Poster Rank:189
Male

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 15/20
Today Posts
8/11 sssss5087
Re: 44+ Gun Companies Stop Selling to Law Enforcement in Anti-2nd Amendment States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaj12 View Post
Why is a gun company responsible for person 1 shooting person 2?

Should Toyota be responsible when person 1 has road rage and crashes their Prius into person 2?
Your examples aren't analogous to the real issue. It's tort liability, essentially it's an issue of negligence. And if it can be proved in a court of law, then it should be recompensable. All congress did was give almost anyone associated with gun sales or distribution a total pass...

Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 PM
pbaj12
Offline:
Captain of a Sinking Ship
Poster Rank:887
Contributions: 14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 10/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss523
Re: 44+ Gun Companies Stop Selling to Law Enforcement in Anti-2nd Amendment States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadjumper View Post
Your examples aren't analogous to the real issue. It's tort liability, essentially it's an issue of negligence. And if it can be proved in a court of law, then it should be recompensable. All congress did was give almost anyone associated with gun sales or distribution a total pass...
Give me an example where a manufacturer should be liable and they aren't because of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 AM
Broadjumper
Offline:
My Rank: SECOND LIEUTENANT
Poster Rank:189
Male

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 15/20
Today Posts
8/11 sssss5087

Quote:
Give me an example where a manufacturer should be liable and they aren't because of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.
**sigh**

First off, this does more than simply indemnify manufacturers, it "prohibit[s] causes of action against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and importers of firearms or ammunition products..."

And if you can't think of a SINGLE example where ONE of this protected class of 'businessmen' could be or should be open to liability, then I'm not gonna waste my time spelling it out for you, you're hopeless.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:13 AM
pbaj12
Offline:

Activity Longevity
2/20 10/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss523

Quote:
**sigh**

First off, this does more than simply indemnify manufacturers, it "prohibit[s] causes of action against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and importers of firearms or ammunition products..."

Yes, I've already said who is covered under the law but it's a little easier to name one of them instead of all of them every single time. I'll name them all for you in the future.

And if you can't think of a SINGLE example where ONE of this protected class of 'businessmen' could be or should be open to liability, then I'm not gonna waste my time spelling it out for you, you're hopeless.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me in a paragraph what a waste of time it would be to give me a SINGLE example.

I forgot you think manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and importers of firearms or ammunition products should be responsible for a person's actions, even though they're only affiliated with a person by giving them a correctly functioning product.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:58 PM
GregK
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:313
male

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2473

America aint loosing our guns. Just like we aint gonna stop smoking tabacco, doing deugs and getting drunk. The american way. Im not worried. I tried to work in as many 'aint's' as possible. Thank you.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM
GregK
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:313
male

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2473

Why would a gun or gun supply comp. be liable for someone using their product in a violent way? Knives, hatchet, axes....hell even swords are mannufactured for a reason. If people decide to use such items as weapons thats human error.

The Following User Says Thank You to GregK For This Useful Post:
pbaj12
Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM
johnleeknoefler
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:229
Male
Contributions: 26

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866

Quote:
I didn't say that, the question is WHY should they be immune to lawsuits if there's legitimate legal grounds for one? If a weapon is needlessly (negligently) dangerous or if they've distributed them carelessly, then why shouldn't they be liable to be sued?
Can you site a specific incident or are you simply tilting at windmills?

Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 PM
johnleeknoefler
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:229
Male
Contributions: 26

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866

Quote:
So then why isn't Holder being prosecuted? He did negligently cause firearms to be distributed to Mexican drug cartels. He ordered gun dealers to make sales to straw purchasers and then watched while the guns were transported to Mexico.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 PM
osmosis321
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3560

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssssss58

Quote:
Why is a gun company responsible for person 1 shooting person 2?

Should Toyota be responsible when person 1 has road rage and crashes their Prius into person 2?
That's not his point. His point is that the gun industry enjoys protections afforded to no other industry.
Should Toyota be responsible? That's the point. If it were Toyota, there would at least be a *chance* of having a wrong righted. The issue would make it to court and a decision made. With industry protection like the gun lobby has, the issue won't even get into court. The decision's already been made.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:46 AM
pbaj12
Offline:

Activity Longevity
2/20 10/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss523

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmosis321 View Post
That's not his point. His point is that the gun industry enjoys protections afforded to no other industry.
Should Toyota be responsible? That's the point. If it were Toyota, there would at least be a *chance* of having a wrong righted. The issue would make it to court and a decision made. With industry protection like the gun lobby has, the issue won't even get into court. The decision's already been made.
What other industry has had people suing a manufacturer for making a legal, correctly functioning product that was sold legally to a person which broke laws to hurt/kill someone?

And no, Toyota shouldn't be responsible (and shouldn't be able to be sued at all) for a person driving a legal, correctly functioning Toyota and crashing into someone else because of road rage. I'd like to think a person wouldn't need a court to figure that one out.

Would it be okay to make laws like the PLCAA for other industries?

If I had my legally owned gun kept in a locked safe and a person broke in, stole it then killed someone with it..do you think I should be responsible?