Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527
Australian Man Declared Dead, Found Alive After Crash

Second person this week that we heard about in Australia! I don't get this one. The medics kept insisting he was alive.

A 30-year old man from Melbourne, Australia made headlines in early April.

The man was declared dead by paramedics after wrecking his Porsche. Emergency workers claimed to have seen the man twitch and shudder during the wreck, but this was a normal occurrence due to spinal injuries.

Lachlan Quick, spokesman for the State Emergency Service, explained that medics saw the twitching, but ignored it. “They mentioned it to the ambulance guys, who said that it, (movement), can be attributed to this sort of effect when there’s a spinal injury.”

“It was raised and addressed and discussed and then put to one side and they went about their business.”

The man was left in his Porsche for about one hour before being removed and lowered to the ground. His pulse was detected while he was being moved into a coroner’s van. Volunteer emergency workers previously told paramedics about the man’s twitching movements, but the paramedics still insisted the man was dead.

The accident occurred due to the man’s vehicle colliding with a four-wheel drive vehicle, which caused the man’s car to flip. The accident occurred at about 2 AM. The driver is now hospitalized at Royal Melbourne Hospital, and he is battling to live on.

A spokesperson for Ambulance Victoria said they are unsure of the circumstances surrounding the event.

Photo of car here http://www.dbtechno.com/curiosity/20...porsche-crash/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
gatagato, K9Grip
Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Kadavar
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:719
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss730
Re: Australian Man Declared Dead, Found Alive After Crash

Wow, these are trained professionals. Hope i don't need em next time i visit Victoria.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kadavar For This Useful Post:
gatagato, K9Grip
Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 AM
gatagato
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5491

Paramedics admit huge mistake in crash case

Quote:

The family of a man mistakenly declared dead following a horror car crash is praying his 'never give up attitude' will see him through.

It comes as ambulance officers admit their mistake after wrongly pronouncing Daniel Huf dead as he lay trapped and clinging to life in his overturned Porsche at Bacchus March.

The 30-year-old car enthusiast was moments away from being taken to the morgue when SES volunteers found a weak pulse as they freed him from the wreckage in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Ambulance Victoria chief executive Greg Sassella said a preliminary review has found the paramedics who attended the crash scene made a huge mistake.

He said the paramedics are devastated and remorseful, and while at the time they thought they had checked for all signs of life, they now admit their assessment was wrong.

"We already know that the fundamental error occurred," Mr Sassela said.

"The paramedics made an assessment that was incorrect and we know that is the root cause of the problem."

Meanwhile, Daniel's parents Colin and Elizabeth, and younger brother, Steven, have been keeping a bedside vigil.

Daniel has shown small signs of improvement, but remains in a serious but stable condition at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

The hospital today released a statement on behalf of Daniel's family saying: "It was by God's gracious hand that Daniel has survived his ordeal thus far."

They said he has a 'never give up attitude', which the family hope and pray will see him through.

The family praised the work of SES crews at the crash scene, and refused to comment on the actions of paramedics currently under investigation.

"They should be praised for the wonderful work they do under very demanding circumstances," the statement said.

Left for dead: Daniel Huf.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshom...in-crash-case/
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fa...404-1wd3s.html

'Dead' Vic crash victim was breathing

Quote:
Two senior paramedics saw that a man trapped in a Melbourne car crash was breathing but still inexplicably pronounced him dead and left the scene.

Medical logs show the paramedics agreed Daniel Huf was breathing when they examined the 30-year-old in the wreck of his car, yet still wrongly declared him dead, Ambulance Victoria said.

Ambulance Victoria CEO Greg Sassella said the paramedics could not explain their actions in the early hours of Sunday, April 1, with a review finding the pressure of the crash scene near Bacchus Marsh may simply have triggered a bizarre lapse in their judgment.

Advertisement: Story continues below "We don't know why the error occurred. The paramedics can't explain their actions other than to say that if they had the same case they would do it differently," Mr Sassella told reporters on Friday.

"They noted that the patient was breathing and yet equally pronounced the patient as deceased".

"The only thing we can deduce at the minute is that under extreme pressure people do make strange decisions from time to time and this is clearly one of those."
Read more
So, basically, the pressure was so extreme that they were unable to realize that a breathing man is NOT a dead man.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Faline, K9Grip
Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 AM
TheCapn
Offline:
Poster Rank:856
Male

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss545

He drove a Porsche, what a douche.

The Following 2 Users Disliked TheCapn For This Post:
johnleeknoefler, Neo1130
Old 04-15-2012, 11:04 AM
kik
Offline:
Poster Rank:702
Male

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss753

Yeah a 944 even, he must have been poor and pretending to be rich :).

As for the incident my wife is a CERT member 'Community Emergency Response Team', she says with some people of which I am one of, it is almost impossible to detect a pulse, everytime i have been to the hospital or whatever someone calls someone else to try and find my pulse........I'm really a zombie :)

Old 04-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

Hope he makes it, and driving a Porsche doesn't make you an asshole but jealousy does.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stevee For This Useful Post:
Angelahh, DannyDrama, johnleeknoefler, K9Grip, scubahood
Old 04-15-2012, 04:33 PM
DannyDrama
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:356
Contributions: 1

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2093

Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
Yeah a 944 even, he must have been poor and pretending to be rich :).

As for the incident my wife is a CERT member 'Community Emergency Response Team', she says with some people of which I am one of, it is almost impossible to detect a pulse, everytime i have been to the hospital or whatever someone calls someone else to try and find my pulse........I'm really a zombie :)
Same, I'm pronounced dead on arrival every time I walk into the ER. In fairness, even I can't find my own pulse.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
mwt77932
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:532
Male

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1145

He was twitching and no one thought to reach over and check his pulse just in case?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 PM
kik
Offline:
Poster Rank:702
Male

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss753

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt77932 View Post
He was twitching and no one thought to reach over and check his pulse just in case?
Man please read the entire thread and absorb it before posting.