Male

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 15/20
Today Posts
9/11 sssss5088
Re: 47 Shot. 5 Dead, Normal Weekend In Chicago

It should be pretty obvious to most that there's no magic-pill solution to inner-city gun violence. Banning guns isn't the answer because criminals don't obey these laws and a ban violates the constitutional rights of most others. More guns isn't a solution either because as in this case, the the victim was killed by a stray bullet. CWP may make people feel safer, but that's all it really is, a feeling, you're not really that much safer. Should you actually be robbed or assaulted, you're counting on the idea that you'll see your attacker coming and be able to get at your weapon and get off a shot before it's too late. In truth, most crime including violent crime is at 40 year lows, but those crimes that do exist are hyped up in the media to scare the hell out of people who...buy more guns.

But Chicago is a problem without an answer it seems. This is a generational and cultural issue with the utter social collapse of various minority communities at the root. Change will have to start with the youth (if that's even possible). It's shameful that in a country like this that the warring factions (people with varying attitudes about guns) can't come together to even begin to address the problem with thoughtful solutions.

No, I don't want anyone to take your guns, no I don't want you to have to register them or restrict your rights, but I would like to hear reasonable ideas about how to end the violence.

I don't know if it's plausible or not, but Chicago is such a mess, I'm thinking that anyone who's arrested or detained while possessing a gun whether in commission of a crime or not, if they can't provide proof of legal ownership, lock 'em up, throw away the key...see how if this has an effect on the problem. I'm sure this wouldn't work for various reasons, but maybe it's time for such measures

Old 07-26-2014, 02:01 AM
dean mclean
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:350
male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2115
Re: 47 Shot. 5 Dead, Normal Weekend In Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadjumper View Post
It should be pretty obvious to most that there's no magic-pill solution to inner-city gun violence. Banning guns isn't the answer because criminals don't obey these laws and a ban violates the constitutional rights of most others. More guns isn't a solution either because as in this case, the the victim was killed by a stray bullet. CWP may make people feel safer, but that's all it really is, a feeling, you're not really that much safer. Should you actually be robbed or assaulted, you're counting on the idea that you'll see your attacker coming and be able to get at your weapon and get off a shot before it's too late. In truth, most crime including violent crime is at 40 year lows, but those crimes that do exist are hyped up in the media to scare the hell out of people who...buy more guns.

But Chicago is a problem without an answer it seems. This is a generational and cultural issue with the utter social collapse of various minority communities at the root. Change will have to start with the youth (if that's even possible). It's shameful that in a country like this that the warring factions (people with varying attitudes about guns) can't come together to even begin to address the problem with thoughtful solutions.

No, I don't want anyone to take your guns, no I don't want you to have to register them or restrict your rights, but I would like to hear reasonable ideas about how to end the violence.

I don't know if it's plausible or not, but Chicago is such a mess, I'm thinking that anyone who's arrested or detained while possessing a gun whether in commission of a crime or not, if they can't provide proof of legal ownership, lock 'em up, throw away the key...see how if this has an effect on the problem. I'm sure this wouldn't work for various reasons, but maybe it's time for such measures
CPD is stretched pretty thin already, there's no way they have the time or manpower to prosecute that many cases. And sadly a ton of this violence is being perpetrated by minors and high school kids who aren't even 18 yet. Throwing them into the prison system (which for many is seen as a badge of honor) isn't going to get at the core problems. The real problem is a combination of drugs and segregation, which makes gang activity lucrative business and territorial conflicts and "beefs" financially motivated, and concentrates all of this activity in sequestered neighborhoods on the south and west sides making policing such areas very difficult. Its also difficult to keep track of as many of the major gangs were splintered in the 90's when the city began tearing down housing projects and putting many of the major gang leaders in jail (or moving them to other prisons where they couldn't run things from behind bars). Additionally the Sinaloa cartel still has a big foothold which means there's a steady stream of drugs and guns. The best thing (in my opinion) to do is cut off the flow of illegal drugs (through legalization or prosecution), and provide more low income housing on the north side/promote business and economic growth on the south side.