Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668
Re: Arizona Toddler Picks Up Handgun, Pulls Trigger, Kills Baby Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeWhistle View Post
Apparently i was mature enough at age 7 or 8 that my Dad kept a loaded .380 stashed in his sock drawer for when he was working nights and my Mom was alone with my younger brother and myself. It was there only for emergencies and only he and I were to know about it not my friends or anyone else in the family. Never had to use it - only once did i actually check to see if it was there one day. Never betrayed his trust.... now, my younger brother, that little shit is 30yrs old and my Dad STILL hasn't told him the combo to his gun safe as for as i know.

Say what you will, but i'd been shooting since i was in pre-school.

Rape, you are a sage. Hell everybody's dad had a loaded gun in either their underware drawer (would that make it a drawers drawer?) or sock drawer. Very few kids shot themselves or others. What's changed is not the kids, it's the parents. My wife and I were discussing this the other day. Everything was different when I was a kid. Most, if not all, of the male teachers in school were guys that were veterans of either WWII or the Korean War. Now you'll be hard pressed to find a male teacher, let alone one that actually has a pair of balls left. The world has changed and I'm not sure what the deal is with parents these days, but they're weird. They demand that you change, not their kids. People are really odd about anything related to kids today. My God, my parents let us play with fuck'n lawn darts and bows and arrows. Now everything is all safe and stupid. Kids need to learn that they aren't the center of everyone's universe and that the world isn't a safe place.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
Kelseecat65, rapeWhistle
Old 06-03-2014, 01:37 AM
BBKF
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:654
Female

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss838

The guy is 78 years old. The article states they were only at the house for 10 minutes. If he didn't know they were just stopping by, perhaps the first thing on his 78 year old mind, was not his gun. Shouldn't the mother have kept children that young by her side and not let them out of sight and able to get ahold of anything? (gun, medication, alcohol)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BBKF For This Useful Post:
30564U, Darkest Angel, Kelseecat65, rapeWhistle, winvens
Old 06-03-2014, 05:26 PM
30564U
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:298
Comrade

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKF View Post
The guy is 78 years old. The article states they were only at the house for 10 minutes. If he didn't know they were just stopping by, perhaps the first thing on his 78 year old mind, was not his gun. Shouldn't the mother have kept children that young by her side and not let them out of sight and able to get ahold of anything? (gun, medication, alcohol)

You are exactly correct. People act like guns just lay in wait for hapless children to wander by when they suddenly fire...like a beautifully blued angry rattlesnake. Loaded guns laying within reach of a child are fairly rare. There are tons of other things that are more dangerous and far more likely to kill or injure small children, i.e. medication, illegal dope, fixed blade knives, poisons, dogs, snakes, spiders, poisonous bugs, insulin syringes, alcohol, Christ everything is potentially dangerous for an unsupervised child. It sounds horrible, but some kids are stupid and need to be followed around continuously. Parents need to teach their children to stop touching crap that isn't theirs and most accidental poisonings and shootings wouldn't happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
BBKF
Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 PM
rapeWhistle
Offline:
Hand of the King
Poster Rank:15
Standing by...
Contributions: 53

Mentioned: 479 Post(s)
Quoted: 21590 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40829

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30564U View Post
Rape, you are a sage. Hell everybody's dad had a loaded gun in either their underware drawer (would that make it a drawers drawer?) or sock drawer. Very few kids shot themselves or others. What's changed is not the kids, it's the parents. My wife and I were discussing this the other day. Everything was different when I was a kid. Most, if not all, of the male teachers in school were guys that were veterans of either WWII or the Korean War. Now you'll be hard pressed to find a male teacher, let alone one that actually has a pair of balls left. The world has changed and I'm not sure what the deal is with parents these days, but they're weird. They demand that you change, not their kids. People are really odd about anything related to kids today. My God, my parents let us play with fuck'n lawn darts and bows and arrows. Now everything is all safe and stupid. Kids need to learn that they aren't the center of everyone's universe and that the world isn't a safe place.
Educate your children, or Darwin will.

I'm grateful that my Dad taught us how to safely use firearms and respect the fact that they will kill anything you point them at! I had toy guns and REAL ones too; but, being properly instructed and taught to respect them - i always knew the difference.

Pretending they don't exist or forbidding a child to handle or be around them only make them seem as appealing as the cookie jar on top of the shelf. A child needs to hold that thing in their hand, feel it go off, have their senses jarred by that loud explosive force, and see exactly what a gun will do to it's target.

(my 2cents)

i'm not sure i'd have the patience to deal with an aging pig.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rapeWhistle For This Useful Post:
30564U, CrunchyCripple, Kelseecat65, winvens
Old 06-04-2014, 01:35 AM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30564U View Post
Eric and I talk about this same thing all the time. The world is so different now...so "PC".
I grew up with a compound bow, guns, dirt bikes, go karts...there was none of this PC bullshit and when my dad said "do not touch...(insert whatever here)" We listened. We were never hit, but the intimidation factor was huge. If my kid goes to school and so much as points his finger at another kid, simulating a "gun", he will get expelled. But this screwed up bs is for another thread!

In this particular case, all adults are to blame.
Mom should not have let her kids wander and out of her sight.
The friend should have secured the weapons before letting anyone in that bedroom.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
30564U, rapeWhistle, winvens
Old 06-04-2014, 01:41 AM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeWhistle View Post
Educate your children, or Darwin will.

I'm grateful that my Dad taught us how to safely use firearms and respect the fact that they will kill anything you point them at! I had toy guns and REAL ones too; but, being properly instructed and taught to respect them - i always knew the difference.

Pretending they don't exist or forbidding a child to handle or be around them only make them seem as appealing as the cookie jar on top of the shelf. A child needs to hold that thing in their hand, feel it go off, have their senses jarred by that loud explosive force, and see exactly what a gun will do to it's target.

(my 2cents)
For as much complaining as I do about my ex husband and his "cop" attitude, he gets an "A" for gun safety and education. Jake has learned gun safety from the age of 2. He goes shooting with his dad on a regular basis, knows proper handling etc. He will never be alone with a weapon, until he is an adult, but for a 13 year old, he has shot some kick ass guns and has a huge respect for their power.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
30564U, rapeWhistle, winvens
Old 06-04-2014, 01:45 PM
30564U
Offline:
Poster Rank:298
Comrade

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelseecat65 View Post
For as much complaining as I do about my ex husband and his "cop" attitude, he gets an "A" for gun safety and education. Jake has learned gun safety from the age of 2. He goes shooting with his dad on a regular basis, knows proper handling etc. He will never be alone with a weapon, until he is an adult, but for a 13 year old, he has shot some kick ass guns and has a huge respect for their power.
Sorry about the ex husband and the "cop attitude" it's fairly pervasive in the business. I've always tried to be aware of it and not to do that...I am a world class smart ass, but I never developed a very good cop attitude. I have friends who are very copie and are assholes at work and then at home they're normal. I never did that...I was the same guy at work as I was at home. I never had a "game face", of course I spent most of my career in investigations. If I'd stayed as a beat cop I probably would have had to developed one to just survive. We not all dickweeds...I wish folks would just take us as they find us...without preconceptions.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:38 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

We always had guns in the house growing up. We never knew where they were but they were out of sight and out of reach of kids. All I know is they were kept in my parents' room and we were never allowed in there anyway.

All I'm saying is the kid should not have been able to pick up a loaded gun. Maybe everyone should tell their kids to never touch a gun, but that doesn't mean all people will. Guns can be far more dangerous than a lit candle and I wouldn't have that where a three year old could reach it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
gatagato, rapeWhistle, winvens
Old 06-05-2014, 05:46 AM
winvens
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:125
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 4341 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
We always had guns in the house growing up. We never knew where they were but they were out of sight and out of reach of kids. All I know is they were kept in my parents' room and we were never allowed in there anyway.

All I'm saying is the kid should not have been able to pick up a loaded gun. Maybe everyone should tell their kids to never touch a gun, but that doesn't mean all people will. Guns can be far more dangerous than a lit candle and I wouldn't have that where a three year old could reach it.
It was the same with my grandfather. He had hunting rifles and ammo but us grandkids had no clue where either were kept. All I know is both were stored in locked boxes (or my grandparents safe) in separate areas of their house. Never ever were loaded guns around for us to play with. Grandpa would have been utterly devastated if any of us were killed through accidental discharge.

One cannot always expect children to obey adults, especially when they're toddlers like that little boy. Why take a chance? Better to be safe than sorry.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to winvens For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Megamel29, rapeWhistle
Old 06-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Nasty Nuggets
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1027

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 9/20
Today Posts