Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss109
Re: Actor Paul Walker Killed in Car Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
It's not a stupidly designed fragile car, it's directly derived from a race car which was designed to withstand the second most demanding and testing race after the Nürburgring 24h, the Le Mans 24h.

Those bumps are in no way capable in unsettling the car -unless- you are driving the car in an unresponsible way for the roads. You guys have seen the usually red/white kerbs in the corners of a racetrack? The height of each kerb bump is about 10-15 cms high and are located 20-30 cms after another and driving the car the right way it manages those easily. It is a very stiff and very fast car and the owners know exactly what they were and how they behaved when they bought them.

If this isn't a mechanical failure, and I seriously doubt it is unless the car hasn't been maintained properly, the responsibility lies with the driver. Doesn't matter what car you're in, it's only you, and you alone, that can make it dangerous.
I agree. If the Botts' dots were to blame, it would only be partially so - and only because of the speed and/or angle that the car was in when it ran over them. The CGT was built for the track - the only reason why it was on the road is because a hand full of people with more money than skills wanted one of their own, so Porsche complied (and I might add that they were only able to do this for a very short amount of time before the DOT banned further imports in the U.S.)

Rodas and Walker were both experienced drivers and should have known better than to behave the way they did in a non-controlled environment, especially given the history of the model as well as the history of that particular unit.

And I would say that "mechanical failure" due to lack of proper maintenance would legally fall under "human/user error", thus blocking Porsche from any liability in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
Any car that cannot go over a speed bump is not the best thing to be running errands with.
No one was running errands with it. It was out for a car show/fundraising event, and they decided to take it for a spin, reportedly to see if anything was wrong with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to hckr_wolf For This Useful Post:
BBKF
Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 AM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:258
I need a nap =|
Contributions: 43

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3276

I'm talking about the design in general, not Walkers death crash.

BBKF, Kelseecat65
Old 12-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Avanti
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:5795

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelseecat65 View Post
I used the word fragile due to the following statement, supposedly issued by Porsche;

"This vehicle cannot drive over a Foster Beer can that is lying on its side. It will crush the can and damage the carbon fiber under panels," adding, "You need to be aware of what type of road surface you are on (dips, pot holes, seam heights, etc.)."

Perhaps I chose the wrong word, but that seems fragile to me...
Well, almost every supercar is that low or even lower and have carbon fiber panels. It's more about the owners being informed of the car's limits. It's like if VW would release information about that the Polo can't drive over a rock of a certain height without damaging the car.

The carbon fiber panels have their purpose of producing downforce and reducing drag under the car but if you're going to drive on the street you could remove them and it wouldn't make a difference. Not at legal speeds.

As for speed bumps, most supercars don't have any problems with them. You have to go slowly over them and sometimes the panels touch just a little bit when the bump is right under the car but it's ok, it won't do any proper damage. There are often certain lower points in the floor called skid blocks that can take some serious punishment and are the ones that tell you when you're touching anything.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avanti For This Useful Post:
BBKF, Kelseecat65
Old 12-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12567

The fact that the studio has already announced an 8th Fast movie is unreal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Kerri
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:877

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss530

If Porche knew all these restrictions, special instructions, and trainings of non race car driving employees were crucial, then why were these cars being marketed to the private sector? Its dangerous to be rich. Not as lethal as poverty tho.Walker seemed like a very nice guy. Handsome!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kerri For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Avanti
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:5795

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri View Post
If Porche knew all these restrictions, special instructions, and trainings of non race car driving employees were crucial, then why were these cars being marketed to the private sector?
Well why not? The car itself doesn't make it dangerous, the driver does. Handle a knife in a wrong way while cooking and you'll cut yourself. Is the knife dangerous or you?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Avanti For This Useful Post:
BBKF, diamondsmiles, hckr_wolf
Old 12-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Rfneimad
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1838

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss171

Some people can't keep a Corolla from crashing, leave the Porsche's alone!

The Following User Says Thank You to Rfneimad For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 12-13-2013, 08:40 PM
BBKF
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:654
Female

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss838

The bottom line is the driver was just going too fast. Sorry for this post...I wish I had been able to delete in entirety.

The Following User Says Thank You to BBKF For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 12-13-2013, 11:55 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

[QUOTE=hckr_wolf;4028001]The following is from TMZ, so take from it what you will:

Paul Walker Family Believes
Road Bumps Sealed His Fate

You beat me to it Just saw this!

Never saw any of the man's work. Now, people are saying he went out with a lot of 16 year olds.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12567

Of course the crash depends on the driver to big degree. But the fact that this car even came with warnings from Porsche about it's unpredictability with losing control, shows that the car was also a hazard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Kelseecat65