Go Back  

8-year-old Special Needs Student Shackled by a Deputy for Misbehaving in School 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 08-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615
Re: 8-year-old Special Needs Student Shackled by a Deputy for Misbehaving in Sc

No one knows what happened prior to this. Was the kid out of control, was he hitting others or himself, something happened prior to this to force the officer to this point.

This kid needs to be in a school or classroom for only special needs kids, where the teachers are there to deal with all types of different issues related to special needs kids. Normal classrooms are not the place for special needs kids to be disrupting the environment for all the other kids who are behaving and are there to learn.

If the kid was out of control - it's the teachers job to handle the situation (which my guess is she couldn't), get the kid to the principal's office and call the parents.

Not knowing the full story, it's hard to pick a side on this, but if that kid was out of control, hitting people, throwing items around and a potential harm to others or himself, then I say the officer did the right thing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
K9Grip, morbid75
Old 08-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

You also can't help but wonder to what degree parental discipline -- or a lack thereof -- contributes to the misbehavior of unruly kids, special needs or otherwise.

Doctors are all too happy to overdiagnose and medicate disorders like ADHD, and lazy-ass parents are all too happy to fool themselves into thinking that pills will raise their kids for them.

Just the simple fact that the parents are seeking monetary damages from the officer is enough to make me skeptical.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Metal Mike For This Useful Post:
K9Grip, Kelseecat65, morbid75, winvens
Old 08-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mike View Post
You also can't help but wonder to what degree parental discipline -- or a lack thereof -- contributes to the misbehavior of unruly kids, special needs or otherwise.

Doctors are all too happy to overdiagnose and medicate disorders like ADHD, and lazy-ass parents are all too happy to fool themselves into thinking that pills will raise their kids for them.

Just the simple fact that the parents are seeking monetary damages from the officer is enough to make me skeptical.
I agree. Parents cannot just sent their unruly kids to school and expect the world to fix their problems. Any parent this sue happy is not concerned about the issue at hand, THEIR child's behavior. Get him in for therapy, do something proactive so the kid won't be such a disruption to the class, and a potential harm to others and himself.

rapeWhistle, winvens
Old 08-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelseecat65 View Post
I agree. Parents cannot just sent their unruly kids to school and expect the world to fix their problems. Any parent this sue happy is not concerned about the issue at hand, THEIR child's behavior. Get him in for therapy, do something proactive so the kid won't be such a disruption to the class, and a potential harm to others and himself.
Honestly, I would have just tried to get the officer suspended by discussing the matter with his supervisor.

Everyone is so quick to go public and lawyer up these days. Going public first eliminates a lot of leverage that can be applied down the line should the aggrieving party prove initially uncooperative or unconcerned. Same with lawyering up: it should be a next step, if necessary, not the first.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Azimuth
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:33
Woman

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss23376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelseecat65 View Post
No one knows what happened prior to this. Was the kid out of control, was he hitting others or himself, something happened prior to this to force the officer to this point.

This kid needs to be in a school or classroom for only special needs kids, where the teachers are there to deal with all types of different issues related to special needs kids. Normal classrooms are not the place for special needs kids to be disrupting the environment for all the other kids who are behaving and are there to learn.

If the kid was out of control - it's the teachers job to handle the situation (which my guess is she couldn't), get the kid to the principal's office and call the parents.

Not knowing the full story, it's hard to pick a side on this, but if that kid was out of control, hitting people, throwing items around and a potential harm to others or himself, then I say the officer did the right thing.
I don't think it really matters what happened prior to this. He is eight years old and tiny, I really doubt he was doing a whole lot of violence in the classroom.

No matter what he was doing, I don't think forcing his arms behind his back and handcuffing him above the elbows, causing pain, was right. How can you possibly side with that, especially as a mother of a son? Even if he was throwing erasers around or whatever.

LUXpiNk
Old 08-06-2015, 05:16 PM
spudigitti
Offline:
His Royal Highness
Poster Rank:70
male

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4706 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
19/20 5/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss13320

Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 PM
sherrimccharles
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:600

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss948

Omg that kid is like 3 an a half foot tall. I couldn't watch but for 4 seconds of this. They called the cops before calling the parents? They are teachers in a school who took him in, knowing he has problems. He had an outburst, or a tantrum. A little kid who had a shit fit, so they called the cops. It doesn't seem right. Aren't the teachers supposed to be trained for shit like that?
I worked in the special area of my high school kinda like for other credits. We had a student who was 6 foot tall native, fucking scary. Try having that in your face having a "tantrum". We didn't have that option to call the cops every time somebody had a fit. Theres a padded room and when it subsides, they come out and talk about it. Its way more effective. What a waste of money and resources. Shame on that school. For fucking shame

The Following User Says Thank You to sherrimccharles For This Useful Post:
tbone79
Old 08-06-2015, 09:58 PM
rapeWhistle
Offline:
Hand of the King
Poster Rank:15
Standing by...
Contributions: 53

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 21618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40871

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhound View Post

i'm not sure i'd have the patience to deal with an aging pig.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:00 PM
rapeWhistle
Offline:
Hand of the King
Poster Rank:15
Standing by...
Contributions: 53

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 21618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40871

The only thing that kid is in 'special need' of is an ass whoopin'..!!!

i'm not sure i'd have the patience to deal with an aging pig.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rapeWhistle For This Useful Post:
K9Grip, Kelseecat65, Metal Mike
Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
I don't think it really matters what happened prior to this. He is eight years old and tiny, I really doubt he was doing a whole lot of violence in the classroom.

No matter what he was doing, I don't think forcing his arms behind his back and handcuffing him above the elbows, causing pain, was right. How can you possibly side with that, especially as a mother of a son? Even if he was throwing erasers around or whatever.
If he was out of control at what point does someone intervene? We don't know if he hit another student, or tossed a desk at someone - at what point does a teacher, Principal or SRO restrain him to prevent things getting out of control? How do they do that without violating rules, in most schools, Teachers are not supposed to lay hands on students.

If this kid was being mouthy, then I don't agree with cuffing him.

If this kid was a danger to himself or others and no one was verbally able to calm him, then cuffing him might have been necessary.

I'm very curious about the back story on this.

K9Grip, winvens