Go Back  

8-year-old Special Needs Student Shackled by a Deputy for Misbehaving in School 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 08-04-2015, 08:00 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 20/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss61188
8-year-old Special Needs Student Shackled by a Deputy for Misbehaving in School

Quote:
COVINGTON, KY A shocking video shows how a third-grader in public school, who suffered from ADHD and other special needs, was shackled above his elbows by a police officer as he writhed and screamed in agony.

“Now you can either behave the way you know you’re supposed to, or you can suffer the consequences,” Kenton County Deputy Sheriff Kevin Sumner said as he stared down at the sobbing boy.

The boy, age 8, is identified only as S.R. in a federal lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, the Children’s Law Center, and Dinsmore & Shohl. A second victim, a 9-year-old girl identified as L.G., faced similar treatment by the same school resource officer.

The lawsuit alleges that the two child victims were so small that the deputy locked the handcuffs around their biceps and forced their hands behind their backs. L.G. faced this treatment on two occasions.

Both children were being punished for behavior related to their disabilities, including attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), a history of trauma, and other special needs. Neither was arrested nor charged with any criminal conduct.

“Shackling children is not okay. It is traumatizing, and in this case it is also illegal,” said Susan Mizner, disability counsel for the ACLU. “Using law enforcement to discipline students with disabilities only serves to traumatize children. It makes behavioral issues worse and interferes with the school’s role in developing appropriate educational and behavioral plans for them.”

According to the ACLU:

Nationally, students with disabilities make up 12 percent of students in public schools, but are 75 percent of the students who are physically restrained by adults in their schools, according to the U.S. Department of Education.

These disciplinary practices also feed into the “school-to-prison pipeline,” where children are funneled out of public schools and into the criminal justice system.

Many of these children have disabilities, yet instead of receiving necessary educational and counseling services, they are often punished and pushed out.

In both cases, Sumner was the school resource officer who handcuffed the children.

The lawsuit seeks an order requiring a change in policies by the Kenton County Sheriff’s Office, and additional training for school resource officers in dealing with young children and children with special needs. It also seeks an unspecified amount of monetary damages against Sumner.

Government schools are have become known for controversial treatment of special-needs children.

In a story previously covered, young children who misbehaved at school were locked in padded cells known as “isolation booths” — some no bigger than a broom closet.

The lawsuit seeks a court order to require a policy change by the Kenton County Sheriff’s Office, and additional training for school resource officers in dealing with young children and children with special needs — in a way that is not “harmful and unnecessary.”
http://www.policestateusa.com/2015/c...er-handcuffed/

Something went wrong, try refreshing the page...

Picture and Video Clip Stats.
File Type: mp4 8yo.mp4(40.47 MB, 75 views)
Old 08-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Azimuth
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:33
Woman

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss23376
Re: 8-year-old Special Needs Student Shackled by a Deputy for Misbehaving in Sc

That fat fuck would have at least one bullet hole through the roof of his mouth within two minutes of my discovering that scene.

gatagato, icheerthebull, rob666, tbone79, winvens
Old 08-04-2015, 09:17 AM
winvens
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:125
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 4341 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8054

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
That fat fuck would have at least one bullet hole through the roof of his mouth within two minutes of my discovering that scene.
I'd be slashing his liver in one minute, myself. Piece of shit.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to winvens For This Useful Post:
icheerthebull, rob666, tbone79
Old 08-04-2015, 12:48 PM
BryanXavier
Offline:
Fiscally Irresponsible
Poster Rank:72
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
12/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss12987

Ladies, I know this won't curry your favor but all I saw was a crying kid. To me the cop wasn't being evil but has about as much idea as me as to how to handle disabled kids. Major retraining needed but, like I said, he has as much clue as me to handle ADHD kids.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:35 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanXavier View Post
Ladies, I know this won't curry your favor but all I saw was a crying kid. To me the cop wasn't being evil but has about as much idea as me as to how to handle disabled kids. Major retraining needed but, like I said, he has as much clue as me to handle ADHD kids.
The cop has no idea how to handle the situation, thus the lawsuits.

It might not be the cops fault that he doesn't know what he's doing, but ignorance isn't a defence either.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
Arkoquisa, Azimuth, BryanXavier, kellyhound, Top Gear, winvens, woodsetton
Old 08-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

Shackles don't qualify as a special need? News to me.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:45 PM
tbone79
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:469
I pee standing up....

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1370

Those cuffs were so small , his elbows were almost touching together. I agree, he probably has as much experience with disabled kids as a monkey does with algebra, but that doesn't make it right. If you work with children , you should have mandatory training for most any scenario you could run across while doing your job. Thankfully , the boy doesn't appear to be injured.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tbone79 For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, kellyhound, Paupercool1, winvens
Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Azimuth
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:33
Woman

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss23376

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone79 View Post
Those cuffs were so small , his elbows were almost touching together. I agree, he probably has as much experience with disabled kids as a monkey does with algebra, but that doesn't make it right. If you work with children , you should have mandatory training for most any scenario you could run across while doing your job. Thankfully , the boy doesn't appear to be injured.
I love you.
Handcuffs are kind of painful on their best day, when they're used properly on a calm adult human.

WHo honestly could feign innocence or ignorance about the treatment of this tiny fucking kid??

And I guarantee that retard, as a school resource officer, has had training dealing with children. CHILDREN!!!! Who are not tiny adults! Fuck, this just infuriates me.

I sincerely hope this turd doesn't breed.

Paupercool1, tbone79
Old 08-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566

That's not right, that had to hurt his arms.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, Paupercool1, tbone79
Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 AM
aaargh
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:335

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 3/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2258

Cops don't understand, they believe in "control the situation". The cop was probably angry that the kid wouldn't obey him, the idea that the child couldn't obey, has special needs, never punctured the shit and blood caked force field of COP in the pigs mind.