Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526
Acid Terrorism Victims Commits Suicide

Claire Cudahy
3/28/2012
Fakhra Yunus, a Pakistani woman and victim of “acid terrorism” nearly a decade ago, jumped to her death on March 17 from her apartment building in Italy, stirring the discussion on justice and female-rights in Pakistan.

According to The Telegraph, the 34-year-old former prostitute was allegedly attacked by her ex-husband Bilar Khar, the son of one of Pakistan’s most powerful families, who poured acid on her face and body, melting parts down to the bone.

Khar initially went into hiding after the attack, but was arrested in 2002. He was eventually acquitted after bail was posted for $4,000, causing speculation that he used his connections to escape jail-time or worse.

Yunus’ suicide came just weeks after Saving Face, a documentary on the horrors and injustices endured by female Pakistani acid victims, won an Oscar.

Though Yunus underwent 38 surgeries to reconstruct her face and repair wounds, she remained distraught over the loss of her beauty and the disfiguration she was left with.

The International News revealed that Yunus wrote a note before she jumped, explaining that her suicide was over the silence of law on the atrocities and insensitivity of Pakistani rulers.

Acid attacks have become increasingly common in parts of Asia, with more than 7,000 cases documented against women by the Progressive Women’s Association of Pakistan in just two towns between 1994 and 2008. Only two percent were successfully prosecuted, reports RadarOnline.

Yunus, who was shunned by disgust and contempt in her native Pakistan, found a friend in Tehmina Durrani, an activist and her attacker’s former stepmother. Durrani helped Yunus get to Italy, where the government provided free accommodation and she lived a much more peaceful existence.

"I think this whole country [Pakistan] should be extremely embarrassed that a foreign country took responsibility for a Pakistani citizen for 13 years because we could give her nothing, not justice, not security," said Durrani.

Yunus was laid to rest in Karachi on Sunday.

She was a beautiful woman. Before and after pictures may be seen here

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/victim-...ry?id=16011971

Old 03-29-2012, 05:18 PM
luton loyal
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:115

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8704
Re: Acid Terrorism Victims Commits Suicide

Old 03-29-2012, 06:13 PM
King Herald
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:389
Male

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1851

There is a documentary on one of the cable channels about this sort of thing this week. Horrific stuff, sick,and most of the guys go totally unpunished.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 PM
King Herald
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:389
Male

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1851

Here she is before/after the attack and operations.

The Following User Says Thank You to King Herald For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 05-06-2012, 02:34 PM
k_dub
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:285

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts