Activity Longevity
5/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4417
Re: 22 Yr Old Hottie Mauled to Death by Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink. View Post
agreed.

But there is more to this story than just what the news and police reports indicate.

First of all. Tresspassing is not a death penalty case.

second: Why was she inside THEIR enclosure?..and although it is apparent that she was, was she familiar with these animals?....Because they are pitbulls or pitbull mixes, they are automatically looked upon with suspicion.
I fully agree that trespassing shouldn't be a death penalty... but try explaining that to a dog. ANY dog. My Great Dane does not take kindly to uninvited guests. The Akita I owned before that was the same. Admittedly all my dogs have more than just basic obedience training; my father and I used to train police and guard dogs, and we know to what level each dog can be trained appropriately.

No, she didn't deserve to die for her mistake... but it's a hell of a bloody stupid mistake for her to make, and it's an unfortunate price to pay. And I still wouldn't fault the dogs in this case.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Desensitisation For This Useful Post:
CrunchyCripple, facing_reality, ForgetMeNot, hooverj, Oswald2001, Pink.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:38 AM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:364
Female

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desensitisation View Post
Admittedly all my dogs have more than just basic obedience training; my father and I used to train police and guard dogs, and we know to what level each dog can be trained appropriately.
Even then, even the best training is only reliable when there's a handler there to guide the dog. I think a lot of people don't really get that. (in general, not you)

They are not programmable robots that can be set like an alarm clock or coffee pot and leave to do their job.

Police K9's don't work on their own, nor do herding dogs, nor military dogs.

There are dogs that are left to guard a herd or flock, or yard - but can you say how far they're going to go when a threat is present? Even if they've only barked 99 other times - they might take it further the 100'th. It's something that a dog owner always has to keep in mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to CrunchyCripple For This Useful Post:
facing_reality
Old 12-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
Poster Rank:8
female

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 9043 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyksleevemuckyey View Post
Oh, I apologise. Yorkshire Terriers aren't dogs. I must remember that.

What is classed as a dog to you then?
Actually, it was a JOKE....

*good Lord people really take things SO seriously*

The little SHITS ARE MORE LIKE PEOPLE IN SO MANY WAYS...and not all good ways either...
i had encounters with my grandmothers MANIPULATIVE CONNIVING little bitches WHO MADE IT NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE TO RENDER CARE TO HER. WE WENT THROUGH numerous home health providers in the end....and DONT TELL ME THOSE LITTLE SHITS DID NOT KNOW that they were being "difficult".

add to that....the fear of always hurting them. Its not even like handling chiuauahs!!! They act like bitches and are too delicate!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post:
facing_reality
Old 12-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
female

Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desensitisation View Post
I fully agree that trespassing shouldn't be a death penalty... but try explaining that to a dog. ANY dog. My Great Dane does not take kindly to uninvited guests. The Akita I owned before that was the same. Admittedly all my dogs have more than just basic obedience training; my father and I used to train police and guard dogs, and we know to what level each dog can be trained appropriately.

No, she didn't deserve to die for her mistake... but it's a hell of a bloody stupid mistake for her to make, and it's an unfortunate price to pay. And I still wouldn't fault the dogs in this case.
^ agreed.

I am in the same situation as you with the dogs and their level of training.

some dogs are retired or injured and we have adopted them. Usually, a "K9" stays with his or her partners for life, but sometimes not, and we have been here to adopt them. We have everything from guard dogss, trackers, to drug sniffing BICHON . They all have their individual personalities and quirks, and although we know their training levels, we can not assess each situation/

I do believe, though, that it is or SHOULD BE common sense to avoid entering any dogs territory...even if one is familiar with the dog.

Another thing is that I did not take into control the breed. I know nothing about them except for what I have researched and what the media pushes, which is a lot of sensationalism. Here in the "greater New Orleans Region", we have a large pitbull rescue center because they are considered to be misunderstood and villified.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post:
facing_reality, hooverj
Old 12-08-2015, 12:30 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3660
Re: 22 Yr Old Female Mauled to Death by Pitbull

People forget the name "pit bull" is exactly that. Dogs put in a pit to fight bulls.

Ever seen a bull? They're 1200lbs+ of rage. Now these animals face off against that. If you're going to step up to a dog like that you need to have a pet Tiger to show it whose boss.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ices For This Useful Post:
facing_reality, Oswald2001, Pink.
The Following Users Disliked This Post By ices:
ForgetMeNot
Old 12-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
female

Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
People forget the name "pit bull" is exactly that. Dogs put in a pit to fight bulls.

Ever seen a bull? They're 1200lbs+ of rage. Now these animals face off against that. If you're going to step up to a dog like that you need to have a pet Tiger to show it whose boss.
...or a conniving, plotting and scheming YORKIE to show him who is boss.

facing_reality
Old 12-08-2015, 01:54 PM
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:251
Hoosierb'strd
Contributions: 121

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink. View Post
Actually, it was a JOKE....

*good Lord people really take things SO seriously*

The little SHITS ARE MORE LIKE PEOPLE IN SO MANY WAYS...and not all good ways either...
i had encounters with my grandmothers MANIPULATIVE CONNIVING little bitches WHO MADE IT NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE TO RENDER CARE TO HER. WE WENT THROUGH numerous home health providers in the end....and DONT TELL ME THOSE LITTLE SHITS DID NOT KNOW that they were being "difficult".

add to that....the fear of always hurting them. Its not even like handling chiuauahs!!! They act like bitches and are too delicate!!
Ahh, sorry. It's hard to tell the context things are said in on the internet sometimes.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
female

Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyksleevemuckyey View Post
Ahh, sorry. It's hard to tell the context things are said in on the internet sometimes.
No problem. Some things I joke about and some I get carried away with and it all tends to look the same in print

My grandmother has been dead for over 4 years now, and those dogs are still protective of her old bedroom!!!

Its really bad with the oldest one....

slyksleevemuckyey
Old 12-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
female

Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

Another breed of dog that people underestimate is the welsh Corgie!!!

My GOD!!!!!

Old 12-08-2015, 08:14 PM
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:251
Hoosierb'strd
Contributions: 121

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3418

I had a Yorkie for a while that I took in when it was lost. It had a very weird temperament. One day it would let you tickle its belly, the next day if you even tried it would try and take your hand off. Eventually found it's owner, thank God.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slyksleevemuckyey For This Useful Post:
facing_reality, Oswald2001, Pink.