Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss12986
Re: 60 Minutes Crew Attacked in Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by a175 View Post
Flint was an absolutely avoidable nightmare. Detroit is actually doing ok... well at least the ones with money are.
There's enough money to spend on idiotic projects. I think was actually using our water initially. It's when they tried going solo that folks started getting sick.
Don't we have the best goddamn water?

Shit - I've been all around this great big world and I've drank all kinds of tap.

Yeah but I couldn't wait to be near the Great Lakes where the best drinking water's at.

a175
Old 03-25-2016, 12:09 AM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Leave Detroit out of this
At least we have good water... for now
Dude...... I watch videos on YouTube of guys going through the abandoned sections, the car plants, the high rises downtown........ Nothing personal, but I think it's no place for me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
a175, winvens
Old 03-25-2016, 12:49 AM
a175
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:435

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1534

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
Dude...... I watch videos on YouTube of guys going through the abandoned sections, the car plants, the high rises downtown........ Nothing personal, but I think it's no place for me
Quite a bit of urban blight, which means cushy contracts for the mayor's pals.

Tons of new construction. Downtown is pretty decent now, same for part of Midtown. I pretty much stay in those parts or head to Dearborn and Dearborn Heights. Dearborn is one of those town where you get more problems from outsiders like Terry Jones than you do with actual residents. I might wind up moving there.

Detroit, on the other hand... well it can get pretty nuts. I live almost at the edge of Downtown and Midtown in an area where rent is month-to-month due to some nearby construction.

I'm not really that optimistic. It's "coming back", but in the same way New Orleans is... meaning not for everybody. Rent is much, much higher than you would expect around here. The economic divide is pretty stark as it is. You're either shopping at a thrift store or splurging on a $300 sweater at a boutique. There's not much middle ground, and I predict it widening even more as new properties are developed and more businesses come to town.

It's definitely a place, where I am anyway, that you don't want to be lazy. In all honesty, I feel like the military was a good primer for prison and prison was a good primer for Detroit.
That being said, attitude and presentation seem to make a difference. If you're not comfortable around homeless people, I'd say this is certainly not a place you'd want to stay... which is ironic considering how many empty buildings there are.

Oh. And car insurance is absolute murder.

But, yeah... at least the tap water is ok.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a175 For This Useful Post:
Pink., rob666, winvens
Old 03-25-2016, 01:27 AM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
Poster Rank:8
female

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 9043 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

You would think that Detroit would have more to offer than, say New Orleans, where there is literally no place for the homeless to live, even IF they were given a hand up. New Orleans has a few (relativel to south texas) petroleum industry professional jobs, but most of it is restaurant and tourism industry driven. There is the very small Michoud Industrial district (FEW NASA jobs) avondale Industries is gone, and the Port of Orleans is pretty much a Closed society. Not much to offer here.

detroit seems to at least have more diversity when it comes to employment areas.

a175
Old 03-25-2016, 02:00 AM
a175
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1534

I haven't really scoped out the job market, but I always see "now hiring" signs. I think alot of it has to do with legitimately crazy people. I've been to alot of weird places, but I've never seen so many weird people in one location. I'm not just talking about people mumbling to themselves. I mean wearing nothing but long underwear and humping a street sign kind of crazy.
It looks like somebody just open the doors to the insane asylum and let everybody loose... which might not be that far from the truth.
There are a few shelters around, but there's no way they can hold everybody.

How long it's been this way, I have no idea. I think Bryan is in a better position to say that.

It does seem strange to have so many empty buildings and so many homeless people, but like I said rent in certain areas is higher than you'd expect.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a175 For This Useful Post:
BryanXavier, rob666
Old 03-25-2016, 02:08 AM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
Poster Rank:8
female

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 9043 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

Quote:
I haven't really scoped out the job market, but I always see "now hiring" signs. I think alot of it has to do with legitimately crazy people. I've been to alot of weird places, but I've never seen so many weird people in one location. I'm not just talking about people mumbling to themselves. I mean wearing nothing but long underwear and humping a street sign kind of crazy.
It looks like somebody just open the doors to the insane asylum and let everybody loose... which might not be that far from the truth.
There are a few shelters around, but there's no way they can hold everybody.

How long it's been this way, I have no idea. I think Bryan is in a better position to say that.

It does seem strange to have so many empty buildings and so many homeless people, but like I said rent in certain areas is higher than you'd expect.
If these people are certifiably nuts, then property owners would be in the know about any trends....such as whether or not tthere were "budget cuts" in mental health care resulting in that kind of a bump in their populations. I know that when there are changes in our local prison system we know about it and adjust our rental checks. for instance, we use a service to keep track of sex offenders so that we dont violate any zoning laws (schools, daycares, etc) thats jsut an example. I dont work in the day to day rental business as do others in the family.

the thing is, everybody needs a place to live, and if the community doesnt try to assist as many people as possible without endangering ourselves or anybody else, then we are endangering more people by forcing people to be homeless.

a175
Old 03-25-2016, 02:44 AM
a175
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink. View Post
If these people are certifiably nuts, then property owners would be in the know about any trends....such as whether or not tthere were "budget cuts" in mental health care resulting in that kind of a bump in their populations. I know that when there are changes in our local prison system we know about it and adjust our rental checks. for instance, we use a service to keep track of sex offenders so that we dont violate any zoning laws (schools, daycares, etc) thats jsut an example. I dont work in the day to day rental business as do others in the family.

the thing is, everybody needs a place to live, and if the community doesnt try to assist as many people as possible without endangering ourselves or anybody else, then we are endangering more people by forcing people to be homeless.
Everybody needs a place to live.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a175 For This Useful Post:
Pink., winvens
Old 03-25-2016, 08:34 PM
Eggs&Spam
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:2945

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 3/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss79

These progressive politicos who run things don't live in these areas. The ghettos are where the freeloaders hang and they don't want to assimilate or be productive members of society. They attack this news crew for crying out loud

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggs&Spam For This Useful Post:
Bletch, Oswald2001