Go Back  

5-year-old Boy Accidentally Shoots, Kills 2-year-old Sister in Cumberland County (Ky) 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5488
5-year-old Boy Accidentally Shoots, Kills 2-year-old Sister in Cumberland County (Ky)

Quote:
A 5-year-old boy who was playing with a .22-caliber rifle accidentally shot and killed his 2-year-old sister in Cumberland County on Tuesday afternoon, according to a news release from the state police.The shooting happened just after 1 p.m. at a home on Lawson's Bottom Road. The 2-year-old was taken to Cumberland County Hospital, where she was later pronounced dead. An autopsy has been scheduled for Wednesday.Cumberland County Coroner Gary White identified the girl as Caroline Starks.He said the children's mother was at home when the shooting occurred, and the gun was a gift the boy received last year."It's a Crickett," he said. "It's a little rifle for a kid. ...The little boy's used to shooting the little gun."White said the gun was kept in a corner, and the family did not realize a shell had been left in it.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/04/30/2...#storylink=cpy
Mother Stepped Away Just Before Fatal Ky. Shooting
Quote:
A southern Kentucky coroner says the mother of a 5-year-old boy who fatally shot his 2-year-old sister had just stepped away onto the porch when the shooting occurred.

Cumberland County Coroner Gary White tells WKYT-TV that the mother said she had been outside on a porch for "no more than three minutes."

Kentucky State Police say the girl was shot Tuesday afternoon in Cumberland County and was later pronounced dead.

Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told the Lexington Herald-Leader the boy received the .22-caliber rifle as a gift and is used to shooting it. He said the rifle was kept in a corner and the family didn't realize a shell was left inside it.

White says the shooting will be ruled accidental. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/A...205475571.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/p...illed-19079010

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Kanda444, kellyhound, Megamel29, Pyramid_Head
Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Impotent Rage
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:916
Contributions: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss490
Re: 5-year-old Boy Accidentally Shoots, Kills 2-year-old Sister in Cumberland County

Guns are an essential item that belong in every household. Sometimes accidents happen; had it not been the gun, it could have been a pillow or a banana.

Remember, guns don't kill people - pressure cookers kill people. Stay safe people.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20133 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49373
Re: 5-year-old Boy Accidentally Shoots, Kills 2-year-old Sister in Cumberland County

why was the gun loaded and out!? why was it not safety checked and locked up!? ffs...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kanda444 For This Useful Post:
gatagato, kellyhound, Megamel29
Old 05-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Impotent Rage
Offline:

Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda444 View Post
why was the gun loaded and out!? why was it not safety checked and locked up!? ffs...
Hey, chill. It's just an accident. The family said they "didn't realize [sic]".

Haven't you ever made a mistake before? It's almost as if the media is trying twist this to make guns look bad.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Impotent Rage For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Kanda444, peema
Old 05-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

If he knows how to use the gun and is used to it how did he accidentally aim it at his sister and fire?

It shouldn't have been left out and it certainly shouldn't have been loaded.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
Old 05-01-2013, 04:57 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
6/11 ssss61185

Quote:
Caroline Starks' death comes in the wake of two other incidents in recent months involving young children shooting others. In early April, a 4-year-old boy in Tennessee shot and killed a 48-year-old woman, and just days later, 6-year-old Brandon Holt was killed in New Jersey after being shot in the head by his 4-year-old playmate.
too many stupid parents around.how can they forget to check a rifle, standing open in a corner, for a bullet.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Flaka
Offline:
Tuya
Poster Rank:19

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss37570

Old 05-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?

Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impotent Rage View Post
Hey, chill. It's just an accident. The family said they "didn't realize [sic]".

Haven't you ever made a mistake before? It's almost as if the media is trying twist this to make guns look bad.
of course i've made mistakes...but never one that cost my child their life.... and i've never once left one of my firearms unlocked when they weren't on my person... and if they are locked, they have to be safety checked first (or the lock doesnt work). guns are dangerous tools... they shouldnt be banned or regulated more but they need to be treated with respect. i've said it a lot but there is no room for complacency in gun ownership.

gatagato, Impotent Rage, Megamel29
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Impotent Rage
Offline:

Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda444 View Post
guns are dangerous tools... they shouldnt be banned or regulated more but they need to be treated with respect.
That's the whole point! I wouldn't trust people to treat them with respect, therefore, they should either be banned or licensed as restrictively as possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to Impotent Rage For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
The Following Users Disliked This Post By Impotent Rage:
Alchemistry
Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?

Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impotent Rage View Post
That's the whole point! I wouldn't trust people to treat them with respect, therefore, they should either be banned or licensed as restrictively as possible.
i dont think they need to be banned or licensed anymore then they already are....but when people are stupid with their equipment and it kills one of their own family members, that's their fault. had they taken the proper care of their firearm, their child would still be alive. no reason i (as a gun owner who does take the right measures to keep my gun safe) should be punished just because these douches chose not to keep their children safe.

gatagato, Impotent Rage, Megamel29