female

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 9043 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927
Arlington Refuses Burial of U.S. Ally from Vietnam War

Washington (CNN) -- The family of a man who fought alongside U.S. troops in Vietnam have been told their relative will not be allowed to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

Major General Vang Pao led thousands of Hmong soldiers as they fought alongside the United States against the North Vietnamese Army during the war in Southeast Asia, according to a news release from Congressman Jim Costa of California.

Costa, on behalf of Pao's family, asked the Army to grant an exception to Arlington's rules to allow Pao to be buried in the nation's most hallowed burial ground.

Pao died recently of complications from pneumonia, according to Costa.

"The Vang Pao family's request for an exception to the burial policy was thoroughly reviewed by a board comprised of senior military and civilian officials. ... After a comprehensive analysis, the board unanimously recommended denial of the request for exception to policy. Upon receipt of the board's input, the Secretary carefully reviewed and deliberated on this matter and accepted the board's recommendation," according to a statement from the Army released Friday evening.

According to the cemetery's policy, Pao would have had to have served in the U.S. armed forces to be eligible for the honor.

The family can still ask Defense Secretary Robert Gates and President Obama to make an exception. A Pentagon spokesman said he did not know if any request regarding Pao's burial had reached Gates as of Friday afternoon.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:08 PM
stan221180
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2625

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss96
Re: Arlington Refuses Burial of U.S. Ally from Vietnam War

Unsung heros voices should be heard and respected! Same with British! The Gurkas helped allied forces but never get the praise they deserve!!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

The Gurkas have been short changed for years, only recently have they been granted concessions for their heroics.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 PM
dooshman
Offline:
*Born Retard*
Poster Rank:58
Dude

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16098

I can understand the denial, as Arlington Cemetery is for U. S. Military soldiers only. On the other hand, this gentleman did fight for the same cause as the American troops during the Vietnam campaign. He did risk his life. So, also, the point can be made that he should be buried at Arlington Cemetery.

But one must consider the fact that he served for his own country, South Vietnam, as well. Had the U. S. not been involved, he would've still been a soldier in action during the SE Asian conflict. Therefore, his interests wasn't so much for America as it was for South Vietnam. I know this is a very thin line I'm making here, but it must be considered.

Would he had done the same for a cause that was solely American? My opinion, yes. But no one can be sure of it. This is one of the reasons why Arlington Cemetery is for U. S. soldiers only: they risked their lives for the American cause.

The Following User Says Thank You to dooshman For This Useful Post:
pyromancer555
Old 02-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
Poster Rank:8
female

Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

WELL-STATED, dooshman.

However, In MY opinion (and we all have them) soem type of honor should be given/awarded to him for his alliance. Not necessarily burial at Arlington, but certainly some recognition.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:30 PM
dooshman
Offline:
*Born Retard*
Poster Rank:58
Dude

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink. View Post
WELL-STATED, dooshman.

However, In MY opinion (and we all have them) soem type of honor should be given/awarded to him for his alliance. Not necessarily burial at Arlington, but certainly some recognition.
Oh, I'm certain he's gonna get some kind of honor. But not an Arlington Cemetery burial.

Nice news story, PINK. Keep it coming.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
Poster Rank:8
female

Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

Thanks. I try to find things that are interesting and that will allow for decent discussion.