Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12675
Re: Ancient City of Hatra Bulldozed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambini View Post
Stop assuming everyone is as ignorant as you.

Many of us are quite aware of the ancient sites in Iraq and Afghanistan that are being destroyed and which we will probably never get to visit due to the current political situation.
Thankyou.
I've always wanted to visit Mesopotamia and the Levant. So much history, from civilizations directly ancestral to many modern cultures worldwide, including "the West", and documented as being ancient by ancient sources (eg. the bible). It would have been nice to visit Babylon, the Great Ziggurat of Ur (even goddamn Saddam fully appreciated its importance, having it restored/rebuilt) and Nineveh— it was probably the true site of the Hanging Gardens (King Sennacherib built a garden fitting the description there).

It was never gonna happen though because these places were never going to be safe enough for my liking during my lifetime. Still, I could hope as long as those places actually exist. It'll all be gone soon...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pigeon For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001, Zambini
Old 03-08-2015, 02:38 PM
Zambini
Offline:
Instigator Extraordinaire
Poster Rank:53
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 8083 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
9/11 ssss16937
Re: Ancient City of Hatra Bulldozed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
Thankyou.
I've always wanted to visit Mesopotamia and the Levant. So much history, from civilizations directly ancestral to many modern cultures worldwide, including "the West", and documented as being ancient by ancient sources (eg. the bible). It would have been nice to visit Babylon, the Great Ziggurat of Ur (even goddamn Saddam fully appreciated its importance, having it restored/rebuilt) and Nineveh— it was probably the true site of the Hanging Gardens (King Sennacherib built a garden fitting the description there).

It was never gonna happen though because these places were never going to be safe enough for my liking during my lifetime. Still, I could hope as long as those places actually exist. It'll all be gone soon...
The land route to Asia that Marco polo took, now that would be an interesting journey too!

Attached Images

Oswald2001, Pigeon, winvens