Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615
Re: Arizona Toddler Picks Up Handgun, Pulls Trigger, Kills Baby Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30564U View Post
YOU FORGOT THAT ANY GOOD GUN OWNER SHOULD KEEP THE DAMN SMOKE WAGON (cowboy talk) HANGING FROM HIS/HER WAIST. That way they know where the thing is when they need it, not laying around. Geez.
Silly me, what was I thinking!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
30564U
Old 06-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
The homeowner should have put the gun out of reach of the children when they came over, or refused to let them in the house. I'm all for responsible gun ownership. Leaving a loaded gun where a three year old can reach it isn't responsible. It would have been as easy as putting it on a high shelf the kid couldn't reach. I wouldn't even leave a lit candle where a kid that small could reach it.

When Jakes dad and I were married, anytime we went to see his dad and step mom, the "G-U-N" *spelled out* had to be secured in their room, on the closet shelf, with the door locked. In case one of the young kids brushed up against him etc. It was really annoying, but he complied. He used to get so angry because as a cop, he felt he needed that gun his on him at all times. However, they were very proactive about no children seeing it, knowing it was there or even saying that word.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
ANd here comes the idiots, the previous two posters being the bigger of the lot who are commenting on guns laying around.

Kids get up to all kinds of shit and the neighbour doesn't have them. Stop turning this into an anti gun debate. Fucking dullards.
I'm totally pro guns.
I'm anti irresponsible gun owners.

He knew the gun was in there and allowed those kids into his apartment and also to roam around.

Door to the room should have been shut/locked or the gun put up, out of reach of the little ones.

It's really that simple.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
Megamel29, rapeWhistle, winvens
Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 PM
30564U
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:298
Comrade

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelseecat65 View Post
When Jakes dad and I were married, anytime we went to see his dad and step mom, the "G-U-N" *spelled out* had to be secured in their room, on the closet shelf, with the door locked. In case one of the young kids brushed up against him etc. It was really annoying, but he complied. He used to get so angry because as a cop, he felt he needed that gun his on him at all times. However, they were very proactive about no children seeing it, knowing it was there or even saying that word.
I feel the exact same way. One of the perks after you retire, you get the lifetime concealed weapons permit on your ID card and your retired wallet badge. With the new nationwide ability for retired and active officers to carry in any state it's quite a perk...and worth quite a bit of money to those willing to pay for protection. I can't imagine not wearing a handgun...it's been 30 years, that damn thing is a part of my clothing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, Kelseecat65
Old 06-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Quote:
I feel the exact same way. One of the perks after you retire, you get the lifetime concealed weapons permit on your ID card and your retired wallet badge. With the new nationwide ability for retired and active officers to carry in any state it's quite a perk...and worth quite a bit of money to those willing to pay for protection. I can't imagine not wearing a handgun...it's been 30 years, that damn thing is a part of my clothing.
That's right, I forgot about that. 30 years, that is a long time. If you are like all the other officers I know, once a cop, always a cop. It will always be in your blood.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
30564U
Old 06-02-2014, 03:46 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it. I've got the problem with the mommys of the world always whining that guns should be locked up, unloaded, and in a lock box, or safe. I get it, but since you can't change the world, how about changing the child. Teach the kid not to touch guns, no matter where they might find them. And if they do find one, to tell an adult. This kid was old enough. I did it with my daughters and I never had an issue. I also don't like leaving a gun lying around and believe that you should carry the handgun on your hip. You always know where it is if you wear it. If a gun is emptyand locked up it's worthless.
You mentioned having your gun holstered. If the gun owner did that the kid wouldn't have gotten it. And if we can't assume an adult won't make a mistake with a gun (like leaving it where a three year old can get it) how can we assume a kid won't make a mistake with a gun? You want to put the responsibility of gun safety on toddlers??

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
winvens
Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 AM
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:61
The Untrollable

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

Quote:
You mentioned having your gun holstered. If the gun owner did that the kid wouldn't have gotten it. And if we can't assume an adult won't make a mistake with a gun (like leaving it where a three year old can get it) how can we assume a kid won't make a mistake with a gun? You want to put the responsibility of gun safety on toddlers??
He puts the responsibility on parents to teach their children to fear and respect not only firearms, but also whatever parental discipline that may be doled out should the child be caught touching or playing with things that they have been told to stay away from.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metal Mike For This Useful Post:
30564U, BBKF, Kelseecat65, rapeWhistle, winvens
Old 06-02-2014, 05:13 AM
rapeWhistle
Offline:
Hand of the King
Poster Rank:15
Standing by...
Contributions: 53

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 21643 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 13/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss40918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mike View Post
He puts the responsibility on parents to teach their children to fear and respect not only firearms, but also whatever parental discipline that may be doled out should the child be caught touching or playing with things that they have been told to stay away from.
Apparently i was mature enough at age 7 or 8 that my Dad kept a loaded .380 stashed in his sock drawer for when he was working nights and my Mom was alone with my younger brother and myself. It was there only for emergencies and only he and I were to know about it not my friends or anyone else in the family. Never had to use it - only once did i actually check to see if it was there one day. Never betrayed his trust.... now, my younger brother, that little shit is 30yrs old and my Dad STILL hasn't told him the combo to his gun safe as for as i know.

Say what you will, but i'd been shooting since i was in pre-school.

i'm not sure i'd have the patience to deal with an aging pig.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rapeWhistle For This Useful Post:
30564U, hooverj, Kelseecat65, winvens
Old 06-02-2014, 05:31 AM
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:61
The Untrollable

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeWhistle View Post
Say what you will, but i'd been shooting since i was in pre-school.
Even at the tender age of 4, young rapeWhistle knew that he would have to either get rich or die trying.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metal Mike For This Useful Post:
30564U, rapeWhistle, winvens
Old 06-02-2014, 12:46 PM
30564U
Offline:
Poster Rank:298
Comrade

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:

No, I want to put the responsibility on the parents of the toddlers. You can't expect the world to be child safe, toddler safe, preteen safe, teenager safe, young adult safe. Teach the kid not to touch a damn gun when they find it laying around...tell somebody! It's not that hard to do...I did it, I sure sure the mommy brigade can figure out a way to do it. Stop blaming others for all the crap in the world and adult proof you kids. In some cases it's going to happen anyway, but at least you tried.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
Kelseecat65, rapeWhistle, winvens