Go Back  

3 Year Old Boy Functions Without Cerebellum or Pons! 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 AM
d23623d
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1517
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss225
3 Year Old Boy Functions Without Cerebellum or Pons!

BUFFALO, N.Y. — According to conventional medical wisdom, three-year-old Chase Britton shouldn’t be able to walk. He shouldn’t be able to stand, let alone balance himself as he puts one foot in front of the other. The fact that he even breathes on his own is nothing short of remarkable.

He is, quite simply, a medical miracle.

Chase doesn’t have a cerebellum, the part of the brain that plays an important role in motor control, coordination, balance and emotional function. The little boy from Buffalo, N.Y., has stumped doctors and scientists, and challenged the medical establishment’s understanding of how the brain works.

“Chase has defied all of our expectations,” said Dr. Luther Robinson, director of clinical genetics at the Women and Children’s Hospital of Buffalo, who has been treating Chase since he was born. “When you think about the area of the brain that is involved . . . we would have predicted a far worse outcome. His case is astounding.”

Heather Britton, Chase’s mom, says her son seemed like any other normal baby at first, except for the fact that he was born legally blind. But when Chase was about six months old, he started having trouble with his motor skills, she said.

Fearing a possible early onset of mild cerebral palsy, doctors ordered Chase to undergo an MRI. The results were bewildering.

“We got a call the very next day, and they didn’t quite know what to tell us,” Britton said from her home in Buffalo, where she lives with her husband David, Chase and elder son, Alex.

At first, doctors thought Chase had severe cerebellar hypoplasia, a disorder in which the cerebellum is not completely mature at birth. But further tests revealed that Chase simply didn’t have a cerebellum — at all.

What makes the case even more bizarre is that pre-natal images of Chase show that he did have a cerebellum. But it just disappeared when he was born.

“Knowing he had a cerebellum, there should have been some tissue left,” Britton said. “And if there were some kind of injury, the rest of the brain would show evidence of that. But the rest of his brain is absolutely fine. Everyone is baffled.”

Doctors also discovered he was born without a pons, the part of the brain that helps automatically regulate some of the body’s basic functions, such as sleeping, breathing and swallowing.

Yet he seems to have no problem with any of those. In fact, Chase has continued to develop his speech and motor skills, albeit slowly, against all expectations.

He can now stand up by himself with the help of nearby furniture. He walks with the aid of a walker. He laughs. He signs. He’s potty training. His vocabulary has expanded now to 75 words, a number that is growing daily as Chase imitates his parents, who ensure he is constantly stimulated.

“He surprises us all the time with sentences he’ll repeat and things he’ll just come out with,” said Britton. “He’s not at age level for (speech development), but he’s constantly progressing.”

Dr. Adre du Plessis, chief of fetal and transitional medicine at Children’s National Medical Centre in Washington, D.C., who has been working with Chase for the past two years, calls his patient’s diagnosis a “mystery.”

“He clearly is doing much better than we would have expected based on conventional wisdom,” he said.

Robinson says Chase’s case is teaching doctors and researchers to be “cautiously optimistic” when it comes to diagnosing patients, “because kids don’t always meet what the statistical data would suggest.”

“This is something I’ve never seen before,” he said. “We’re working on trying to figure out what this means from a brain embryology point of view, and from a genetic expressions point of view, among others. There are a lot of questions that we have yet to answer as far as Chase’s case is concerned.”

Record news services

--Taken from Guelphmercury.com--
--Authored by Kenyon Wallace--

Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392
Re: 3 Year Old Boy Functions Without Cerebellum or Pons!

Miracle

Old 02-18-2011, 01:29 PM
PoetsOfTheFall
Offline:
℃я@їℊ‷﹩**ℓ☺ ♥℮
Poster Rank:54
female

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 6577 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16633

Brave boy

Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Phobophile
Offline:
Ien twa trije!
Poster Rank:409
Male

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1744

Old 02-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Mortalitas
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3230
Female

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss68

Fascinating!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 AM
jinzo
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:2926
female

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss79

remarkable wee fella

Old 03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:451
Men

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1440

Now that's stubborn! NO ONE, but NO ONE tells that boy what he can and can not do!

YOU GO, BOY!!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Kim
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:545
Female

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1122

Go Chase!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Gregore Mortis
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1160
Male

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss333

Oh yeah? My dad keeps telling my brother doesn't have a brain. Yet, there he is, annoying as fuck and trolling everyone irl.