Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 9043 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63926
AUSTRALIA FLOODS CONTINUED : "Inland Sea Moves Across Victoria"

Australia floods: 'Inland sea' moves across Victoria

Parts of the south-eastern Australian state of Victoria are braced for the approach of a giant lake of floodwater 55 miles (90km) long, as Australia's severe flooding problems continue.

Deputy PM Wayne Swan said the recent floods would rank as one of Australia's most costly natural disasters ever.

More than 30 people have been killed since flooding began last month.

In Queensland, which has witnessed the worst of the flooding, nine people are still missing.

Floods tore through the towns of Toowomba and Grantham.

But record rains have shifted the flood emergency focus from the north-eastern state to Victoria in the south-east, which is experiencing its worst floods since records began 130 years ago.

The Victoria State Emergency Service (SES) has issued evacuation warnings for communities east of the city of Kerang, which remains cut off.

In all, more than 75 towns have been affected, and the SES said up to 10 towns remained in the floodwaters' northern path across flat, wheat-growing country.

In the city of Swan Hill, people have been building makeshift levees to hold back the Murray River, which is expected to carry the bulk of the floodwaters as they run off over the next 10 days.

Sandbags and misery

"There is no doubt the recent floods will rank as one of the most costly natural disasters in our history," said Mr Swan, who is also Australia's treasurer.

The impact of the floods was worse than a series of natural disasters in the 1970s and wildfires in 2009 in which 173 people died.

Further north, in Queensland, residents of the state capital, Brisbane, have again been putting out sandbags as high tides threaten to inflict more misery on low-lying suburbs.

The city is still clearing up after floodwaters two weeks ago reached a peak of 4.46m (14.6ft).

The search for the bodies of flood victims is continuing.

The Australian navy has been trying to clear the Brisbane River of tonnes of debris including cars, parts of buildings and boats, says the BBC's Nick Bryant in Sydney.

The floods are expected to pose a threat for another week.

*we need to remember our Australian members and wish them all well*

Some have checked in and are OK, but remember this is going to eventually take its toll on everybody in one way or the other

Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392
Re: AUSTRALIA FLOODS CONTINUED : "Inland Sea Moves Across Victoria"

Damn

Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

Are these floods going to recede back to their natural state or is the Australian landscape changed forever?.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
Poster Rank:8
female

Activity Longevity
4/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63926

I would like to have some knowledgable (geological/geographical/ scientific) Australians....who have studied that landscape come on here and tell us their opinions.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:41 PM
D2D
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:954
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss465

The water will recede in time. The problem with these floods coming after years of heavy drought in terms of farming and those living of the land is that the top soil is so loose and vible that these floods have completley eroded the quality top soil making it impossible to plant crops for next season. So Pink , in terms of farming and agriculture the next few years will really tell us the true extent of the floods and how far reaching their impact will be . It will put a massive dent in our export market thats for sure.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Australia Mate!
Poster Rank:238
I have a map of Tasmania

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3686

Landscapes and people have changed forever. I am not sure how our farmers are going to recover, first years of relentless drought and now this like Woodsy said. I live in Toowoomba, and its amazing what you take for granted in the 'modern world' like our MacDonalds only have a limited menu because supplies have been unable to get in (and yes despite all the devestation people winge about not getting their hash browns!) , last week there wasn't any toilet paper left on the shelves as a result of people 'panic' buying. Less face it when you use up all your toilet paper and any tissues you have around the house what do you use? I guess time will tell how our economy will or will not recover, I hope this will also teach some people to appreciate what and who they have around them. You never know when it all may be taken away from you....

Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM
mwt77932
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:531
Male

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1145

I truely feel sorry for everyone that has been affected by that severe flooding. I have experienced flooding in my life before but nothing like that. Life will not return to normal in parts of that country for a very long time if ever.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
female

Activity Longevity
4/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The water will recede in time. The problem with these floods coming after years of heavy drought in terms of farming and those living of the land is that the top soil is so loose and vible that these floods have completley eroded the quality top soil making it impossible to plant crops for next season. So Pink , in terms of farming and agriculture the next few years will really tell us the true extent of the floods and how far reaching their impact will be . It will put a massive dent in our export market thats for sure.
Thank you for that piece of information.

so, am I anywhere near accurate when likening the upcoming situation in australia to the DUST BOWL of the '30s in the USA???? .....Where the topsoil was rendered sterile (not by the same means as the topsoil in Australia??

Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

Must be horrible to lose everything you owned and worked for.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
female

Activity Longevity
4/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve. View Post
Must be horrible to lose everything you owned and worked for.
Our house on the south shore of Lake Pontcharrain was in a neighborhood that was Marina to the east, canal to the west and lake to the north.

I wont even drive by the empty lot anymore.

THANK GOD we were heavily insured.....but that still cant bring back everything.