Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss406
Re: 22 Yr Old Hottie Mauled to Death by Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodgasm View Post
Pitbulls are terriers.
Yeah, I know. I just think it's funny, because when someone says "terrier" (at least around here) they're talking about a Yorkshire Terrier, & somebody made a joke about "Yorkie Rage." It's funny to me that it's the same class of dog. Like hearing someone say, "I was attacked by a terrier!" versus "I was attacked by a pit bull!" The latter would be taken seriously; the former would be laughed at.

To be fair, I have no idea what defines a "terrier." I suppose I could look it up, but that seems like too much effort...

The Following User Says Thank You to facing_reality For This Useful Post:
bloodgasm
Old 01-12-2016, 05:52 AM
Azimuth
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:33
Woman

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss23376
Re: 22 Yr Old Hottie Mauled to Death by Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by facing_reality View Post
Yeah, I know. I just think it's funny, because when someone says "terrier" (at least around here) they're talking about a Yorkshire Terrier, & somebody made a joke about "Yorkie Rage." It's funny to me that it's the same class of dog. Like hearing someone say, "I was attacked by a terrier!" versus "I was attacked by a pit bull!" The latter would be taken seriously; the former would be laughed at.

To be fair, I have no idea what defines a "terrier." I suppose I could look it up, but that seems like too much effort...
I was going to c+p the definition of "terrier" and the characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier as per the UKC, which is is the second oldest all-breed registry of purebred dogs in the United States and the second largest in the world.

But I did some reading instead. The terrier group of dogs is big, composed of many different breeds.

I found this on Wikipedia and I think it makes a lot of sense, don't you?

"In a peer-reviewed literature review of 66 dog bite risk studies, the American Veterinary Medical Association determined that "breed is a poor sole predictor of dog bites. Controlled studies reveal no increased risk for the group blamed most often for dog bites, ‘pit bull-type’ dogs. Accordingly, targeting this breed or any another as a basis for dog-bite prevention is unfounded. As stated by the National Animal Control Association: “Dangerous and/or vicious animals should be labeled as such as a result of their actions or behavior and not because of their breed.”

facing_reality, Pit Bull
Old 01-12-2016, 11:53 AM
facing_reality
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1028

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss406
Re: 22 Yr Old Female Mauled to Death by Pitbull

azimuth, Yeah, that's very interesting. Thanks!

That's very much in-line with a conversation I had on this topic since I was curious.

I asked a vet in the family, & this was their response: "All dogs can bite. It's a natural defense mechanism. Dogs that are trained to bite from a young age, usually can't be untrained. They're 'problem' dogs later in life. Usually, the dog [referring to a pet that's never bitten] gives warning signs. It's people that need to be trained to understand the dog, & kids are usually the worst."

For instance, if you've ever had that "cute" face where your dog leans away from a strange kid (nephew, etc.,) & gives you that look like, "Oh please, get me out of here!" You'll see the whites of the dog's eyes (they called it "half-moon-eye," or something like that.) Well, that's exactly what the dog's trying to tell you. That's a warning, "I'm uncomfortable. You're the alpha dog. Get me out of this situation, or I'm going to bite." Likewise, if other people are around, & suddenly the dog starts licking you, it's nervous energy. They're anxious, & they're trying to tell you that.

Of course they don't always bite, but when the dog's given plenty of warning (in its mind, which might be 1x or 1000x) then enough's enough, & they'll lash out. The vet definitely wasn't for "demonizing" certain breeds, but did say the breed should match the person's lifestyle. High-energy, sporting dogs need lots of attention & exercise, so if that isn't your lifestyle, they're going to have a lot of pent up energy. Add stress to that mix (i.e. the holidays; different schedule, lots of unfamiliar people; the dog sees your "odd" behavior, like putting a tree in the living room) & it could result in a bite. Familiarity, routine, & predictability are big deals to a dog.

That's why very "tolerant" breeds (i.e. Golden Retriever) tend to make the "best" pets, if by "best" we mean "compatible with most people." But even Retrievers need to retrieve, so they need attention & exercise, too.

I found that conversation very enlightening regarding this particular case. It's just my 2¢, & like I said, I had no opinion on pit-bulls prior to this, & didn't know there was a "controversy."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to facing_reality For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, CrunchyCripple, Pit Bull