Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866
American Student Punished for Refusing to Recite Mexican Pledge

American Student Punished for Refusing to Recite Mexican Pledge

Feb 27, 2013

By Todd Starnes

A Texas high school student has filed a federal lawsuit against her school and her teachers after she was punished for refusing to salute and recite the Mexican pledge of allegiance.
Click Here to see PDF file of the lawsuit.
The Thomas More Law Center filed the suit on behalf of Brenda Brinsdon alleging the McAllen Independent School District violated the 15-year-old girl’s constitutional rights when she was forced to recite the Mexican pledge and sing the Mexican national anthem.

Brinsdon, who is the daughter of a Mexican immigrant and an American father, refused. She believed it was un-American to pledge a loyalty oath to another country.

Ironically, the school district has a policy that prohibits a school from compelling students to recite the American Pledge of Allegiance.

The district also has a written policy that excuses students from reciting text from the Declaration of Independence if the student “as determined by the district, has a conscientious objection to the recitation.”

“There is a sad trend in public schools across our nation to undermine American patriotism,” said Richard Thompson president of the Thomas More Law Center. “But it’s encouraging to see students like Brenda stand up for America despite pressure from school officials.”

The TMLC told Fox News the district ignored its own rules when Brinsdon refused to recite the pledge of a foreign country.

What’s most troubling is the different treatment for someone wanting to opt out of reciting the American Pledge of Allegiance compared to someone as a matter of conscience wants to opt out of reciting the Mexican pledge,” spokesman Erin Mersino told Fox News.

A spokesman for the McAllen Independent School District told Fox News they had not seen a copy of the lawsuit.
<****** width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BO1BlsQopTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></******>
The recitation of the Mexican pledge and the singing of the Mexican national anthem was part of a 2011 Spanish class assignment at Achieve Early College High School. The teacher, Reyna Santos, required all her students to participate in the lesson.

When Brinsdon refused to back down – she was punished, the lawsuit alleges. She was given an alternative assignment on the Independence of Mexico. The teacher gave her a failing grade – and then required the student to sit in class over a period of several days to listen to other students recite the Mexican flag.

The lawsuit states Brinsdon offered to recite the American pledge in Spanish but the teacher refused her request.

“It’s astonishing that this Texas school would deny Brenda her right of conscience and free speech not to pledge allegiance to a foreign country,” said Thompson. “Too many Americans – including those of Mexican descent – have suffered and died protecting our nation.”

And while she is fluent in Spanish and English and is proud of her Mexican heritage, Brinsdon is a “true-blooded American,” Mersino added.

Mersino said it was especially troubling to watch video of students in the class standing up, extending their arms straight out, palms down and reciting the pledge of a foreign country.

“It’s disturbing – it truly was troubling,” she said.

Quote:
My opinion is that the principal is lying through his teeth. They removed her from the class because they will not stop the indoctrination and she refuses to cooperate. It's not just about learning about Mexican culture. If it was just showing the pledge and listening to the song once would be enough. Besides all that, the class is listed as SPANISH class, not Mexican culture class. Spanish is spoken in many South American nations as well as Spain.
~John Lee Knoefler
Quote:
Spain
Colombia
Peru
Venezuela
Ecuador
Guatemala
Cuba
Bolivia
Honduras
Paraguay
El Salvador
Costa Rica
Panama
Equatorial Guinea

If anyone wishes to place a call and complain to the school district:
Mcallen School District (956) 618-6000

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
Brenda Brinsdon.jpg  

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to johnleeknoefler For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, CuriousOne, invertigo, kellyhound, Megamel29, Nite
Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913
Re: American Student Punished for Refusing to Recite Mexican Pledge

Sounds like the teacher got miffed that the student didn't follow her command.

I used to work at a daycare where reciting the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance was part of the morning routine in every classroom. I silently objected and just helped keep the kids in line (I was in the room with the 2 and 3 year old kids) while the pledge was said. I didn't make a fuss over it until I was asked why I didn't say it. I simply said that since it includes the phrase "under God" in it, I was within my rights not to say it. One of the teachers in the room said that it was in the handbook (I never once saw a handbook) and that I could be penalized or fired for not saying it. I said to go ahead and try. It wouldn't be legal.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, Brometheus, CuriousOne, kellyhound, Shelbeano ^-^
Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM
thissmallfish
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:935
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss478

Pledging allegiance to a piece of land or indeed a flag. In the age of the internet. Simple things for simple minds.

Impotent Rage, kellyhound
Old 03-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Nite
Offline:
Retarded Genius
Poster Rank:3

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
Quoted: 16124 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
11/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssss88606

Interesting story, now am I right that this is a daily requirement? Like you say if it was once to learn part of their culture, but daily? That is insane

Old 03-03-2013, 12:40 PM
johnleeknoefler
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:229
Male
Contributions: 26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunt View Post
Interesting story, now am I right that this is a daily requirement? Like you say if it was once to learn part of their culture, but daily? That is insane
For all I know they are still doing it. Kids, born and raised in USA pledge to the Mexican flag in Spanish. A friend of mine said something about being Mexican and I was just surprised. I asked her how she could be Mexican when I thought she was born here. She blushed and then admitted that she used to think of herself as American but got slammed so much by Mexicans she just went along. Her complaint was that Mexicans will call her a traiter and harrass her.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnleeknoefler For This Useful Post:
HairyGrape, LadyCPlum, Nite
Old 03-03-2013, 07:11 PM
InbredMidget
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:1249

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss298

Fucking minorities trying to push their bullshit down every countries throats. Before long kids will be praising Allah every day before school.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InbredMidget For This Useful Post:
HairyGrape, imcoolnotyou, johnleeknoefler
Old 03-03-2013, 08:17 PM
thissmallfish
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss478

Quote:
Originally Posted by InbredMidget View Post
Fucking minorities trying to push their bullshit down every countries throats.
The irony of these statements never cease to make me smile.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 AM
johnleeknoefler
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:229
Male
Contributions: 26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866

Quote:
Originally Posted by thissmallfish View Post
The irony of these statements never cease to make me smile.
There is no irony. When I go to Mexico I happily speak Spanish even if I suck at it. I never insist on English.
I have been to court in Mexico and they refused to provide translation even though the Judge spoke English fairly well. I did have an aside with the Judge and won my case based on his understanding of the issues I laid out in English but I was able to finish my presentation in Spanish and prevailed, much to my delight and profit.
I related to a Mexican who asked me why and how I spoke Spanish that it was my feeling that if I cross the border it's my duty to try to speak the language of the people I meet. And furthermore, when people cross the border into USA they try to speak the defacto language of the people of our land. Fair is fair. Mutual respect. The lady was very happy to hear this and wanted to 'fist bump' and 'high five'. People love respect. Speak a bit of the native langauge and you will get some respect back. Insist on speaking a foreign langauge and you should expect to be ignored. Can you imagine an English class in Mexico that demanded you pledge allegiance to the American flag? You can't? Neither can I.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnleeknoefler For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, CuriousOne, Megamel29, wujuan
Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 AM
thissmallfish
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss478

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleeknoefler View Post
There is no irony. When I go to Mexico I happily speak Spanish even if I suck at it. I never insist on English.
I have been to court in Mexico and they refused to provide translation even though the Judge spoke English fairly well. I did have an aside with the Judge and won my case based on his understanding of the issues I laid out in English but I was able to finish my presentation in Spanish and prevailed, much to my delight and profit.
I related to a Mexican who asked me why and how I spoke Spanish that it was my feeling that if I cross the border it's my duty to try to speak the language of the people I meet. And furthermore, when people cross the border into USA they try to speak the defacto language of the people of our land. Fair is fair. Mutual respect. The lady was very happy to hear this and wanted to 'fist bump' and 'high five'. People love respect. Speak a bit of the native langauge and you will get some respect back. Insist on speaking a foreign langauge and you should expect to be ignored. Can you imagine an English class in Mexico that demanded you pledge allegiance to the American flag? You can't? Neither can I.
I see you missed my point entirely. Reading comprehension clearly isn't your strong suit.

CuriousOne, invertigo, LadyCPlum
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM
tbgo
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:3984

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss48