Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss279
Autism & the Mmr Vaccination...

So, there was a study of Autistic children by a Dr Andrew Wakefield who claimed that he had found a link with the mmr jab & Autism. Something to do with bacteria in the gut from measles? (Any info will be great if you have some please!)

My beautiful daughter Daisy is in the process of getting a diagnosis right now. So far after first meeting, the Doctor has said he thinks she is on the Autistic spectrum with learning difficulties. She will be 3 in July.

She seemed to be fine up until after she had the MMR. Was talking, she was just fine.

She seemed to lose it after. She can say one words now, is very behind with speech. She can say the words she wants though most times, like asking for chocolate lol. We use pictures to talk when she can't communicate. I spent hours making all her favourite things on them. She gets upset at changes, she does not play with toys, she just wants to watch the same thing over and over again about 20 times on tv.

Thats a few of her problems anyway. I am over the being upset and just can't wait to hopefully get a formal diagnosis and get her the help she deserves.

I have a baby, Cooper who will be 1 on Monday.
We just got his appointment through for his mmr.
If there is even a 1% chance he will end up with my daughters problems I don't want to risk it.

I wonder if anyone has any info on the mmr?
I heard I can pay privately to have the mmr in 3 seperate injections.

I don't know what to do, I wonder what the implications are if he does not have any vaccination?

Thanks for reading

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissBehave For This Useful Post:
Abaaub, Schwetzeline, synthninja
The Following 7 Users Disliked MissBehave For This Post:
benado, calstateworker, derpherp, k_dub, LadyCPlum, Shelbeano ^-^, turkiller
Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:123

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123
Re: Autism & the Mmr Vaccination...

There is no evidence of vaccines causing Autism.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to candymosh For This Useful Post:
5umguy24, Chrissy1313, honeysprite, jenn29, kaydeechio, kizzcee007, LadyCPlum, michmi, msweird, Ozzman, Pigeon, prax22a, Shelbeano ^-^, sparklingmachete, Vera Wang, winvens
The Following Users Disliked This Post By candymosh:
civilizedisamyth
Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 PM
candymosh
Offline:

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

I would tell you to check out an Early Childhood Intervention for your daughter but they only have them in the program until they are 3. You might be able to check with the schools to see if they have a PPCD (preschool program for children with disabilities) program. The earlier you get her started with any type of intervention, the better.

I have a daughter on the spectrum. I did a lot of research into the vaccines as well. There has never been a conclusive link to any vaccine and Autism.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to candymosh For This Useful Post:
Abaaub, jenn29, LadyCPlum, Milieu
The Following Users Disliked This Post By candymosh:
civilizedisamyth
Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 AM
derpherp
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:18324

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

link does not exist.

The Following Users Disliked This Post By derpherp:
civilizedisamyth
Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 AM
ebneter
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1501

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss230

Please read this article in Time, which is a fairly good summary for a layperson. There is no credible scientific evidence for a link between vaccines in general, or the MMR vaccine specifically, and autism.

I wish you and your children the very best. If she does have an autism-spectrum disorder, please know that you did not in any way cause it, and the vaccine did not cause it either. Please get your son vaccinated.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ebneter For This Useful Post:
300ZXNA, ChemJoe, honeysprite, jenn29, LadyCPlum, Milieu, Pigeon, Shelbeano ^-^, Vera Wang
The Following Users Disliked This Post By ebneter:
civilizedisamyth
Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 AM
corpsehands
Offline:
LLKH
Poster Rank:29
dong

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 12414 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 13/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss24978

i have no idea about any of this...but best of luck

Old 05-06-2012, 05:06 AM
300ZXNA
Offline:
Poster Rank:3989

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss48

I am currently a medical student, and have 2 boys, age 2 and 11 mo. I have researched this issue through as many evidence based sources as I can, and have to agree that there is no credible evidence for vaccines being the cause. It is a sad case of coincidence that autism tends to take hold at the same age that vaccines are recommended. Sources such as Natural News, that push an anti-vaccination agenda are extremely manipulative of the facts and are essentially tabloid medicine. What I do suggest is doing a search about autism and phthalates, these have shown an evidence based link to autism.

Sadly, many people have been taken in by the anti-vaccination propaganda out there, and it is starting to cause real problems.

My wife works as an RN at a pediatric center, and just last week they had a 6 week old baby die of whooping cough. :( Small infants rely on the herd immunity to protect them, and that is being broken down as a result of people failing to immunize. The clinic is now advising parents of infants to cancel any vacations or other trips until the children are older, as many diseases that were dealt with prior are coming back as vaccination rates drop.

This is what makes me saddest, is that children here in the US are dying needlessly because of shoddy science that has caught on as a mainstream belief. Please vaccinate your children, and I wish you the best regarding your family having to cope with autism.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to 300ZXNA For This Useful Post:
Abaaub, Chrissy1313, ebneter, honeysprite, jenn29, kaydeechio, LadyCPlum, ldelgadillo, msweird, Nickola, Pigeon, rob666, Shelbeano ^-^, slash4321, Softballmama13, Vera Wang
The Following Users Disliked This Post By 300ZXNA:
civilizedisamyth
Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 AM
300ZXNA
Offline:
Poster Rank:3989

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss48

Oh, I also wanted to add a quick note about studies. People so often say 'well a study said this, so it must be true' but understand there are many different types of studies, some much better than others, and things such as sample size make a HUGE difference in the accuracy of a study.

On top of that, even if you have a sufficient number of patients and you choose a the best type of study (double blind randomized), the results may be flawed if the design of the testing methods themselves were not accurate.

The study that sparked the debate over autism and vaccines had a sample size of 12. In medicine, that is ridiculously small, it is equivalent to trying to determine how often a quarter lands heads or tails by flipping it once.

The ONLY logically correct conclusion that should have been taken from that 1998 study is that more study was needed to verify or debunk the link. All subsequent studies (some with sample sizes in the hundreds of thousands) have failed to find a link.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 300ZXNA For This Useful Post:
Abaaub, Chrissy1313, ebneter, Pigeon, rob666, Softballmama13
The Following Users Disliked This Post By 300ZXNA:
civilizedisamyth
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

Thought it a load of bollocks personally. I read up on it a while back and saw no actual proof at all. My son was vaccinated and so was everyone else's child i know and never heard of any after affects.

If you read up about autism you will find it says that autism doesn't start to show until around the age of 3. They can appear to be developing normally and then regress.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1203100809.htm

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
LadyCPlum, ldelgadillo, rob666, Shelbeano ^-^, winvens
Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM
candymosh
Offline:

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

They are doing quite a few other studies you may want to take a look at too.

They think there may be a link between age of the father, weight of the mother during pregnancy, how far apart your children are.....

The Following 3 Users Disliked candymosh For This Post:
civilizedisamyth, mrsthomason, srs32805