Go Back  

5-year-old Boy Accidentally Shoots, Kills 2-year-old Sister in Cumberland County (Ky) 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Impotent Rage
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:916
Contributions: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss490
Re: 5-year-old Boy Accidentally Shoots, Kills 2-year-old Sister in Cumberland County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda444 View Post
no reason i (as a gun owner who does take the right measures to keep my gun safe) should be punished just because these douches chose not to keep their children safe.
I would agree with you, if I agreed that removing guns from general circulation amounted to punishment. We've been through all this before though, haven't we?

It's easy for me in a "gunless" country to see guns as an anachronism, surplus to requirements.

Guns are as normal to you as cameras or motorbikes, so it would be a punishment to withdraw them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Impotent Rage For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Kanda444, PrettyHateMachine
Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49337
Re: 5-year-old Boy Accidentally Shoots, Kills 2-year-old Sister in Cumberland County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impotent Rage View Post
I would agree with you, if I agreed that removing guns from general circulation amounted to punishment. We've been through all this before though, haven't we?

It's easy for me in a "gunless" country to see guns as an anachronism, surplus to requirements.

Guns are as normal to you as cameras or motorbikes, so it would be a punishment to withdraw them.
yeah, i think you and i have talked about this before... and i agree. it's easy for me to see guns as common place and something that is easy to keep safe but that's because i grew up around them. had i not been exposed to guns at a young age, im sure my opinion would be different.

my father in law is a cop... my wife used to go shooting with him a lot when she was younger and she loves guns. my sister in law didnt like her dad when she was younger and would refuse to go shooting with him ever... not surprisingly, she hates guns.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Impotent Rage
Offline:

Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss490

Quote:
it's easy for me to see guns as common place and something that is easy to keep safe but that's because i grew up around them.
I wonder if you remember, I'm an ex gun owner. My Dad taught me how to shoot and drilled gun safety into me. We gave up our guns as the legislation in the UK ramped up. I was too young to feel aggrieved by it and still had air rifles until fairly recently (they'll be licensed soon, so I decided not to bother keeping them).

In short, I suppose it's a cultural difference as well as a practical one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Impotent Rage For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
Old 05-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?

Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impotent Rage View Post
I wonder if you remember, I'm an ex gun owner. My Dad taught me how to shoot and drilled gun safety into me. We gave up our guns as the legislation in the UK ramped up. I was too young to feel aggrieved by it and still had air rifles until fairly recently (they'll be licensed soon, so I decided not to bother keeping them).

In short, I suppose it's a cultural difference as well as a practical one.
do you ever wish you had them back? not for safety reasons but did you enjoy using them?

just wondering, it's not a loaded question or anything.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
it's not a loaded question or anything.
Ba ha ha! You said loaded.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Kanda444, PrettyHateMachine
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?

Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
Ba ha ha! You said loaded.
no pun intended

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kanda444 For This Useful Post:
Megamel29, PrettyHateMachine
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 PM
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2210
Female
Contributions: 11

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss128

Quote:
yeah, i think you and i have talked about this before... and i agree. it's easy for me to see guns as common place and something that is easy to keep safe but that's because i grew up around them. had i not been exposed to guns at a young age, im sure my opinion would be different.

my father in law is a cop... my wife used to go shooting with him a lot when she was younger and she loves guns. my sister in law didnt like her dad when she was younger and would refuse to go shooting with him ever... not surprisingly, she hates guns.
I actually grew up in a household where both of my parents didn't like guns. I was scared of guns. If I were to see one, I'd become extremely anxious. Then in my teen years, a lot more FPS games were starting to come out and become very popular. I really didn't care until a friend of mine basically begged me to try out Call of Duty(The original along with United Offensive explansion). I honestly only bought the game to shut my friend up, but ended up getting hooked. That's where my fascination with guns started. The game being a WWII era game, I started researching WWII guns.

Not long after being introduced to the game, I handled my first gun. It was a small shotgun. My now ex boyfriend and his family liked going to the shooting range and asked me to come along. They were shooting clay birds, and since I had never handled a firearm before, it was assumed I was going to be pretty awful.
Surprisingly I wasn't. Managed to hit all the targets and I had a lot of fun. Handling the gun seemed to come naturally to me.. Anyway

The point I'm trying to make here is, yes, a persons upbringing can affect their opinions and how they see things. But, that isn't always the case. It also depends on how open - minded they are as well. Allowing themselves to hear different views instead of just shutting them out and only believing what they were taught.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrettyHateMachine For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Kanda444
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?

Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49337

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I actually grew up in a household where both of my parents didn't like guns. I was scared of guns. If I were to see one, I'd become extremely anxious. Then in my teen years, a lot more FPS games were starting to come out and become very popular. I really didn't care until a friend of mine basically begged me to try out Call of Duty(The original along with United Offensive explansion). I honestly only bought the game to shut my friend up, but ended up getting hooked. That's where my fascination with guns started. The game being a WWII era game, I started researching WWII guns.

Not long after being introduced to the game, I handled my first gun. It was a small shotgun. My now ex boyfriend and his family liked going to the shooting range and asked me to come along. They were shooting clay birds, and since I had never handled a firearm before, it was assumed I was going to be pretty awful.
Surprisingly I wasn't. Managed to hit all the targets and I had a lot of fun. Handling the gun seemed to come naturally to me.. Anyway

The point I'm trying to make here is, yes, a persons upbringing can affect their opinions and how they see things. But, that isn't always the case. It also depends on how open - minded they are as well. Allowing themselves to hear different views instead of just shutting them out and only believing what they were taught.
i agree. im not saying that a person's upbringing is the deciding factor on whether or not they like guns... just saying that it, in some cases, seems to be a contributing factor.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Impotent Rage
Offline:

Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss490

Quote:
do you ever wish you had them back? not for safety reasons but did you enjoy using them?
I'd say "wish" is too strong a word. I enjoyed shooting and given the chance I'd do it again.

Looking back, I remember travelling far afield to get dum dums, saving for scopes and stuff. I suppose I was fairly enthusiastic about my guns.

I would be terrified if guns were commonplace in the UK. I know too many people who are lethally wreckless. I can think of one right now who I know would accrue a large collection of guns if they were available. He's a career criminal, car thief and absolute moron. Let him get his hands on a gun and he'll set up targets beside a public footpath; I have no doubt he'd do that and I can guarantee there are loads like him.

If I have to give up my guns so people like him can't get them then I'm happy with that. You can't outlaw stupidity so you have to restrict anything enables lethal consequences of it.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566

Who the fuck buys a gun for a 5 year old?