Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16444
American Restaurant(Chik-fil-a) in the Hot Seat with Gay Rights Groups

Chick-Fil-A Publicly Acknowledges It’s Conservative, Media Upset

When the head of a major fast food chain underscores his support for traditional marriage, lefty heads explode. Dan Cathy, son of Chick-fil-A founder S. Truett Cathy, told the Baptist Press July 16, that the conservative restaurant chain is, in fact, still conservative.

In response to a question pertaining to the franchise’s support of the traditional family, Cathy replied “guilty as charged.” The president and chief operating officer continued, “We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that... we know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

He reiterated his stance on the Ken Coleman radio show the next day. “As it relates to society in general, I think we’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think we can try to define what marriage is all about,” he explained.

Naturally, the Huffington Post, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and Advocate.com were among the many that were upset by the comments. Boycotts are now being organized, buzz is flying around the blogosphere, and people are leaving heated messages at both Chick-fil-A's and Cathy’s Facebook pages.

Huffington Post contributor Lorraine Devon Wilke wrote an article ironically titled “Chicken with a side of Bigotry, Chick-Fil-A’s Ungodly Business Plan “His stance against gays and lesbians is not only distasteful,” she said. “It is stupidly counterproductive to business, and what could be holier than the bottom line?” she wrote.

Post food writer Tim Carman, who once pledged to stop buying Godfather’s Pizza because of his dislike of Herman Cain, created a poll to see who would join him in a boycott. The overwhelming majority of the respondents clicked the ‘everyone is entitled to their own opinion’ option so far.

This wasn’t the first time that Chick-Fil-A has been criticized for its conservative outlook though.

It has promoted Biblical values for 66 years. This is best exemplified by its closed policy on Sundays and philanthropic efforts.

Pro-gay groups have been claiming that the company donated almost $2 million to what were labeled “anti-gay groups” in 2010 by its charitable arm called the WinShape Foundation. The Marriage & Family Foundation received the bulk of the funds, but the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, National Christian Foundation, and Family Research Council received funding too.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585
Re: American Restaurant(Chik-fil-a) in the Hot Seat with Gay Rights Groups

Who said you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stevee For This Useful Post:
AK47pup, Azimuth, EPIC_FAIL, Oswald2001, pyromancer555
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 PM
AK47pup
Offline:
Laaaa Deee FREAKIN Da!
Poster Rank:56
Female

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevee View Post
Who said you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time?
I think the media has taken this story and seriously made it worse than what it should be.

Had the restaurant actually refused service or denied employement I could understand the outrage, but they didn't. They are being criticized for serving chicken to straight people.

EPIC_FAIL, Oswald2001, pyromancer555, Zambini
Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

Pretty much yes, does it matter errrrrrrr nope next they will have to serve gay or straight chickens.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stevee For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001
Old 07-28-2012, 12:01 AM
chris50stang
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:725
male

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss725

just for that im going to stop eating there once a month and go more often

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris50stang For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001, pyromancer555
Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Brometheus
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:287
Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris50stang View Post
just for that im going to stop eating there once a month and go more often
funny.. a lot of people actually think like this.

Russell, Today 05:48 PM
I have never eaten at a chick-fil-a, But I will go out of my way to give them a try now! Wahooo, Eat More Chicken!

Thomas McAnnally, Today 06:49 PM
I'm eating at a Chick-fil-A now for my first time in support of Mr. Cathy and I hope a lot of other people will do the same. We don't need Government officials telling individuals or business owners that if you don't agree with them they will use their powers to punish you somehow. Let your voice be heard, get out and vote.

IMO its wrong for the gov't to intervene and all this senseless publicity. its actually working in the favor of them. Tommy Hilfiger was pretty much boycotted by blacks after the [false] rumors about him and racist comments surfaced, but his company is still around. Chik Fil A (hate that stupid name) will do fine.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:40 AM
niknik
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:68
Conservative OG

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 6771 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13673

So if you own a business you can't have a opinion? I don't care personally if gays marry. But I do care they think they can quiet others opinions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niknik For This Useful Post:
EPIC_FAIL, Sharon
Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 AM
AK47pup
Offline:
Laaaa Deee FREAKIN Da!
Poster Rank:56
Female

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16444

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
So if you own a business you can't have a opinion? I don't care personally if gays marry. But I do care they think they can quiet others opinions.
When it is election year you can't have an opinion without the media ripping you apart. I clearly think this is strictly political.

To create such a stir when the restaurant did nothing wrong is stupid. I have no issue with anyones sexual orientation, but when someone tries to force their rights on mine I have a problem. Gays "fought" to be protected under the civil rights law. Wonderful. Now people who support the traditional family are being scrutenized and bashed for their views. A little hypocritical in my opinion.

EPIC_FAIL, imcoolnotyou, niknik, Sharon
Old 07-28-2012, 05:01 AM
DeeMarieGK
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:73
A chick.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12915

Is this a surprise? Really? No clue about it when they do not open on Sundays?

Old 07-28-2012, 05:02 AM
DeeMarieGK
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:73
A chick.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12915

Nothing to the OP, of course. I knew it was a "faith based" company, is all.