM
Arkoquisa
Offline:
King of East Texas
Poster Rank:273
XY
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3065
Re: Belize | 2,300-year-old Mayan Pyramid Destroyed to Turn It Into Rock for Roads

As a historian, especially one who has studied this area of the world... I don't know what to say. In my home county I read about ancient artifacts and burial sites destroyed all the time and nothing happens, as I am the second person to ever in depth study this area and nobody cares honestly. Antiquity vs. modern times I wonder what will happen THIS is why history is important, but no just go ahead and fuck it all up for us. must stop ranting now

abgnoire, bdjackass318, EPIC_FAIL, Faline, gatagato, icheerthebull, invertigo, kellyhound, k_dub
Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 AM
banana dick
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:481

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1327

Old 05-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566

Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, gatagato
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:258
I need a nap =|
Contributions: 43

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3276

This is the only instance I will condone mob stoning .

Wreck these motherfuckers, but let them live. They can be an example for the rest of the company's desecrating historical treasures to make a quick buck.
These greedy fucks don't listen or care about trespassing laws or fines, they are sure they'll not be caught. And worth the risk because the profit out weighs the gain in their minds

Somebody pass me a brick.

bdjackass318, gatagato
Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM
chefbob09
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:243
Male

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3577

humans, this is why I hate them all

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chefbob09 For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, gatagato, k_dub
Old 05-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Kanda444
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20135 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss49377

fuck... that's goddamn nauseating.

bdjackass318, gatagato
Old 05-17-2013, 03:55 PM
PoetsOfTheFall
Offline:
℃я@їℊ‷﹩**ℓ☺ ♥℮
Poster Rank:54
female

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 6577 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16633

I can't believe!!!!Destroying your own history simply as that

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoetsOfTheFall For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, gatagato
Old 05-17-2013, 04:44 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
7/11 ssss61186

idiots at work.