Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss523
Re: 28 dead in Connecticut school shooting massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny007 View Post
First of all just want to say were all thinking of you guys here down under, but since you're all talking gun control. In Australia, there's been one mass shooting since port arthur,where 2 died and 5 were injured. The Australian goverment did a buy back of semi automatic and high powered weapons, most of the shootings happening here atm are gang related and are black market stolen weapons,but that's not to say it cant happen again all it takes is one looney with the right connections. Americans can still have the right to bear arms but is it really nessisary to have military grade weapons unless you are licenced collector.
I think that would be the best way. Restrict the sale* of semi-auto weapons and then do buy backs. And not cheap buy backs like they currently do..no way I'd give up my $3000 rifle for a $100 gift card. Now $4500 is a different story. But that will never happen.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Impotent Rage
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:916
Contributions: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss490

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaj12 View Post
no way I'd give up my $3000 rifle for a $100 gift card. Now $4500 is a different story. But that will never happen.
They had an amnesty in Britain. I clearly remember seeing some really impressive weapons piled up and nobody got a penny for them.

Buy backs make much more sense.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Zambini
Offline:
Instigator Extraordinaire
Poster Rank:53
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 8092 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impotent Rage View Post
BTW, I live in the one of the most violent cities in the UK. We have loads of gang violence that never escalates to drive-by shootings. If there were casually owned hand guns lying around gang-member's relatives houses then it would surely be a very different story.

Only the "professional" criminals seem to possess guns. There have been assassinations in my area but, (and let me be clear that I have no respect for these people), they are conducted by criminals who do a brilliant job at never getting caught. They are professional, precision hits. If the knife-wielding young idiots had guns there would be shootings every night!
I see your point, and the one I'm trying to make is that people don't need guns to kill each other, being crazy is enough to use a gun, axe, box cutter, brick etc, etc.

Here are two links to a couple of Wiki pages, yeah, I know it's wiki but the facts are still true.

One shows Homicide rates worldwide, higher in most countries without access to guns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

One shows Countries with access to guns, many with surprisingly low homicide rates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number...ita_by_country

We can all agree it was a horrible crime committed by a crazy, and many lives will never be the same

Impotent Rage
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Impotent Rage
Offline:

Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambini View Post
I see your point, and the one I'm trying to make is that people don't need guns to kill each other, being crazy is enough to use a gun, axe, box cutter, brick etc, etc.
I know but it seems that guns in the wrong hands cause escalations that should be the preserve of uncivilised, third world countries and action movies. Perhaps America is as brutal as the likes of Syria or DRC? I don't know! If it is, then don't people feel compelled to change that?

I've been watching a load of Cops episodes tonight and it's roughly averaging a firearm incident per episode. The last one I watched, the cop dealing with a perpetrator who was a 19 year old convicted shooter with a concealed, unlicensed weapon and the boy had several bullet wounds. The cop said you'll probably "just" get an unlicensed or concealed carry charge for this! I don't know how serious that is but he seemed quite genuine and deliberate when he said "just". In the UK, a kid carrying a handgun would be facing serious time.

In my recollection of the plethora of British equivalents to Cops, I have seen just one episode with guns involved.

I honestly would agree with the personal protection argument if I could ever find some evidence that innocent victims and bystanders are effectively curbing crime. I recently saw a video of a pensioner shooting up a would-be robber. Stories like that seem so rare.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Impotent Rage
Offline:

Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss490

The BBC World Service just posted this on Facebook:

Quote:
In a country where gun culture is so entrenched, is any tightening of America's gun laws really possible, even after yet another mass shooting, this time in the small Connecticut community of Newtown? It might be useful for President Obama to look to Australia. In 1996, a lone gunman killed 20 people with his first 29 bullets, all in the space of 90 seconds in Tasmania, the then Prime Minister John Howard swiftly announced nationwide gun-law reform and attitudes to firearms and gun laws changed almost overnight. Tune in for this story and more on Newsday on air from 0300 to 0830 GMT.
I'll be listening with great interest.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Zambini
Offline:
Instigator Extraordinaire
Poster Rank:53
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 8092 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impotent Rage View Post
I know but it seems that guns in the wrong hands cause escalations that should be the preserve of uncivilised, third world countries and action movies. Perhaps America is as brutal as the likes of Syria or DRC? I don't know! If it is, then don't people feel compelled to change that?

I've been watching a load of Cops episodes tonight and it's roughly averaging a firearm incident per episode. The last one I watched, the cop dealing with a perpetrator who was a 19 year old convicted shooter with a concealed, unlicensed weapon and the boy had several bullet wounds. The cop said you'll probably "just" get an unlicensed or concealed carry charge for this! I don't know how serious that is but he seemed quite genuine and deliberate when he said "just". In the UK, a kid carrying a handgun would be facing serious time.

In my recollection of the plethora of British equivalents to Cops, I have seen just one episode with guns involved.

I honestly would agree with the personal protection argument if I could ever find some evidence that innocent victims and bystanders are effectively curbing crime. I recently saw a video of a pensioner shooting up a would-be robber. Stories like that seem so rare.
People (criminals) shoot each other with great regularity in the USA, most of us see it as a form of birth control.

The type of story I'm going to post is common for my newspaper, repeated daily:

Posted: Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012

Teenage girls get in fight, two shot

Two teenage girls were sent to the hospital with gunshot wounds Saturday when they got in an altercation with two other females, police said.

Around 4:09 p.m., police responded to a shooting at the corner of Beatties Ford and Dr. Webber roads.

Police said that Devonna Laricia Moses, 36, and Myetta Harris, 16, used the same gun to shoot a 14-year-old and 16-year-old teenager in their “lower extremities.”

“They had a disagreement,” Lt. Todd Garrett said. “They’re still investigating that part of it.”

The victims suffered non-life threatening injuries, he added.

Moses was charged with discharging a firearm within city limits and Harris was charged with assault.

Subscribe to The Charlotte Observer.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

Incidents by "people" and I use that term loosely, like this are why many Americans feel the need to protect themselves, if the bad guys are crazy enough to shoot each other, then they won't hesitate to shoot you too.

Sad but true

Old 12-16-2012, 09:54 PM
kasapin
Offline:
Poster Rank:1015

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss417

the thing with gun control is that .. a criminal ..looney .. or anyone that looks to harm others will always find a way to buy or own a gun. And regular people will not. If you people can't understand that ... I am sad for you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kasapin For This Useful Post:
LadyCPlum, pbaj12, whoreofbabalon, Zambini
Old 12-16-2012, 11:49 PM
whoreofbabalon
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:7059
Female

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss17

If we get rid of guns & gun violence continues, the next inevitable step is obvious. "Since human beings are the direct link between creating the concept or idea of something bad happening & having the ability to make something bad happen, I propose we sanction humans. We must have stricter laws against humans so that no further humans are permitted to go out committing heinous acts against anything they feel the need to act towards. Let us get together today & take a stand against humanity."

Haven't we all read "1984" & "Brave New World"?? Have we just relinquished our desires to critically think??

The Following User Says Thank You to whoreofbabalon For This Useful Post:
LadyCPlum
The Following Users Disliked This Post By whoreofbabalon:
meade2763
Old 12-17-2012, 01:28 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudebwoy View Post
Wow! Notice how most of the victims were females. Guy had some issues :D

I did. I was talking with a friend on facebook about that and he did kill his mother.

His parents were divorced.

A slide show just added to our local news website
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/gallery?...920291&photo=1

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
kids.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
rabenson