Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526
7 Year Old Special Needs Student Locked in Cage at Elementary School

By Hannah Furfaro
The Fresno Bee

November 7, 2014

A 7 year old Fresno Unified School District special education student was allegedly locked in a makeshift cage by her Viking Elementary first grade teacher last school year, according to two claims filed against the teacher and school administrators in mid-October.

Parent, Ledelldra Brooks, says she discovered the alleged abuse in late May, when she made an unannounced visit to the east central school and found her daughter in the cage, wearing a soiled diaper. Brooks called the police, hired a lawyer and is now submitting the claims, which is a prerequisite to filing a lawsuit.

Fresno Unified’s school board will take up the matter next week.

Internal district emails, obtained by Brooks’ attorney through a public records request, show school officials acted swiftly to enroll the child at a new elementary school.

The Viking teacher, Teresa MonPere, was immediately put on administrative leave, emails from administrators and special education employees show. MonPere confirmed in an interview Friday she now works at Addicott Elementary but declined to comment further. District spokeswoman, Micheline Golden, said Friday that Viking principal, Christie Yang, and Cheryl Hunt, assistant superintendent for special education, would not be allowed to comment.

“We take these situations very seriously,” Golden said. “We conducted a thorough investigation consistent with our personnel procedures. I can’t share any outcome of that investigation because it is a personnel issue.”

After learning about the allegation, the district searched classrooms at most of its schools for any similar enclosures.

“Fresno Unified is committed to providing the best education possible for our special education students and being their advocates,” Golden said. She was unable to discuss whether any other cages were found or whether any training has been instituted.

A lengthy log of internal emails show school officials, including Superintendent Michael Hanson and Trustee Carol Mills, identified the allegation as a serious matter.

Mills wrote an email to Hanson as soon as she learned of the alleged incident, saying, “It seems there is a need for more training for special ed aides — on how to handle the students and on their rights and responsibilities.” Mills said she was grocery shopping when she found out about the event. She ran into a district employee who shared the news and told her about similar allegations at other schools.

“I forwarded it to the superintendent immediately so he could look into it,” she said Friday.

Hanson then asked Hunt to find out more.

Brooks says she still has concerns.

“I honestly want the public to know what’s going on behind special education, what went on in my daughter’s class,” she said Thursday.

Her daughter, who is intellectually disabled and has a seizure disorder, was allegedly found on May 27, isolated from her classmates in a locked enclosure made from a toddler gate and a crib gate attached to bookshelves. The girl was one of seven special needs students in the class, a teacher’s aide told police.

Brooks immediately took her daughter out of class, called the principal with her concerns and alerted police.

Investigators responded, the police report from that day shows, and they found and dismantled the enclosure and interviewed MonPere’s classroom aides, the principal and Brooks. Police declined to provide the report because the girl is a minor, but, Brooks’ lawyer obtained a copy and provided it to The Bee.

Police Lt. Joe Gomez said the inquiry was forwarded to the Fresno County District Attorney’s Office as a potential misdemeanor child abuse. No charges have been filed and no one has been arrested, he said. Kathy Ochinero, administrative secretary for the DA’s office, could not provide additional details, but the police report shows the DA’s office didn’t file charges because ,“there did not appear to be any intent and therefore no child abuse would have occurred.”

The district’s special education program has faced criticism from parents in the past. School officials were most recently entangled in litigation with the mother of a former Duncan Polytechnical High student who had special needs and wanted to remain at Duncan.

The police report sheds some light on the Viking School allegations.

Two teachers aides interviewed by police said the special needs children were put in the gated area only when they were out of control or posed a risk to themselves and classmates, but, the enclosure was not used for punishment.

On the day Brooks discovered her daughter there, the aides said, she had been disruptive in class. She’d also scratched one of the aides, they said.

Yang, the principal, told police the enclosure, which was installed about three years ago, was merely a safety precaution. She didn’t know how often it was used, but said she’d witnessed children inside before.

At the time, MonPere declined to talk to police and said she was seeking representation through the Fresno Teachers Association union. FTA President, Tish Rice declined to comment this week.

Brooks’ attorney, Peter Alfert, said school officials should have known better, especially since district policies and state law forbid teachers from using locked, secluded areas for punishment or any other reason.

Alfert pointed to a memo in one of the district emails, which says staff can restrain children or put them in a timeout during a violent outburst or other crisis. But, isolating a youngster in a locked room or other area is prohibited, it says.

He said the girl could suffer, “long-lasting effects.” According to the claim, she’s developed fears of being alone and being behind closed doors. Emails show school officials offered the girl counseling shortly after the incident.

Special education expert Joe Bowling said using a locked enclosure for any student is “totally inappropriate.”

“This is not something I would put a child into and claim this is for their own protection. It’s a cage, this is what you would put a wild animal in,” said Bowling, executive director for the regional board of the California State Council on Developmental Disabilities.

Bowling said there are best practices for calming students with special needs. Holding a student from behind in a bear hug is one way to deal with an outburst, he said.

“Obviously there are people in the district that need training,” he said. “I can’t believe that somebody, an administrator walking in that room and seeing it, would allow that.”

Photo Coutesy of Ledelldra Brooks

A 7 year old Fresno Unified School District special education student was allegedly locked in this enclosure made from a toddler gate and a crib gate attached to bookshelves at Viking Elementary School. It was dismantled by police in May.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
cage.jpeg  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
30564U, Pyramid_Head
Old 11-15-2014, 04:51 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566
Re: 7 Year Old Special Needs Student Locked in Cage at Elementary School

I hope they get their asses destroyed in court.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
30564U, winvens
Old 11-15-2014, 09:07 AM
MrCorpse
*DR's nice guy*
Poster Rank:44
Male

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 6872 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss19088

Retards should not share a school with normal students, I feel sorry for the teacher trying to make the most of a difficult situation.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrCorpse For This Useful Post:
30564U
Old 11-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

She is 7 years old, has severe issues and wears a diaper. She should not be in a regular classroom.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
30564U
Old 11-15-2014, 01:51 PM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:364
Female

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2030

It sounds like she was in a special-Ed class, not a regular one.

If the kid is violent and a danger to others, you call the parents and tell them to get their kid out of there. That's not the right kind of kid(violent outbursts) for a class room environment. That's a one on one situation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrunchyCripple For This Useful Post:
Kelseecat65, winvens
Old 11-15-2014, 02:00 PM
TheVrist
Offline:
😉
Poster Rank:88
dude
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4573 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11707

What is the big deal? At that age, that right there is one bad ass fort! Bet the other kids was jealous.

Kelseecat65
Old 11-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyCripple View Post
It sounds like she was in a special-Ed class, not a regular one.

If the kid is violent and a danger to others, you call the parents and tell them to get their kid out of there. That's not the right kind of kid(violent outbursts) for a class room environment. That's a one on one situation.
It said she was one of 7 special needs kids in that classroom...you're probably right. For some reason I thought it was a mixture of kids.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:44 AM
GregK
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:313
male

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2473

My moms a spec ed teacher and deals with some really fucked up cases. This kid doesn't belong in a mainstream learning environment in any sense, that being said I can kinda understand the intentions of the teacher but still.. Fucked.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GregK For This Useful Post:
CrunchyCripple, swheaton, winvens