Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss74
Re: Atheist Teen Forces School to Remove Prayer from Wall After 49 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47pup View Post
I can already tell I am going to get way off topic by this. IF you are even interested in my biblical studies and rebuttals or certain things i will pm my thoughts on it.

I just dont want to derail the thread anymore than I have and I want this to be a respectable conversation.
Haha, you're making this hard for me. Religion makes me angry and, like kanda said, you're so nice. Makes it hard to get angry. If there's one thing I've learned over years of religious debate, it's that one side will rarely admit they're wrong in any way. I do love to debate, so if you want to continue this in pm, I'm fine with that.

The Following User Says Thank You to dankboosh For This Useful Post:
Tefik
Old 02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
kanda444

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 0/20
Today Posts
sssssssss

that's why i dont argue religion anymore... because of AK. i don't really know her other than a few conversation but she is so nice and i felt like i was being such an ass that i felt horrible afterwards. so i thought, if i feel bad, i bet i made her feel bad... and i didn't like that so i stopped arguing about religion because it didnt' really help anything. nobody switched sides, we only got more in love with our own point of view. it was pointless and now i feel bad even talking to her because i was such an ass... sorry, ak, btw...

i'm gonna leave this thread now.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Tefik
Old 02-14-2012, 04:47 PM
dankboosh
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3068
Male.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss74

I wouldn't go that far. If you're worried about hurting someone's feelings, you shouldn't debate at all. Same goes if you're prone to getting your feelings hurt (not saying that AK is). AK's kindness makes it hard to get mad, but it doesn't make it hard to state what I believe are the facts. Debating religion is often a fruitless endeavor, more so than any other form of debate, but it's still necessary.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:52 PM
kanda444

Activity Longevity
0/20 0/20
Today Posts
sssssssss

i'm not worried about hurting feelings. i just dont see the point in isolating myself and not getting to talk to cool people because i would rather restate my opinion over and over in a thread when nobody is listening. i don't get any kind of pleasure out of being right and i don't feel stupid when i'm wrong, so arguing doesn't serve me anyway. i don't talk to some people on here because i acted like a jackass during a e-fight and that sucks. i was just stating that it took her kindness to show me that i was being a dick for no reason. that's what i was trying to say..... i smoke a bit of weed so i dont always make the most sence.

Tefik
Old 02-14-2012, 05:01 PM
güttsfükk
Offline:
Super *********
Poster Rank:34

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22942

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanda444 View Post
i just dont see the point in isolating myself and not getting to talk to cool people because i would rather restate my opinion over and over in a thread when nobody is listening.
it's only the people who like you too that you can have a proper debate with though. it's not a proper debate, nor a real friendship, if you've got to shelter your beliefs

Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM
kanda444

Activity Longevity
0/20 0/20
Today Posts
sssssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by güttsfükk View Post
it's only the people who like you too that you can have a proper debate with though. it's not a proper debate, nor a real friendship, if you've got to shelter your beliefs
that's true. i don't think anyone should shelter their beliefs in anyway but i do feel that people should and can be respectful when debating. a debate should be passion filled since people have passion about their beliefs but when that passion turns to anger, communication tends to breaks down and in most cases the debate is rendered pointless because both sides are just redundantly stating their points of view and neither is really trying to learn... which is an agurment, not a debate. the point, in my opinion, should be to enter a debate with a point of view that you hold securly enough that you can take critizism and have your opinions tested without getting angry because the other person is wrong...but at the same time, i think one has to be able to admit they are wrong if it comes down to it and be ready to learn about a different point of view.

with religion in paticular, the topic is SO personal for people because it is dealing with a subject that for some is based on personal experince, beliefs made fundemental for them in childhood by very influential people in their lives and years of family and cultural tradition... all of which plays a part in the enviromental conditioning of a person, which forms the way they experince reality. so, it's damn near impossible to uncondition a person who has been through that by simply stating and restating an opinion. that kind of change has to be a choice made by the individual, so in the case of religion, i would argue that debating religion for recreation is pointless... arguing about it could be enjoyable but not actual debate....for me anyway. that's not to say it's pointless on a social level... just on a recreational level for me personally.

I find no need to try to put somebody through the 'test of faith' agruements because it does nothing but solidify years of conditioning. I'd personally rather debate about fun stuff... like the pros and cons of weed vs alcohol, for example.

Tefik
Old 02-14-2012, 05:36 PM
güttsfükk
Offline:
Super *********

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22942

true, passion easily boils over into anger. especially with something as frustrating as religion. though i do like the ability when debating online, where i can write something and read it before posting it.and have a good think before speaking (not that i often do it) but "in real life" it's so much easier to speak before thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanda444 View Post
neither is really trying to learn...
the main difference is that most atheists grew up with religious parents, religious schools, religious grand parents or religious societies and have in most cases 2 decades of experiencing it/them. it's very rare to meet a religious person, who grew up an atheist.

i wonder why that is

Old 02-14-2012, 05:44 PM
MeMyselfandI
Offline:
Nope
Poster Rank:161
Male
Contributions: 13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6069

I'm pretty neutral in this subject but I must say this thread was a good read...good to hear opinions from both sides

Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 PM
kanda444

Activity Longevity
0/20 0/20
Today Posts
sssssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by güttsfükk View Post
true, passion easily boils over into anger. especially with something as frustrating as religion. though i do like the ability when debating online, where i can write something and read it before posting it.and have a good think before speaking (not that i often do it) but "in real life" it's so much easier to speak before thinking

the main difference is that most atheists grew up with religious parents, religious schools, religious grand parents or religious societies and have in most cases 2 decades of experiencing it/them. it's very rare to meet a religious person, who grew up an atheist.

i wonder why that is
i totally understand. that's what i mean. the atheist's environmental conditioning was one where they were taught certain fundamental beliefs as children but were forced to deal with opposing morals and beliefs nonstop just for trying to participate in society... so when you get the two together, there is generally no debating after the first few exchanges, just arguing. how could anyone be convinced to change to the side that they feel has imposed itself on them their whole life?

i was a chirstian and now am an not, so i see both sides. i have been yelling, at one point of another, from both sides... and the only mind i ever changed was my own. that's all i mean.

Tefik
Old 02-14-2012, 05:57 PM
güttsfükk
Offline:
Super *********

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22942

the one you changed, is the only one that really matters.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to güttsfükk For This Useful Post:
kanda444, Tefik