Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4223
9/11: US Warns of 'credible' Anniversary Threat

I really hope nothing happens.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14848962

Quote:
The US has warned of a "specific, credible threat" ahead of the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, possibly in New York or Washington DC.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the threat was "uncorroborated", but security would be boosted at bridges, tunnels and on public transport.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said spot checks in the New York subway would be more frequent in coming days.

President Obama called on the US to "redouble" anti-terror efforts.

US TV network ABC News reports that three individuals - one a US citizen - entered the US in August aiming to carry out a terror attack. There was no confirmation about whether this information was linked to the threat detailed by US officials.

A service marking the 10th anniversary of the terror attacks in which almost 3,000 people died will be held on the site of the World Trade Center on Sunday.

US President Barack Obama and former President George W Bush will attend the ceremony.

White House officials said the president, who spoke to Congress about a jobs plan on Thursday night, was briefed on the threat earlier in the day.

Continue reading the main story “Start QuoteAl-Qaeda has shown an interest in important dates and anniversaries. In this instance it is accurate that there is credible, specific but unconfirmed information”
End Quote Janet Fedarcyk FBI
Police chief's concern

Speaking at a news conference alongside Mr Bloomberg and Mr Kelly, the FBI Assistant Special Agent in Charge of the New York office, Janet Fedarcyk, confirmed the threat.

"Al-Qaeda has shown an interest in important dates and anniversaries. In this instance it is accurate that there is credible, specific but unconfirmed information," she said.

An anonymous counter-terrorism official told the Associated Press that authorities had been investigating the intelligence since it was received late on Wednesday.

Mayor Bloomberg told reporters the New York Police Department would be "deploying additional resources... some of which you will notice and some of which you will not".

These measures could include checking bags and additional security personnel on public transport.

In the days leading up to the anniversary Commissioner Kelly told the BBC he had concerns about a new threat.

"We are worried specifically about something happening on the anniversary of 9/11 because we saw on some of Bin Laden's materials that there was discussion about the 10 year anniversary, the 10 year memorial.

"There is no doubt that New York is safer now than it was 10 years ago, but there are no guarantees. We don't know what we don't know and we are doing everything that I believe we can do to protect the city, but it is a dangerous world," he added.

Officials noted that documents seized during the raid of Osama bin Laden's compound on 2 May 2011 in Abbottabad, Pakistan, showed the al-Qaeda leader was considering strikes to coincide with the anniversary.

The Following User Says Thank You to dan-b For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 09-09-2011, 04:36 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5491
Re: 9/11: US Warns of 'credible' Anniversary Threat

I hope nothing happens, the more 9/11/2011 gets close, the more i'm concerned: .
But in this case it looks like someone is just trying to safeguard himself in case something will really happen, so he can Say "See? I told you that something could happen". Honestly, I don't understand the point of potentially spreading panic over some generic threat. Since they have NO CLUE what could really happen, why do they leak such cryptic messages that won't sort any effect but sparking panic or just get ignored? It would have been more effective just to say: "let's wait and see what's going to happen". The terrorist so stupid to let you know when, where and how will strike you has yet to born.
An "anonymous counter-terrorism official": why "anonymous"? Isn't he supposed to make the people feel more comfortable? Isn't THAT his primary task? And if he doesn't feel comfortable enough himself to at least share his identity with the people that he's supposed to PROTECT, how TF does he hope to be taken seriously?

Old 09-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Subjugate
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:5458

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss28

To be honest, I doubt anything would happen. I think it's just hype and speculation.
Currently being in the military and seeing the heightened sense of security we're in seems like a way to get people all shaken up over nothing. Don't get me wrong, I PRAY nothing goes wrong, but it just seems..un-likley that we'll be hit again on 9/11, you know?

Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 AM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

I think it's all a big bluff, but better safe than sorry.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Jere
Offline:
blow me
Poster Rank:69
pillager

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13673

fuck'm

Old 09-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Eaton
Offline:
Eaton the Pooh
Poster Rank:52

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss17038

Oh no! Not another terrorist attack! Oh no!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:19 PM
hambone
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1063

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss384

I dont see why they go and announce it to the world... i mean do they expect the terrorists to stick with the original plan after this is spammed on every news channel? they would obviously just change tactics...stupid.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:42 AM
shoottokill
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT MAJOR
Poster Rank:209
roneluv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4221

They always give this type of warning approaching the anniversary of 9/11. Who knows though, anyone could possibly drive a truck full of explosives into NY and park it somewhere with a high volume of people in the vicinity. hope not

Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 AM
BryanXavier
Offline:
Fiscally Irresponsible
Poster Rank:72
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss13013

Stock market fell considerably today - lost $4,500. This due in part to the 10th anniversary I believe.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:26 AM
vnathan
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:56491
8=====>

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss0

Keeping the population scared and under control. First step to robbing freedoms.

The Following User Says Thank You to vnathan For This Useful Post:
scubahood