Go Back  

2 Die After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
  #1  
Old 01-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Mr.Goodbar's Avatar
Mr.Goodbar
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:471
**Corpsegrinding 4 profit**
Join Date: Jul 2011
 
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1355
2 Die After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms



Quote:
THE New Year's Eve meal that contained death cap mushrooms and killed two people was prepared in a restaurant kitchen, Canberra health authorities said last night.

Chef Liu Jun, 38, who made the meal at the Chinese bistro in the Harmonie German Club, and a Chinese woman, Tsou Hsiang, 52, died from liver failure in a Sydney hospital while waiting for transplants.

Mystery surrounds another man, 51, who remains in Sydney's Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in a stable condition with death cap poisoning.
Advertisement: Story continues below

ACT Health initially said this man was part of the same group, but ACT police said this was not the case.

Health authorities inspected the restaurant and said there was no risk of exposure to the public.

Friends of the chef, who had spent several years working in Australia, said he was obsessed with fresh food. He was also working to send money home to his wife and two children, a seven-year-old boy and a girl, 11.

A sign at the Chinese bistro where the meal was prepared read: ''The Chinese Bistro will be closed until further notice due to illness'', it was reported last night. Inside, the remains of a meal sat on a table next to a counter.

A statement from the club last night offered condolences ''to the family and friends of our colleagues who died recently after an unfortunate event of eating death cap mushrooms at a private meal.''

''That particular meal was prepared for a private meal and was not part of the public menu,'' it added. The Herald does not suggest the meal was available to the public.

Mr Liu's friends believe he picked the poisonous mushrooms in Braddon on his way home from work, mistaking them for the edible straw mushrooms used in Asian cooking.

The four friends at the dinner were not members of the same family. A man in his 30s ate a small amount and left hospital on Tuesday.

Mr Liu's close friend Tom O'Dea said the man had eaten only a tiny portion of the deadly meal because he had been nervous about eating wild mushrooms.

Another person at the dinner had not eaten any mushrooms, and was unaffected.

''Liu Jun, being a chef, he's super into fresh food, and that's part of the problem here,'' Mr O'Dea said. ''You really just don't expect that you make one mistake while eating something like that and be dead, and dead within 48 hours in the most horrible way.''

Death caps are among the world's most deadly mushrooms.

Mr O'Dea said Mr Liu's wife is trying to organise travel to Canberra, but without a passport or visa is enduring long bureaucratic fights to cremate her husband.

Miss Tsou had been in Canberra for several months on a tourist visa. Her adult son is said to be having trouble raising funds for airfares and funeral expenses.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/deadl...105-1pn3g.html

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Goodbar For This Useful Post:
Dragonlady66
  #2  
Old 01-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Mr.Goodbar's Avatar
Mr.Goodbar
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:471
**Corpsegrinding 4 profit**
Join Date: Jul 2011
 
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1355
Re: 2 Die After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms

The guy who wrote the Horse Whisperer ate bad shrooms once.
Very lucky he is still alive. Had to get a liver from his daughter to live.
Quote:
Nicholas Evans: 'I wanted to die. It was so grim’
'The Horse Whisperer' author Nicholas Evans talks about his guilt at poisoning his family – and why he owes his life to his daughter.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...s-so-grim.html

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21
Join Date: Aug 2009
 
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585
Re: 2 Die After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms

Magic shrooms rock.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevee For This Useful Post:
Mr.Goodbar
  #4  
Old 01-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Mr.Goodbar's Avatar
Mr.Goodbar
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:471
**Corpsegrinding 4 profit**
Join Date: Jul 2011
 
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1355
Re: 2 Die After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve. View Post
Magic shrooms rock.
Yup, got to make sure you don't pick autumn skullcaps (aka deadly gallerina).
You will be very dead.

The thing with mushroom poisoning is that you feel ok for ages. After 15-16 hours you start to feel sick but then you actually feel like you're getting better and perhaps it was just something off. Of course you're getting very dead inside by then. Very nasty way to die

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Goodbar For This Useful Post:
Stevee
  #5  
Old 01-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Timoli
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2497
Join Date: Nov 2009
 
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss104
Re: 2 Die After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms

Pretty funny. I actually grew up in Canberra - and spent many years enjoying the experiences of the local magic mushrooms. "Blue Meanies" (as we knew them) are prolific, as are Death Caps - which we referred to as 50/50's because of the 50% chance of living. I never touched those fuckers.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Mr.Goodbar's Avatar
Mr.Goodbar
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:471
**Corpsegrinding 4 profit**
Join Date: Jul 2011
 
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1355
Re: 2 Die After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms

Dunno, i wouldn't call it funny.
You should call deathcaps 80/20s as you really do have a very good chance of dying if you eat enough. You'll need a liver transplant as it kills the organs cells and stops them growing

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Faline's Avatar
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Join Date: Jun 2009
Contributions: 226
 
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392
Re: 2 Die After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms


Reply With Quote

Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2010 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO