dude

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss470
Bag O' Bones

They were found right outside the city I was born.

Bag of human remains found near Helena
Posted: Oct 5, 2011 9:51 PM by Marnee Banks KRTV

Forest Service officials found a bag of decomposing human remains on MacDonald Pass near Helena on Wednesday afternoon.

Lewis and Clark County Sheriff Leo Dutton says Forest Service official were out doing area checks on Forest Service property across the road from the Prickly Pear Sportsmen's Association shooting range when they stumbled across a suspicious bag of bones.

They called 911 and once law enforcement arrived they secured the area and called Lewis and Clark County Coroner Mickey Nelson.

"It appeared to me that the bones that were found were of a human nature. I talked with Dr. Kemp at the State Crime Lab and asked him to come to the scene because of the very unusualness of this. Upon his arrival, approximately 6 pm this evening, he confirms that these are human remains," Nelson says.

Nelson says law enforcement needs to finish processing the scene then the State Crime Lab will take the remains to Missoula for analysis. Montana Highway Patrol air support photographed the area and a forensic team was called to the scene.

"There is a criminal investigation going on because this is obviously not a routine situation," Nelson says.

"We'll work closely with Coroner Nelson to find out who this is, if at all possible, what happened, and we'll be here for a while," Dutton says.

Both the Coroner and the Sheriff would not comment further about other items found at the crime scene. However, if anyone has information about the remains you are asked to contact Crimestoppers at 406.443.2000.

Sheriff Dutton says the Forest Service road will remain closed until they finish processing the scene, which could be well into Thursday.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Australia Mate!
Poster Rank:238
I have a map of Tasmania

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3686
Re: Bag O' Bones

Old 10-07-2011, 04:54 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss61202

disposed body ?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:52 PM
prax22a
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:942
dude

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss470

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhound View Post
disposed body ?
I'm guessing so. As soon as I find out more about it I'll post it.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM
prax22a
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:942
dude

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss470

Here's some more I found. Normally, I wouldn't care so much. But, when it happens in my own home town in the middle of nowhere, it's kind of a big deal.

Lewis and Clark County officials are searching local missing persons cases and have consulted with the FBI as they try to identify human bones found in black trash bags near U.S. Highway 12 west of Helena.
A U.S. Forest Service employee spotted a bag Wednesday afternoon near MacDonald Pass and called law enforcement when he opened it and found what appeared to be human bones, said Sheriff Leo Dutton.
Coroner Mickey Nelson said the remains recovered Wednesday “would basically be consistent with one (person) at this point,” but he said it’s not impossible that there are remains of more than one person.
He said he believed the remains were of an adult but did not know if it was a man or woman or how long they had been there.
Officers continued to search the area Thursday.
In addition to looking at local missing persons cases, information from the investigation will be forwarded to the FBI to see if it is similar to any other cases involving remains found near highways, Dutton said.
The remains were found 75 to 100 yards away from the highway.
Nelson said that 30 years ago, the investigation likely would have focused only on people reported missing in the Helena area.
“In this day and age, I don’t think we can say that anymore,” he said. “Sure, they’re one of the first that we’re looking at. At the same time, that’s a major east-west highway.”
Nelson said he believes the case is a homicide.
“Somebody has put this person there, or it happened there and (they) tried to dispose of them,” Nelson said.