Poster Rank:2937

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss79
Re: 4 Dead After Drunk Driver Plows into Oklahoma State Homecoming Parade

I hate to say it but I'll be very surprised if she gets a lot of prison time. The US courts tend to give drunk drivers light sentences even when they kill people. In 2013 a judge sentenced a teenager to 10 years of probation for killing 4 people while driving drunk.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Couch

And this fine chap
http://kxan.com/2015/09/11/driver-wh...tes-probation/
keeps driving drunk, and when he killed someone when driving drunk he only got 6 months in prison.

Then there's this guy
http://www.fredericksburg.com/local/...ea1b3c67b.html
who only had to serve 15 months for killing a woman while driving drunk.

Cases like that are incredibly easy to find in a google search because there are sooooo many of them.

I expect the OSU driver will serve no more than 2-3 years despite killing 4 people so far. I'd rather see her locked up permanently.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goober For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Pigeon
Old 10-26-2015, 04:47 AM
Xfactor
Offline:
Avoiding Limelight
Poster Rank:98
Male
Contributions: 5

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10967

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
I hate to say it but I'll be very surprised if she gets a lot of prison time. The US courts tend to give drunk drivers light sentences even when they kill people. In 2013 a judge sentenced a teenager to 10 years of probation for killing 4 people while driving drunk.

And this fine chap
keeps driving drunk, and when he killed someone when driving drunk he only got 6 months in prison.

Then there's this guy

Cases like that are incredibly easy to find in a google search because there are sooooo many of them.

I expect the OSU driver will serve no more than 2-3 years despite killing 4 people so far. I'd rather see her locked up permanently.

She will do time. Too much exposure and she killed a baby.

Oswald2001
Old 10-26-2015, 09:59 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssss61221

So now they're playing the mentally ill card. Stupid drunkass should suffer for a long time for what she did

Old 10-26-2015, 10:16 AM
RealityUnfolding
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:963
Female
Contributions: 14

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss458

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post

And this fine chap

Then there's this guy

Not quite comparable, Couch was a minor. Minors rarely serve lengthy time in drunk-driving incidents.

In the other, there wasn't any proof to verify anyone's story (fault on causation), and while he served 15 months, he has an extended sentence - a single slip up can land him in jail for the other 10 years. There were no witnesses and evidence couldn't prove she didn't have culpability as his defense alleged either.

This woman isn't a minor, and there's no question to what happened. There's video of it, that she hit the first group and kept right on going, on top of that. Like xfactor said, she also killed a kid. A quarter of her victims were kids.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealityUnfolding For This Useful Post:
gatagato, okidoll
Old 10-26-2015, 12:59 PM
vipersna
Offline:
Sexican
Poster Rank:150
Resident Nympho
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3937 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6399

I cant believe she has the ADACIAty to do this

Old 10-26-2015, 03:56 PM
okidoll
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3182

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss69

1 million dollar bond.

STILLWATER, Oklahoma - A bond has been set at $1 million for the driver accused of crashing her vehicle into a crowd of OSU homecoming onlookers Saturday.
Chambers, 25, was arrested Saturday on a driving under the influence complaint shortly after the crash. She is accused of causing a crash that led to the deaths of four people and the injuries of at least 46 others. She is being held on four counts of second-degree murder.

During an initial hearing Monday, Judge Thomas set a bond of $1 million for Chambers.

The court will continue the initial hearing at 1:30 p.m. on November 30. The State said it plans to charge Chambers with four counts of second-degree murder. They are worried about a fifth victim who is in a very fragile state.

Chambers' attorney Tony Coleman filed paperwork at the court clerk’s office Monday, asking for a mental evaluation for Chambers. Coleman said he did not think Chambers was driving under the influence at the time, but was mentally ill.

http://www.news9.com/story/30351089/...dacia-chambers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to okidoll For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Xfactor
Old 10-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Xfactor
Offline:
Avoiding Limelight
Poster Rank:98
Male
Contributions: 5

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10967

Some witnesses are saying she sped up. Now you see why the defense attorney claiming she has mental issues. Avoiding capital punishment.

Annoyed, Azimuth, gatagato, okidoll, Pigeon
Old 10-26-2015, 05:30 PM
okidoll
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3182

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss69

OH yeah, definitely. He's going to go with the best chance for his client.

Her father keeps doing interviews and let this little tidbit out.

http://kfor.com/2015/10/26/i-didnt-k...suspects-past/

“There was just some things that she said in the past and some, just recently, she had a mental hospital she went to in Wagoner at one time. They had her for a couple of weeks and they released her and there’s really nothing else they could do for her. So I took her to another place when she got out of there and basically the same thing. She was feeling fine and, you know, at the point she was 21, so I’d done all I could do as a father. I didn’t know where else to turn and what to do,” he said."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to okidoll For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Pigeon
Old 10-26-2015, 11:06 PM
RealityUnfolding
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:963
Female
Contributions: 14

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss458

Quote:
Originally Posted by okidoll View Post
OH yeah, definitely. He's going to go with the best chance for his client.

Her father keeps doing interviews and let this little tidbit out.

http://kfor.com/2015/10/26/i-didnt-k...suspects-past/

“There was just some things that she said in the past and some, just recently, she had a mental hospital she went to in Wagoner at one time. They had her for a couple of weeks and they released her and there’s really nothing else they could do for her. So I took her to another place when she got out of there and basically the same thing. She was feeling fine and, you know, at the point she was 21, so I’d done all I could do as a father. I didn’t know where else to turn and what to do,” he said."
While I'm not buying the mentally ill angle in this story, only Cali and NY have Laura's Law and Kendra's Law - respectively - that allows a group of providers and family have an adult involuntarily committed.

In most other states, the best that can be done is a 72 hour hold, and if they don't manage to hurt themselves or others, they have to be let out. Until they pose an imminent threat (i.e. knife TO someone's throat or their own), then there's not a lot parents can do. My biggest fear is my son will stop medicating once he hits of age.

In several states, minors can even refuse to take meds, I think Texas and Utah, IIRC allow 12yo and older to refuse meds and treatment.

However, in this case - just as I do with all cases even if I accepted mental illness - they should be charged. Their being not of the right state of mind doesn't mean the crime isn't committed.

She has at least 4 charges of murder and over 40 charges of some form of attempted murder, all with negligence boosts and possibly even federal charges if they consider the car a weapon - which they absolutely can do.

Let's just say she gets "right" while incarcerated (which rarely happens, jails never have meds consistently), she won't get right when she realizes she killed a kid if she's anything at all of the type of human you want associating with society anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealityUnfolding For This Useful Post:
gatagato, okidoll
Old 10-27-2015, 08:48 AM
ludokressh
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:759

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 3/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss685

Mentally ill or not, she drove a car into a crowd of people, killing 4 and injuring 40 some others. On some level she should be held accountable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ludokressh For This Useful Post:
okidoll, Pigeon, tbone79