Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss25847
Re: 3-Year-Old Braelynn Rayne Coulter Killed By Pit Bull

Pit bulls attack 3 before being shot
U-T San Diego ‎- 3 hours ago

Quote:
SAN DIEGO — Three rampaging pit bulls attacked three Bay Terraces residents and sent them scrambling for safety Tuesday morning before a San Diego police officer shot the dogs.

The dogs all died after the barrage of gunfire on Petal Drive, near Dillard Street, about 8:30 a.m.

A 78-year-old retired Navy chief was bitten first, when he went outside to get his newspaper. The animals then charged a woman and bit her ankle before she could scale a neighbor’s 4-foot fence.

Then the dogs turned on 19-year-old Michael Ward, who stepped out of his Petal Drive house to find out why a woman was yelling.

“She was trying to get away from three large pit bulls,” Ward said. “Then they came chasing after me. One bit my thigh and one bit the side of my ribs.

“I was like, I’ve got to get out of here. They went pretty fast, ran after me, jumped on me. I closed the door behind me real fast.”

A police officer arrived while the dogs were near Ward’s house, and shot all three animals. Two died in the street another was euthanized at a veterinary clinic because of its severe wounds, said county Department of Animal Services Lt. Kalani Hudson.

Hudson said the dogs had no ID tags or microchips, and the owner had not come forward. Residents said they’d never seen the dogs before in the usually quiet neighborhood.

Carolyn Law was in her Dillard Street home when she heard numerous gunshots and dogs yelping in pain. She looked down onto Petal Street from her backyard.

“An officer had his gun drawn and a dog was in the gutter,” Law said. “Then I saw the dog get up. That was shocking. That dog was Cujo. The officer shot him one more time, and it was still standing, then he shot it one more time and it fell.”

Amy Hastings and her niece, on Petal Street, also heard the gunfire and went outside to find a neighbor woman in their yard.

“She said the dogs attacked her. She was bit on the back of her ankle. We brought her inside and gave her a blanket,” Hastings said. She said she was relieved to find that her own pit bull mix was not involved.

Paramedics bandaged the woman’s wounds and Ward’s. The older man was taken to a hospital with minor to moderate wounds.

His neighbor on Dillard, Rosalinda Falaminiano, said the man gets his paper from the driveway every morning, and takes walks with his wife.

“We don’t have any dogs on this end of the street, but there are pit bulls on Petal and Jouglard,” Falaminiano said. “This is a quiet neighborhood, an older neighborhood.”

Across Dillard, homeowner Giovanni Jefferson, 28, said the gunfire woke him up.

“Nine gunshots were my alarm clock,” he said. “I told my wife, ‘oh no, time to move.’”

Statistics compiled by DogsBite.org show that pit bulls were responsible for 25 of the 32 fatal dog bites in the United States last year. Bull mastiffs and German shepherds were each blamed for killing two people. Supporters of the pit bull point out it is a very common breed, and contend it is no more likely than other breeds to attack if raised with proper training, love and responsible ownership.
Source

The Following User Says Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
TwistedSisterr
Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Olivia
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:46

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 9973 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss18903

This is an interesting FB page. Draw your own conclusions.
https://www.facebook.com/TheWorkingA...rrier?filter=3

The Following User Says Thank You to Olivia For This Useful Post:
TwistedSisterr
Old 04-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10914 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss25847

12 dog bite related fatalities this year in the US.

7 cases involved pits. 60%? Seems about right.

The Following User Says Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
TwistedSisterr
Old 04-02-2014, 04:37 PM
TwistedSisterr
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:427
Tenacious Bigmouth
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1601

I personally am terrified of them.... for no good reason other than what I have seen and heard
they are absolutely beautiful though........
my sister has one, and she has my 8 month old niece...... i get worked up over it....

Old 04-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Olivia
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss18903

Metal Mike is absolutely correct. The Pit Bull has massive holding power in it's jaws. There bite force is well within the limits of a dog their size, but the ability to HOLD is outrageous. If you have never watched videos of Pits holding onto a spring pole 7 ft in the air, and hanging there for gawd knows how much time, you have missed a true phenomenon.

These dogs also have a GRAB and hold technique that few other breeds can rival. They go in the grab, let up without letting go, and go in deeper. They rarely let go.

There was a video on Youtube years ago that showed a man (in Russia I think...not sure) who was attacked by his Pit. He latched onto his arm while in his apartment. He and his friends used about everything they could to disengage the beast before police was called. The video simply showed him coming downstairs from his apartment with his dog attached to his arm and the police putting, I do believe, 4 shots in the dog before it would let go. Then several more were administered before the animal succumbed to death.

I do wish I could find that video....

Anyway, MM is pretty much right on it for the most part but there is a tool that is used for the Pit and it is called a break stick.

http://www.realpitbull.com/breakstick.html

I have lived with this breed. I had a break stick within reach everywhere the dog was allowed. NOT, and I repeat NOT because the dog was unstable as far as human aggression. The dog had dog on dog aggression. Period. Not human.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olivia For This Useful Post:
CrunchyCripple, TwistedSisterr
Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Olivia
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss18903

For some reason, I am getting the feeling that a woman's take on the American Pit Bull Terrier is not worth reading......maybe I am wrong. You don't have to be a male to know about this breed.

Just ask Diane Jessup.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olivia For This Useful Post:
CrunchyCripple, TwistedSisterr
Old 04-02-2014, 06:20 PM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
Poster Rank:364
Female

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 7/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2030

I also have break sticks. Never had to use them, but good to have, just in case of a dog fight.

The American pit bull breed hasn't been ruined. There's still a healthy population of well bred dogs being produced by people who know what they're doing. As long as there's clubs and breed standards, there will be true-bred dogs.

No matter the breed, there's many people out there breeding the wrong dogs, making bastardized versions of it. It may look good on the outside, but may be total crap in the behavioral department.

Don't get your dogs from people who don't know what they're doing. Unless you study up on how the breed is supposed to be, inside and out - how are you going to tell if the breeder is full of shit or not?

That includes shelters and such. Too many people want to help animals, but have no idea what they're doing. Just because someone tells you their dog is good, doesn't make it a true fact.

The Following User Says Thank You to CrunchyCripple For This Useful Post:
TwistedSisterr
Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 PM
TwistedSisterr
Offline:
Poster Rank:427
Tenacious Bigmouth
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1601

has anyone ever looked at the amount of ads on craiglist for "free to good home" pits bulls? The CL here is ridiculous..... they are passed around from home to home until they end up in a shelter. THAT is bullshit to me
that is where my sister got her one year old pit from....... and she leaves it unattended with my niece and im afraid one day.....

Old 04-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Olivia
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss18903

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedSisterr View Post
has anyone ever looked at the amount of ads on craiglist for "free to good home" pits bulls? The CL here is ridiculous..... they are passed around from home to home until they end up in a shelter. THAT is bullshit to me
that is where my sister got her one year old pit from....... and she leaves it unattended with my niece and im afraid one day.....
And for everyone of those ads there are ads in newspapers for pit pups.

It is outrageous and disgusting.

My daughter got her pit from a rescue. It was rescued by the organization when there was a sting at a local dog fighting group. The pup was 8 weeks old and had been used for baiting purposes. She has the scars to show for it. In horrid condition and was not adoptable until 2 months later.

The Following User Says Thank You to Olivia For This Useful Post:
TwistedSisterr
Old 04-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Olivia
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss18903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
America!
I have to tell ya this, sweetie, but dog fighting is more prevalent in other countries than here in the US.

We have nothing on what goes in other countries.