Go Back  

Aussies Laughing Their Heads Off Over Anti-Obama Teen Girl. 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 11-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Drusilla
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:967
Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss454
Aussies Laughing Their Heads Off Over Anti-Obama Teen Girl.

Hope this hasn't been posted anywhere else,but it made me laugh.

Presumably upset by President Barack Obama's reelection, a Georgia teen, like many other disgruntled Americans, took to Twitter to express her frustrations. She could never have imagined, however, the sort of backlash she would get for her tweet.

As the Herald Sun notes, on Wednesday afternoon, 18-year-old Kristen Neel tweeted this comment to her followers:

Within hours, an onslaught of criticism erupted as many Australians pointed out that the leader of their country, Julia Gillard, is an atheist and a woman.

Ian Cuthbertson, TV editor at The Australian, and author Mark Pesce, were among those who responded to Neel's message.
Ian Cuthbertson
@cuthbertsoni

@KristenNeel_ Our prime minister is a woman, an atheist who lives with a man she hasn't married. I don't think you'd like it here.
7 Nov 12
Retweet
Favorite
Mark Pesce
@mpesce

.@KristenNeel_ 1) Australia does not have a president. 2) Our prime minister is an atheist. 3) Yes, she really is.
7 Nov 12
Retweet
Favorite
Gilbert
@post_rock0

.@kristenneel_ our "president" is a prime minister, is a woman, and is an atheist. I think you meant Antarctica. Move there.
7 Nov 12
ABCnewsIntern
@ABCnewsIntern

@KristenNeel_ Not one word of that sentence is true. I'm not even angry, I'm impressed.
7 Nov 12
Retweet
Favorite
According to Australia's Herald Sun, Neel's tweet quickly became a viral sensation, receiving more than 1,400 retweets from "bemused Aussies" and others.

But while many criticized the Georgia teen for getting her facts muddled, some Twitter users leapt to her defense, "saying she had been the victim of trolls," Australia's Fraser Coast Chronicle writes.

Still, less than a day after her tweet was posted, Neel disabled her account.
In the aftermath of the Twitter frenzy, many have pointed out that Neel is not alone in her ignorance of the land Down Under or in her desire to move there following Obama's reelection.

In a post entitled "Kristen Neel not alone in not having a clue about Australia," the Chronicle's Mark Furler wrote that "many Americans know about as much about Australia as they do Austria."

"I remember once being asked where I was from by a waitress in a food outlet in the US," Furler writes. "After telling her Australia, she replied, 'How far is that drive?'"

"Given the level of coverage of Australian politics on US TV news, you can forgive Kristen Neel for her tweet," he continued.

Nonetheless, plenty of people in the Twitterverse have also said they would move Down Under if Obama won the election.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2093160.html

This is my favorite response:

Oopsies!
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021762663#post1

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Drusilla For This Useful Post:
260RS, Brometheus, icheerthebull, jesseprimus, Keydog, Parannoyed, Paupercool1, rapeWhistle, Seven Of Nine
Old 11-10-2012, 01:20 AM
Spiffyfable
Offline:
★ PSYCHOPOMP ★
Poster Rank:86
Man

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11935
Re: Aussies Laughing Their Heads Off Over Anti-Obama Teen Girl.

Hope they make the move anyway

The Following User Says Thank You to Spiffyfable For This Useful Post:
Paupercool1
Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 AM
Brometheus
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:287
Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865

glad this was made into news.. now about the racists...

ahh nevermind..

Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 AM
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:395
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1836

hilarious

Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 412

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss61159

Quote:
Within hours, an onslaught of criticism erupted as many Australians pointed out that the leader of their country, Julia Gillard, is an atheist and a woman.

Ian Cuthbertson, TV editor at The Australian, and author Mark Pesce, were among those who responded to Neel's message.
why are they following some 18 yo teen from the U.S anyway or care what some unknown teen has to say and more important why it hit the news ?

Feels like it was made worldwide news to point out many americans have no clue about other countries or some sort ?
all weird.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 AM
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:395
Male

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1836

i agree, i was suspicious at first at how this made it so globally unless she was already popular for some reason on twitter perhaps ??

Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Vera Wang
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1006
Female

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss425

Its so funny that we sent all of our "undesirables" to Australia, and waved off the "god-fearing" to the US.

Fast forward a few decades, and we see Australia as being one of the most sought after places to live/visit, whilst the US is a shit fest of fucked up attitudes towards life and each other, and the rest of the world.

I accept that this is a sweeping generalisation, but I'm sure you take my point.

Sorry America, I apologise on behalf of England for letting those fuckwits climb aboard. (There's never an iceberg around when you need one - ask any polar bear)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vera Wang For This Useful Post:
Brometheus, Darkest Angel, Paupercool1, rapeWhistle
Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 AM
econobox
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3567

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss57

Also for those Republicans wanting to go to Australia after an Obama victory: Australia's reputation for being populated by convicts dates back to when it was a British colony, rather than an independent country. Your membership in the 1% of stock market manipulatiors and job destroyers for personal profit is an impediment to being accepted, rather than a qualification.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to econobox For This Useful Post:
Bleeed.exe, Keydog, Nite, rapeWhistle
Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 AM
grimekeepa
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:591
male

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss985

I went to school for 2 years in The U.S.A. It was Longwood ,FL and all in all the people were nice, and it seemed like it was a normal place. Then school started..... Total shock to the senses. Everything they were teaching I had learned 2 years prior, their history class stops at the border, and the teachers don't really give a shit what you do or learn. It was sad, and I had people believing that you had to park your car at the border when crossing into Canada due to weather. (snow) that we still used oil lamps made of whale oil because of not being able to build.

What I'm getting at is this.... it's not the American's fault that they are dumbed down in places. It makes for easier population control. But There is hope yet. There are lots of American's I've met with great heads on their shoulders, and they are awakening others.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grimekeepa For This Useful Post:
firegirl, rapeWhistle
Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss51378

This girl's goofy error is global news??? Crazy