Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 10919 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25861
9-year-old Boy Mauled to Death by Three Pitbulls

Nine-year-old boy violently mauled to death by his sister's three pit bulls she called 'the wolf pack'

A nine-year-old boy in northern California was mauled to death while he was home alone by his half-sister's three pit bulls.

Alexandria Griffin-Heady, 24, left her half-brother, Tyler Griffin-Huston, 9, alone inside her Yuba County trailer to go to work Sunday.

A few hours later she returned home from her security guard shift and found the boy had been viciously attacked by the dogs. She called 911 and he was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

The three dogs, a mother and two offspring that Griffin-Heady had raised since they were puppies, have been seized and placed in an animal shelter, the Sacramento Bee reported.

Authorities say at least two of the dogs had the boy's blood all over them, Fox 40 Sacramento reported. The dogs, who have no history with Animal Care Services, will likely be euthanized.

Her neighbors said that she had just recently moved into the small trailer in Linda from Florida to better her life and eventually get her little brother out of the foster system.

Since his mother died of a drug overdose in 2011, the little boy had bounced around different foster homes and was also homeless at some points in time, CBS Sacramento reported.

At the time of his death, he was visiting his sister who was recently approved for overnight weekend visits with him by Child Protective Services.

'The only wish for Christmas was that he wanted to have a mom and I so badly wanted to be that person for him,' Griffin-Heady told Fox 40 Sacramento.

'I failed him, whether it's my fault, my dog's fault, whoever's fault, I wanted to protect him and give him an amazing life.'

When asked if she felt her dogs were dangerous, she said that 'never a day their life' did she feel that way.

'He loved them, he laid in the bed with them, he played with them, he wanted one of their puppies.'

Undersheriff Jerry Read told CBS Sacramento that Griffin-Heady may face child endangerment charges.

'I don't know. This one seems to have affected me most,' he told the television station. 'The child being home alone and just had to have been terrified of what took place.'

Her lawyer, Roberto Marquez, told the Sacramento Bee that criminal charges would be 'inappropriate for what was essentially an unpredictable tragedy.'

He added that she had no idea that her dogs would pose a threat.

'If she had any hint at all that these dogs had any propensity for violence, she would never have left her brother with them,' he told the newspaper.

'She raised them and cannot fathom what could have happened that caused them to attack a little boy.'

full story

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
2FD1219A00000578-3385611-image-a-45_1452011753077.jpg  

2FD0FE8200000578-3385611-image-m-43_1452011645984.jpg  

160105192952-california-boy-mauled-to-death-by-pitbulls-dnt-00000510-large-169.jpg  

tyler6n-4-web.jpg  

1468507_Still.jpg  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
Alydia, Azimuth, facing_reality, kellyhound
Old 01-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Oswald2001
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:99

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10534
Re: 9-year-old Boy Mauled to Death by Three Pitbulls

"Oh, they're very good around children."

Old 01-07-2016, 03:16 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
6/11 ssss61185

The so called "wolf pack" had a leader and that was her. Now moved to a new trailer aka territory she leaves the territory leaving them alone with a kid so one and one is two and shit happens.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:09 PM
facing_reality
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1029

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss406

I was going to make a joke about "inside her [...] trailer" & "The dogs [...] have no history with Animal Care Services," with something about poor white trash who didn't know anything about animals (BTW good analysis, kellyhound.)

But honestly, this one just makes me sad. This lady seems like she was just trying to do the best she could for her little brother.

The Following User Says Thank You to facing_reality For This Useful Post:
kellyhound
Old 01-07-2016, 04:42 PM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:364
Female

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2030

Yes, just like crackheads do the best they can for their children.

"Doing the best you can" does not, in any way, indicate competence.

Leaving dogs alone with a kid is never an ok thing to do.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:45 PM
niknik
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:68
Conservative OG

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 6771 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13673

Just another case that proves pit bulls are unpredictable.

I don't see why so many people want them. And I know a lot of people who do own them, and I don't care for any of their dogs.

I've never met or seen a pit that made me think "That's a really cool dog with a great personality".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niknik For This Useful Post:
Bletch, Oswald2001
Old 01-07-2016, 04:52 PM
niknik
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:68
Conservative OG

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 6771 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13673

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyCripple View Post

I wouldn't say all dogs, but I'd question anyone's judgment who left a kid with 3 pits.

She probably doesn't under dogs and their behavior. I bet these were aggressive dogs. Just maybe never towards a person

Although I doubt that's the case she probably just didn't know what to look for.

The Following User Says Thank You to niknik For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001
Old 01-07-2016, 05:08 PM
facing_reality
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1029

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss406

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyCripple View Post

Uhhh.... I know kids that are left alone with dogs all the time, and they're fine. Hell, I was one of them. Right now, there's a kid about this boy's age walking his dog.

Regarding pit-bulls specifically, I honestly have no opinion about the controversy of owning them. (I didn't know there was a controversy until I read people's opinions on this site.)

We had a Chow (they're very territorial & protective) & we knew she would bite strangers, so we kept a tight leash when she went outside. But to family members, she was fine. And once someone was around for a few years, she'd finally let them in "the pack."

It sounds like this boy wasn't familiar to the dogs.

There's also the possibility --- that no one's brought up --- that the boy spent the last two hours of his life poking those dogs with a stick. It wouldn't be the first time.

The Following User Says Thank You to facing_reality For This Useful Post:
CrunchyCripple
Old 01-07-2016, 06:20 PM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:364
Female

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2030

No child is 100% safe with any dog of any breed/mix.

Just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean that nothing will ever happen.

a 9 year old child is not 100% predictable in all situations and neither are dogs.

You cannot trust your dogs to act the same way, when they are alone, as when they are in your presence. If they don't have you to guide them, they may make some bad choices.

My dogs while growing up, would love on the neighbors - but did not act nearly as friendly when one of the family members was not present.

Hell, my older brother (around 20)who lived with us part time, tried to climb in the window and was not allowed, because the dog saw it as abnormal behavior. This dog loved him and was super friendly - when the rest of us were around. There was no one there to tell her that it was ok for my brother to be climbing through the window(doors were locked) - so she would have taken his leg off, had he not had the sense to realize that she meant business.

Needless to say, he parked his butt on the porch until we got home.

She was a Rottweiler/Boxer mix. He'd have been perfectly fine if he'd walked in through the front door - even with no one else home.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CrunchyCripple For This Useful Post:
Bletch, facing_reality, kellyhound, Raevynn
Old 01-08-2016, 12:17 AM
Raevynn
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2477
Female

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss106

Regardless of breed, the sister was negligent leaving anyone alone with her dogs.

I own a pitbull who was highly aggressive when we got her, but with good training she broke away from her aggression and is always complimented on her calm, sweet demeanor. That does not mean I will leave her alone with anyone she isn't familiar with. She's seven years old and has showed no aggression towards anyone in the last six+ years, but I'm aware of her capabilities, and don't trust anyone with her alone unless they've been around her since she was a puppy.

I currently live in a household with four other people and she has never showed a sign of aggression towards anyone. She will actually cower when she hurts someone while playing, and mope around for a while. She's a sweet heart, but I won't let her near a "stranger" without knowing I have some control over her if anything were to happen.

I can't say I "blame" the dogs. Pack mentality is going to kick in when their alpha is away, and being around any unfamiliar person is going to naturally make them uncomfortable. The dogs aren't going to see the boy as "a little brother" but a potential threat to them regardless of the boy's size. It's unfortunate such a tragic thing happened, four lives will end up being lost because one person's stupid actions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Raevynn For This Useful Post:
facing_reality