Go Back  

17 yo Sexual Assault Victim Could Face Charges for Tweeting Names of Attackers,Update 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 PM
gibeog
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:3045
male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss75
17 yo Sexual Assault Victim Could Face Charges for Tweeting Names of Attackers,Update

Quote:
UPDATE : ->here

A Kentucky girl who was sexually assaulted could face contempt of court charges after she tweeted the names of her juvenile attackers.

Savannah Dietrich, the 17-year-old victim, was frustrated by a plea deal reached late last month by the two boys who assaulted her, and took to Twitter to expose them--violating a court order to keep their names confidential.

"There you go, lock me up," Dietrich tweeted after naming the perpetrators. "I'm not protecting anyone that made my life a living Hell." Her Twitter account has since been closed.

Attorneys for the attackers asked a Jefferson District Court judge to hold Dietrich in contempt for lashing out on Twitter. She could face up to 180 days in jail and a $500 fine if convicted. The boys have yet to be sentenced for the August 2011 attack.

"So many of my rights have been taken away by these boys," Dietrich told Louisville's Courier-Journal. "I'm at the point, that if I have to go to jail for my rights, I will do it. If they really feel it's necessary to throw me in jail for talking about what happened to me as opposed to throwing these boys in jail for what they did to me, then I don't understand justice."

Dietrich was assaulted by the pair after passing out at a party. They later shared photos of the assault with friends.

"For months, I cried myself to sleep," Dietrich said. "I couldn't go out in public places."

On June 26, the boys pleaded guilty to first-degree sexual abuse and misdemeanor voyeurism. Terms of their plea agreement were not released.

"They got off very easy," Dietrich, who says she was unaware of the plea agreement before it was announced in court, said in her interview with the newspaper.

"They said I can't talk about it or I'll be locked up," Dietrich tweeted after hearing, according to the paper. "So I'm waiting for them to read this and lock me up."

"[Protecting rapists] is more important than getting justice for the victim in Louisville," she added.

A hearing for the contempt of court charge is scheduled for July 30. Attorneys for Dietrich want it open to the media, while the boys lawyers want it closed.

Both the Gannett-owned Courier-Journal and Dietrich's attorneys "have filed motions to open the proceedings, arguing she has a First Amendment right to speak about what happened in her case," the newspaper said.

An online petition asking the judge to throw out the charges against Dietrich, launched Saturday, has already accumulated hundreds of signatures.

"[She] should not be legally barred from talking about what happened to her," Gregg Leslie, executive director of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, told the Associated Press. "That's a wide-ranging restraint on speech."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...174732753.html

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gibeog For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, bdjackass318, diamondsmiles, Flaka, gatagato, juliemd, K9Grip, kellyhound, Lieberfrau, Paupercool1
Old 07-22-2012, 06:24 PM
k_dub
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:285

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2893
Re: 17-year-old Sexual Assault Victim Could Face Charges for Tweeting Names of Attack

They deserve to be exposed, they just lost their rights as humans. Duh

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to k_dub For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, diamondsmiles, Flaka, K9Grip, kellyhound, Lieberfrau, luciddrmr, Paupercool1
Old 07-22-2012, 06:50 PM
banana dick
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:481

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1327
Re: 17-year-old Sexual Assault Victim Could Face Charges for Tweeting Names of Attack

boils my fucking blood.

http://www.change.org/petitions/judg...annah-dietrich

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to banana dick For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, Creepy, diamondsmiles, icheerthebull, K9Grip, Lieberfrau
Old 07-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

Typical bullshit, the courts give more of a shit about the perps and not the victims, I also think plea bargaining is a load of horse shit too, you do the crime you do the time.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stevee For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, diamondsmiles, gatagato, juliemd, K9Grip, kellyhound, Lieberfrau
Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Seven Of Nine
Offline:
de-assimilated
Poster Rank:214
Female
Contributions: 4

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4126

Petition signed. Facebook link added. SOB's all of them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seven Of Nine For This Useful Post:
BryanXavier, diamondsmiles
Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM
bdjackass318
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST LIEUTENANT
Poster Rank:154
Contributions: 5

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6181

this is the way things work. i don't agree with it which is why i think so many things need to be changed within our justice system. It is pretty fucked up when the the perpetrators of the crime have more rights than the victim.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdjackass318 For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, diamondsmiles, Lieberfrau
Old 07-22-2012, 11:05 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss21528

This is one of the reasons alot of victims don't bother pressing charges.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Flaka
Offline:
Tuya
Poster Rank:19

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss37570

GTFO! The victims name can be plastered all over the news and papers but don't dare post names of the bastards. Fuck

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flaka For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, Creepy, diamondsmiles, Stevee
Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

Fucking sucks doesn't it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stevee For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Lieberfrau
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2354
Female

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117

Death to rapists, and if that's too much to ask, at least some terror by making sure those subhuman trashbags know their ID is out there. Anyone who deliberately, selfishly and needlessly gives an innocent person a significant amount of grief, should be stood up against a wall and have a bullet put in them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lieberfrau For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, diamondsmiles, k_dub